Myford lathe advice & mystery tool identification - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RODDYJB View Post
    When I wiped it down I couldn't find a mark on it anywhere. It sure looks great to me!
    Not a very scientific approach maybe...
    Honestly, I don't know of anyone that has ever called in a Metrology outfit to put a ball bar to, or otherwise do a survey of, a hobby lathe, even a decent built one.

Anybody? Buhler?

With the flat ways, it gets real obvious, real fast, if the ways are getting worn.
    Even in the size pictures shown here, that bed looks far nicer than the one on my S7, and mine pleases me just fine, as far as producing what I need from it.

Guys expecting NASA grade parts off it, ought to shop for a more appropriate machine! Guys that diss it are pretty much just keeping the breeze moving.

I have had an ML7, and have a S7 which I plan to have for a very long time. Instead of comparing the Myford to say, a Shaublin, or Hardinge, perhaps one should temper one's expectations by comparing the Myford to a pre-worn out Chinese machine, selling for about the same retail price. Use one, then use the other, and I suspect you will rapidly work out that the Myford was a fair bit nicer machine to use.
    Much like th every popular South Bend 9 inch lathe, it may not be much of a machine from the perspective of someone wanting three shifts production or a flexible jobber machine to throw jobs at, but it has some brand recognition, parts support, and a pretty good knowledge base available from years worth of users.

Oh yeah, the two home built tools in the 4th picture, one is an indexer for use with (likely) the bull gear on the spindle for dividing purposes. The other is a radius turning tool, used to form radii or ball ends such as are used on handles and that like.

2. Likes RODDYJB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
    Perhaps, but a damn good place to start. Having a bed that shows no signs of wear is a big plus...
    Yep. If it looks good and presents well, like as not it actually IS as good as it looks.

You gotta be a pretty dedicated scam artist to try putting time in to dressing up a bed like a Myford's, in order to disguise wear.

When you see a hobby machine like this that has a bunch of well cared for looking accessories, as well as not all beat to heck looking paint, it's not a stretch to say that any metrology errors it has are pretty much the ones it left the factory with.

4. Likes RODDYJB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can get it to most major airports in Canada for a reasonable price if any out-of-towners decide they need a lathe.