What's new
What's new

Moderator or Dictator?

sharpasananvil

Plastic
Original Question

Mebfab,

Did my posts just get offed? If so, why?
Is My ebay auction concidered a "third party auction? if so what is the difference between my ebay auction and the one four listings down...

Bridgeport VMCs on Ebay
surplusjohn 06-23-2009 11:50 AM
by surplusjohn 0 98

Why would my thread regarding Daewoo Turning Centers be taken down?

Best Regards,
Tom

Answer:

06-25-2009 02:43 PMMebfab
How many posts do you have? How many have been sales? How many contained a tiny amount of info and then a sales pitch?

Livid

mebfab,

Lets get this right, you moderate the: Machinery for Sale or Wanted
List- Machines for sale and want to buy machine ads- Free ! Forum.

and your concerned about me pitching "for sales"?

Maybe you havent figured it out, however my entire relationship to the metal cutting machine tool industry and the "Practical Machinist" in specific is based on Sales, Service & Value.

My last post was 4/22/09, it is not as if I am workin over the "for sales" on the forum.

Are you telling me that a 18" x 60" Engine Lathe in the 1980's with taper attachment, chuck and drop on tool post for $1,999. is not something that the "Practical Machinist" wants and needs to know about?

If this Forum is more interested in "Potato Diggers" than machine tools, it is time to go.

I am livid - I put a tremendous amount of care and time into the offering that I put forth on the Forum.

I pay thousands of dollars a month in advertising. I am selling 3-4 meter VTL's , 6" large pattern horizontal bars and High dollar machine tools worldwide. I do not rely one bit on practical machinist for free exposure.

The machines I take the time to put on practical machinist are aimed at the man in the field looking for a good deal on good unit from a good source.

It grows tiresome that this Forum does not care for the opportunity to fosted relationships in an industry that is hard enough to survive in , in the first place.

I think he's quite flexible with the sales sections, all he asks is for members to participate in the forum section.

Have you participated in the forum section?

It's also obvious that it's what he wants from the forum members, he didn't just bust you, he warned you, then busted you. He repeats it often enough that any member that takes the time to read knows it.

I wish I could participate more but I just don't have the experience to write something meaningful, but I do what I can. Do you?

In reading your message above you just don't come across as humble, that won't help you either. If you are so busy making millions of $$$ sales why get livid about a piddly $1999 lathe you want to pawn off?

You could use a paper bag, Breath my friend breath...

Still Breathing

Powergluide,

I used the bag, feel much better now, thank you.

I do appreciate "Practical Machinist".

I definitely did not come from a humble place, because of the emotion attached. I write most of my posts on the forum during evening hours.

just as the man offering a suggestion on turning a part on a lathe, I am often trying to make sure that the man who may need an excellent value the most has the opportunity.

The select lathe on eBay will sell. it will sell with or with out me and with or with out practical machinist.

It is part of the fundimental difference between Machine user and Machine sales that a forum such as practical machinist can be of great assistance in the promotion of better comunication, accountability and relationship.

Your comment of "pawning off" a lathe is very telling. I understand that.

However it would go a long way if you would leave room for the possibility that in machine sales the way you leave the office with integrity and a feeling of accomplishment and finacial success is when you offer a good machine, create a value and see it through untill it is cutting chips and making that man money to feed his family and pay employees and you do it with your word, a handshake and a smile.

Have a great weekend.

Tom
www.wigglesworth.com

I understand that your lathe will sell with or without Practical Machinist, no doubt about it.

Practical Machinist will also manage without your lathe for sale in its' Machine for Sale section.

I've noticed that some participating members do spot some particularly good e-Bay auctions (and other sales like Craiglist) and post them, who knows your lathe may end up getting sold through PM somehow if it's the screaming deal you say it is (I wouldn't know as I'm not familiar with that lathe and I'm not in the market to buy one that size).

You have obviously mistaken this site for one that requires payment. If you want constant exposure take out a banner add.

I am sorry you didnt get your way. But hey. At least this post wasnt a sales pitch

I caught that post about the Daewoo turning centers and took a look at the website. I almost responded based on what I found, but decided to let it go. Since it's been brought up however, and you're "based on Sales, Service & Value", why no prices on your website? I know you're not alone in the business in this, but let's see 1) Service - A simple website can't give a price; 2)Value - Who knows, no price....

Simple point is why does the mystery price pervade? I'd think that bit of simple and rather relevant information might be nice for some to have. It's been mentioned often enough here that I'd suspect that dealers willing to publish that information establish a bit more front end credibility than those that don't. Offered as a suggestion.

Rob

The Practical Machinist Classified forum provides a good venue for sales. There are many people on the forum doing both buying and selling every day. All it takes is a simple post which I find takes very little time and effort.

However, this is not just a simple posted classified such as Craig's List. The success of this classified forum depends on the ability to trust those both buying and selling. I have found in most cases the transaction can be completed by a handshake. Virtual maybe but still with as much trust.

This trust builds up little by little. You can keep posting ads and with each sales solicit a positive response to the sales and you can participate in the discussion forums and let us know a bit about your knowledge of the various subjects. The more you participate the more trusted you become.

Please think of this forum as a community. Anyone interested in buying a product will do so more willingly from a trusted member of that community.

I once made the error or sending a check to Brian Dougherty of Equipment D & D in Detroit for a Box & Pan brake just because he was a member of Practical Machinist. What I failed to look into was if he was a trusted member. Looking back at his posts they were all about selling. It's been over 6 months now and no machine nor money returned. So, if I were in the market for a machine tool why, based on your history on this forum, would I trust you?

Make it easy for us and just participate and build that trust in this community. Your sales will show the difference.

Also, Mebfab is far from a dictator. But, he is a good moderator.
Walter A.

Rule one - the moderator is always right.

Rule two - if moderator is wrong, see rule one.

Without the contributions from the unpaid moderators, this
site would rapidly degrade into chaos. So any complaints
that moderators are bad and need to go away, are met with
laugher at best, and derision otherwise.

Jim

Walter. excellent post & summation.

BTW, I've experienced Mebfab for years here on PM and met in person a few years ago. He's a remarkably inquiring and even keeled individual.

Perhaps if you spend the time to build up an experience level on this site and post prices for the items you are selling, we'll gain a positive impression of you over time, too.

smt

Sharpasananvil...

I'm sure it will distress you no end to find out that we don't give a rat's ass what you think of our moderators.

They do a great job, mostly keeping the board free from jerks like you.

Go find another sandbox, and ask your mother to change your diapers.

- Leigh

Moderators are here to stay and very much needed.

A potato with male genitalia is a dictator isn't it?:rolleyes5:

JAckal

Mebfab, Keep up the good work.:)

If I recall correctly, Mr Anvils firsts posts here were offering to sell copies of machinery manuals. He didn't post a price, but said something along the lines of "we aren't making any money on this, but doing it as a service. I also recall, the price wasn't exactly cheap either when he finally said what it was. A lot of people here will post links to free manuals or copy them for a few bucks. His more recent posts were mainly links to his ebay listings for the "low end" machines they are trying to move. I can't recall one post that he wasn't trying to sell something. BUT,, he says here that he doesn't need P-M for advertising. Do we see a bit of hypocrisy here???? Also, there's a very condescending tone to all of his posts. Seems to me that was the attitude of a lot of (Big) machinery dealers that are long gone. I think he misses the point that this site is one to share information, answer questions and yes, offer items for sale from time to time. I feel the moderator acted correctly as the rules for posting items for sale here are quite clear.

Last edited:
I once made the error or sending a check to Brian Dougherty of Equipment D & D in Detroit for a Box & Pan brake just because he was a member of Practical Machinist. What I failed to look into was if he was a trusted member. Looking back at his posts they were all about selling. It's been over 6 months now and no machine nor money returned. So, if I were in the market for a machine tool why, based on your history on this forum, would I trust you?

Make it easy for us and just participate and build that trust in this community. Your sales will show the difference.

Also, Mebfab is far from a dictator. But, he is a good moderator.
Walter A.

Hey Walter,
I tried to dig up info about that guy when you posted about him before,
I take it you had no luck reaching him........

Hey Walter,
I tried to dig up info about that guy when you posted about him before,
I take it you had no luck reaching him........

One other member who was in contact with Brian about another machine also attempted to nudge him into sending my money back. It did not work.

It will probably take someone in the Detroit area to see him face to face before I get my money back. I contacted a lawyer in that area about a lawsuit and criminal charges but would prefer to work it out directly if at all possible. If Brian is just having some bad luck lately maybe he will come through after all. Supposedly since the contact was across state lines and over $3000.00 all sorts of laws were broken.

In this case I should have dug deeper or insisted on a Credit Card transaction.

Walter A.

sellers

IMO-I think that there should be a rating system for all people selling on any forum. This helps to keep any potential riff-raff off the site and help to protect the honest people.

Back