Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Consult with the designer or the company where you plan to take the door. If the material is flimsy, then you will have to supplement the door mount with various additional materials (which will look ugly). When I moved into a new apartment, the only drawback that it had - was the terrible doors. The mount looked fragile and the material didn't inspire confidence. I didn't want to repair everything, as it would take a large amount of money, so I ordered the new doors of this model. I, personally, tested the door fastenings for strength and to my surprise they passed all my tests. I've had these doors for two years, and they look great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MoriMillMan View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on the bostomatic

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
    We have a few up here, great for what we do. Take some loving to keep running. Yes on newer control, we have one in the works. The 400 is tall though, you'll have to remove the Z axis motor to get it down to 90" with counterbalance pullys intact. This is without it being on a heavy pallet truck. A 300/312 series would be a better fit.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentian View Post
    We have a few up here, great for what we do. Take some loving to keep running. Yes on newer control, we have one in the works. The 400 is tall though, you'll have to remove the Z axis motor to get it down to 90" with counterbalance pullys intact. This is without it being on a heavy pallet truck. A 300/312 series would be a better fit.
    What kind of repairs have needed made? It looks nice and simple and solid.

4. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just found out yesterday that a Hurco Hawk 40 will fit under a 7' door. It's 82-1/2 with the z-axis motor removed. Just cleared the 82-3/4" opening we have. No tool changer but a solid machine and we're very excited to have it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you have a weight estimate for this machine?

7. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    While I agree not having an enclosure is a PITA the fact the OP is concerned with door height makes me immediately dismiss any luxuries such as enclosures or necessities of production. I've seen people get by with some creative guarding.
    I generally agree that it is not an easy thing.
    I was able to squeeze my BT40 Mighty VMC with full enclosure and toolchanger under my 84” garage door frame by removing the Z axis motor and unbolting the Z cable guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    As far as BT35, they are often on ebay and I've seen big lots of them go for very little at auctions. Such as 300 pieces for a grand.
    Yeah, less common tooling does seem to often go for a lot less.
    Wow! 300 pieces for $1000?!?? That’s amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bostomatic 300 -312 machines not that heavy they are assembled bedway machines in two pieces and rest on a welded lower table support easily moved with pallet truck. Guessing same weight as a medium sized maunual lathe 3500 lbs ish ?

The 400 machine's are much heavier twice the size and full down to floor castings.
    5000 lbs I would guess

MachMotion make some nice controls for these

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

11. Likes mkd liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm actually settled on a 400, already retrofitted with a new siemens control.

Ya it'll be tight but, no 300 for sale anywhere i see and it can be made to fit.

You think its only 5000? Seems like they didn't skimp on iron I thought it would be 7000+ but it's been a month or more since I saw it and I wasn't thinking about eyeballing the weight when I did.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also did the tool changer come with fingers or just a loose fit pocket?

14. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well helped a buddy put a fadal in his garage yesterday. Easily fit under an 82” doorway.

16. Likes MoriMillMan, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been working with some ex-bostomatic apps guys. I never knew how good a machine line they had. History channel's 'how it's made' features a setup one of them made for an blade impeller.
    Story I heard was the had a genius engineer there that figured out some complicated thermal drift algorithm. Laser calibration guy was once shocked at how freaking accurate they were down to the tenth, didn't need to comp anything. A University tried to analyze it at great length.

18. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    I've been working with some ex-bostomatic apps guys. I never knew how good a machine line they had. History channel's 'how it's made' features a setup one of them made for an blade impeller.
    Story I heard was the had a genius engineer there that figured out some complicated thermal drift algorithm. Laser calibration guy was once shocked at how freaking accurate they were down to the tenth, didn't need to comp anything. A University tried to analyze it at great length.
    I did read through a research paper on the accuracy of the bostomatic 300. Very impressive for the 90s if I remember right most everything was repeating to .00005ish

20. Likes Laurentian, mkd liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They sure seem like awful nice machines the 400 looked quite overbuilt. The ways were huge!

I'll try to find that how its made

22. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They sure seem like awful nice machines the 400 looked quite overbuilt. The ways were huge!

I'll try to find that how its made

My goofy description notwithstanding,it was really just a propeller blade. See it right at the 1 minute mark on youtube.
    The other apps guy has a Bosto in his garage.
    thing about retrofits is you'll lose that magic sauce from that engineer, but that's probably an ok compromise.
    Bostomatics were one of if not the first to have a hard drive.

24. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also did the tool changer come with fingers or just a loose fit pocket?

Loose pocket for Cat40 and spring wire fingers for 20 and 30 tapers ( I think 30 was sometype of plastic tray I no longer have it we dismantled a couple up here for spares )

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SPCII is 16 bit, gets most of our jobs done but for 3D contouring we use our 3200 touch screen control machines. We have two of each type. Our twin spindle 400 will be parted out over the next year we are downsizing to another 300 with the MachMotion. As for the weight I broke up a 400 for shipment to Ct. from Montreal and I recall them moving it out of the room it was in with a heavy duty pallet lift. As a matter of fact our 400 was positioned that way too just came back to me.. 1997 seems like yesterday haha

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SPCII is 16 bit, gets most of our jobs done but for 3D contouring we use our 3200 touch screen control machines. We have two of each type. Our twin spindle 400 will be parted out over the next year we are downsizing to another 300 with the MachMotion. As for the weight I broke up a 400 for shipment to Ct. from Montreal and I recall them moving it out of the room it was in with a heavy duty pallet lift. As a matter of fact our 400 was positioned that way too just came back to me.. 1997 seems like yesterday haha
    Alright cool that sounds like a manageable weight. Do you know what the rapids or feed max is? I dont want to run it faster or slower than intended by bostomatic

28. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey there are a couple 300/312 coming up if ever you need.
    Al Civitate - 4-Axis in Ct.

As for feeds the 400 can creep down as slow as you like and still have lots of torque.
    We set ours to 75 in. max but it can go to 100 I think. The 300 are a little faster above 100.
    I would have to check.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow thats slow I was hoping for 200-400 rapids haha...I just finished some big 4140 parts at work where I fed 550ipm so im going to be going through a shock phase here in the garage. I got spoiled and have spent most of my time on a brand new 4 axis dmg with 500$ endmills. 75ipm hopefully won't seem so slow on a small machine.

300 would be nice but I figured if I squeeze a second mill in it would be a bed type with longer x travel than the bostomatic 400. Are the 300s all 3 axis? Or do they have swivelnheads like ive seen on the 400s?

31. Likes Laurentian liked this post