What's new
What's new

LTB lathe in the midwest

Dmoen

Plastic
Im in ND, i know ill have to, and am willing to drive quite a distance for something decent.
looking for a 12x36 or possibly a bit larger.
looking for something complete and usable. Preferably already setup with a VFD, and tooling.
budget is flexible, but would LIKE to stay under $2000.
(701) 381-2484
[email protected]

Your budget really isn't flexible with what your asking for under $2,000, good luck!

excuse me, you got something for sale? You know what flexible means? Just becuase i WANT to keep under 2k doesnt mean i wont spend more. Your on the eaast coast anyways, Go home

Willing to cross the border? Shopping Canada would open up more possibilities.

yea i could cross if theres something up there!
there is a very nice sheldon 12x32 a few hours from me with vfd and a little tooling for $2400, but id like to see what else is out there.

excuse me, you got something for sale? You know what flexible means? Just becuase i WANT to keep under 2k doesnt mean i wont spend more. Your on the eaast coast anyways, Go home

Snapping at constructive criticism doesn't get one too far whether buying or selling.

there is a very nice sheldon 12x32 a few hours from me with vfd and a little tooling for $2400, but id like to see what else is out there.

If you can find a halfway decent piece of equipment, that you like, around the Dakotas for less premium than the shipping costs from the Great Lakes region, you better jump on it. There have been a couple pieces of heavy iron reoccurring on CL in the north eastern part of SD. I didn't catch exact size or pricing, but I don't think that is what you're after anyway.

Last summer there was a rather well equipped smaller lathe around Sioux Falls on CL too, but IIRC that was over $3K. Regardless, quite a trip from ND, and I don't think available anymore anyway.

Believe it or not, I well understand the frustration of seeing screaming deals missed just because each was a little further than you originally planned to travel. However, in a machine tool desert, it seems like either being ready to spend some $$$ on shipping or having extreme patience is key. Trade school shop sell-offs and the like do still exist, as well as small machine shops or home machinists retiring, but to find what you want seems to take patience indeed.

I wound up packaging a mill and a lathe from an east coast dealer and got a good deal on shipping too. Unfortunately, he didn't realize arranging shipping from the east coast to Dakotas wasn't as easy as his usual destinations. So when they finally did ship, it was a completely different arrangement than we agreed, and I wound up dealing with damage - most likely while being loaded. I eventually got some compensation for the damage, but not the headache.

Later, I found a lathe in better condition here on PM, and gave the other one to the FIL, but I had to arrange shipping. 4'X8' and 5000lb over 900mi made a dent in the savings, but the seller was great - and this time when the shipping company messed up, despite my very specific description, their trailer was damaged rather than the lathe! :)

Yup, and WE will....

Goombye idiot.

Snapping at constructive criticism doesn't get one too far whether buying or selling.

If you can find a halfway decent piece of equipment, that you like, around the Dakotas for less premium than the shipping costs from the Great Lakes region, you better jump on it. There have been a couple pieces of heavy iron reoccurring on CL in the north eastern part of SD. I didn't catch exact size or pricing, but I don't think that is what you're after anyway.

Last summer there was a rather well equipped smaller lathe around Sioux Falls on CL too, but IIRC that was over $3K. Regardless, quite a trip from ND, and I don't think available anymore anyway.

Believe it or not, I well understand the frustration of seeing screaming deals missed just because each was a little further than you originally planned to travel. However, in a machine tool desert, it seems like either being ready to spend some $$$ on shipping or having extreme patience is key. Trade school shop sell-offs and the like do still exist, as well as small machine shops or home machinists retiring, but to find what you want seems to take patience indeed.

I wound up packaging a mill and a lathe from an east coast dealer and got a good deal on shipping too. Unfortunately, he didn't realize arranging shipping from the east coast to Dakotas wasn't as easy as his usual destinations. So when they finally did ship, it was a completely different arrangement than we agreed, and I wound up dealing with damage - most likely while being loaded. I eventually got some compensation for the damage, but not the headache.

Later, I found a lathe in better condition here on PM, and gave the other one to the FIL, but I had to arrange shipping. 4'X8' and 5000lb over 900mi made a dent in the savings, but the seller was great - and this time when the shipping company messed up, despite my very specific description, their trailer was damaged rather than the lathe! :)

your right about a machine tool desert! haha to be truthful i have around 10G to spend between a small lathe, and a block and head resurfacing machine.. I own an auto repair sohop and need a lathe for various reasons. Mainly for makins bushings or drivers, i could really probably get away with a benchtop unit, but would rather just get something worth having.
There is a storm vulcan head and block unit on EBAY for a GREAT buy it now price, and looks to be in good shape. waiting to hear back from them on some shipping questions. Its in Cali so im not too sure i can swing a deal, but its worth a shot

You set hard limits, which means you aren't flexible, help yourself to a dictionary.

Anyone else notice people with hair trigger tempers these days when you sneeze on them? It seems to be getting worse, and worse.

Anyone else notice people with hair trigger tempers these days when you sneeze on them? It seems to be getting worse, and worse.

I don't think a dictionary would be much help with regional variances of English - around here "like," "want," etcetera, can merely paint an ideal target, with flexibility outside still allowed, vs. "need."

Still, rude replies to constructive criticism, I just don't understand. It's probably nothing new, but certainly seems rampant. Not just on the internet either, though probably worse online with alter-egos coming out that wouldn't in person.

You might have ebola. :D

Seriously, what you just posted is a form of provocation and accusation in itself. For someone who uses the term "liberal" as an insult, you're on pretty shaky ground. This seems like a case of the pot calling the kettle black. If you really want to know what set him off, ask him.

The OP was very clear that his number was a target. Perhaps you didn't notice that "like" was in capitals? Or maybe, as Oldparts posted, it's a case of regional misunderstanding.

Shortly after I moved to Vermont, I was buying a bunch of equipment from a guy and admired a small height gauge. He said, "You can have it" so I said that was nice of him, picked it up, finished loading, paid, started to get in the truck and he said, "uh, about that height gauge."

Turns out that in New England, "you can have it" means "it's for sale", not "It's a gift, it's free to you" as it does in the midwest. Brief awkward pause, we worked it out and ended up laughing about it.

Im in ND, i know ill have to, and am willing to drive quite a distance for something decent.
looking for a 12x36 or possibly a bit larger.
looking for something complete and usable. Preferably already setup with a VFD, and tooling.
budget is flexible, but would LIKE to stay under $2000.
(701) 381-2484
[email protected]

So I have carefully read the ad. It is pretty clear the gentleman wants to buy a lathe. He also starts negotiations with a price. He makes it pretty clear he isn't shopping for a high ticket item. No where in his ad does the gentleman ask for "constructive criticism" or advice on how to buy a lathe or advice on how much he should pay for a lathe.

I typically refrain from responding to a wanted to buy ad unless I have something to sell. I have a lathe I was considering selling but it does not meet the stated requirements. In this case I am butting in to make a point, a lot of people do not participate on this site for a simple reason, because we don't what "constructive criticism" from a self appointed internet expert who is more interested hearing himself make speeches than respecting the posters needs. I apologize for butting in on your string.
Regards, George M.

So I have carefully read the ad. It is pretty clear the gentleman wants to buy a lathe. He also starts negotiations with a price. He makes it pretty clear he isn't shopping for a high ticket item. No where in his ad does the gentleman ask for "constructive criticism" or advice on how to buy a lathe or advice on how much he should pay for a lathe.

I typically refrain from responding to a wanted to buy ad unless I have something to sell. I have a lathe I was considering selling but it does not meet the stated requirements. In this case I am butting in to make a point, a lot of people do not participate on this site for a simple reason, because we don't what "constructive criticism" from a self appointed internet expert who is more interested hearing himself make speeches than respecting the posters needs. I apologize for butting in on your string.
Regards, George M.

may i ask what you possibly have for sale?

may i ask what you possibly have for sale?[/QUOT

Hi:

I bought a Harrison so I was planning on selling my 13" X 39" Twian lathe (little tooling). I was going to offer it to you, but my son sent me a text while I was typing my response to you and claimed "granddads" lathe. So I am down to a 6" x 18" which does no meet your needs and I am not supposed to mention on this forum Then I let my big mouth get the best of me and posted. Sorry George

You might have ebola. :D

Seriously, what you just posted is a form of provocation and accusation in itself. For someone who uses the term "liberal" as an insult, you're on pretty shaky ground. This seems like a case of the pot calling the kettle black. If you really want to know what set him off, ask him.

I first don't understand why you bring up my political views here. I have noticed people disagreeing with me on threads related to machining, just for the sake of disagreeing, and guess what? They are all expressing liberal political views in other threads. It seems they just want to make condescending comments out of nowhere.

As for my original sentence I thought the guy wrote a sentence that contradicted his own words, simple as that. I was not trying to get a rise out of him. If the shoe was on the other foot, I would have replied with a clarification, not a snotty retort.

some of you guys are pretty hard to take. i hate this internet chat, cant tell tones real well.
anyways, where i come from telling me "my budget isnt really flexible" is a jab at telling me i cant afford anything. Ive kept my mouth shut on it, but come on man give it up. Some of you guys take shit WAY too seriously.

back to a lathe!also looking for a head and block resurfacing machine.

Theres a machine on EBAY currently. In WA, its a 20 hr drive each way which is fine. It comes with a storm vulcan 85 that i need, a crank grinder i would keep. Also 2 large parts washers id let someone else have a crack at. I have to purchase it all at once.

Back