What's new
What's new

Metal lave

I think it must be a French machine. I'm stretching from something like "Je me lave les mains" so near as I can make out it's some kind of parts washer. Of course if it really came from somewhere like Bulgaria I could be way off.

Those metal laves are getting hard to find. The guy must be a hoarder.

They're laves. Made out of metal. :D

The seller is a couple blocks from my house. I sent him an email asking him what they are used for, I will post his reply if I get one.

The Secret Society of Lathe Trolls

from time to time --serendipity happens
Blazemaster uncovered a huge missing link in the metal lave mystery

12 years ago I posted thread on topic of recording lathes--I am a long term member of Society of Lathe Trolls

so---the pic Blazemaster posted is of frame of Scully disk recording lathe--and if it were complete and working--would be valued into 5 figures

asking price for Scully frame is reasonable for a collector with ability to add missing components

The Secret Society of Lathe Trolls • Index page

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...athe-trolls-147115/?highlight=recording+lathe

YouTube

Attachments

• sadfsafd.jpg
    sadfsafd.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 96
  • erart.jpg
    erart.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 194
JHOLLAND1, thank you for that! Back in my highschool days, I actually laid hands on a recorder for use with large shellac-coated disks. (School radio station had some very old 78RPM disks so large that I had to relocate the studio microphone boom mount to get enough room to put the disks on the turntables.) But I never would have made the connection between that ... Craigslist thing, and a disk recorder. I mean, what's with the drill chuck? And the recorder I had access was about the size of a medium suitcase, with a hard transport lid that lifted off.

I once saw a CL ad that said about the same thing: "Metal Lave, Spring Sealed".

I had to call and find out what the hell it was. :D I figured 'lave' was a misspelling, but what the heck was "spring sealed"?!?

Turns out it was Springfield. A 16" Springfield lathe. I bought it. :D

Doc.

Scully is a well respected name in recording lathes. They invented the first variable pitch lathe in 1950's. This greatly extending the amount of material that could be recorded.

Tom

Well the seller never got back to me.

Oh well. Where the hell am I going to find a skilled lave operator these days anyway? :D

Well the seller never got back to me.

Oh well. Where the hell am I going to find a skilled lave operator these days anyway? :D

I just saw both of the ads reposted on craigslist.

I bet if you showed up very little money would buy all of it.

Back