Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    I have a nice Nardini 14x40 with DRO. I have under $5k into it. It has to be 10 times the lathe this one is. I've owned 3 South Bends.
    I suppose this is about finding a collector who really wants it, and who may not even use it, cuz it sure is purty. Though where are the photos of the flake'n scrape? Is there none on the later machines?

In this size envelope and money you could find a very nice HLV-H. Or 10ee. I can't fathom the people who pay $5k for new junk from China.

First thing I'd want to do - if using it - is add some provision for lubricating that brand new saddle and tailstock. I can't believe SB never added a feature for that.

I was tempted by this 10K a couple years ago, but only if it went dirt cheap. It did go pretty cheap - $2k. I really had no use for it. Nice that it had the D1-4, taper and DRO. The serial number on that one, 23035-R, put it very late - at 1988-89. I didn't see a serial number for the OP's lathe?

South Bend Lathe Inc.Engine Lathe,10x4 1/2,S/N 23035-R used working condition unknown - Government Liquidation

I was curious about the rumors of Korean origin. The most extensive history I could find was right here on PM. The later days of SB were pretty murky.

South Bend Lathe Inc.Engine Lathe,10x4 1/2,S/N 23035-R used working condition unknown - Government Liquidation

Quote Originally Posted by SBLatheman View Post
    In March of 1982, the first shippment of 10K lathes arrived from Korea. They were CRAP. SBL disposed of them and sent some people to Korea to train them and more qualified Koreans from their partners company were assigned to work on them. About a year later, the machines were much better.
    SBL always supplied many of the parts(spindles, etc.)
    Some castings came for Korea starting about 1980.
    The 10K is the only lathe that came in complete from Korea(except of coarse the machines made by their partner DHIL)
    A few years later some of the Heavy 10 unit assemblies also came from Korea.
    In 1992, during the bankrupcy, SBL lost all its holdings in Korea, ending all ties. The Heavy 10 was about the only TRUE South Bend made after that.
    TED

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

would you be willing to part with some of the accessories? such as the milling attachment, micrometer stop, threading indicator?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The price for this Lathe is dropped down to $7,300. I will not sell at $6,000 - I already have several local offers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

then take it to your PLANET. put it back on display till your medication kicks in. then try again in the real world . it,s worth more to YOU than the rest of the world. so the people have spoken KEEP IT

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seriously, when are the mods going to toss these a-holes? They do not contribute and use this place as free E-bay. When they are reminded of the rules they condescend to long term members in good standing. For the record E-bay now costs almost 15% to sell if you factor in PayPal charges.

6. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar R View Post
    The price for this Lathe is dropped down to $7,300. I will not sell at $6,000 - I already have several local offers.

So what is wrong with your local offers? I mean.. I have no dog in the fight as the saying goes, but you are being ridiculous... You won't sell at 6k because you won't have any buyers!

Don't (completely) misunderstand me, I hold onto shit because I refuse to sell for a loss, but they are are stupid $100-200 items LoL, not 10-7-6k!! It is not going to get more valuable, it is not a collectible (no matter what you or your friends think), it is a nice SB HOBBY lathe, hobbyists are cheap.

I have some hobbies, I am always looking for CHEAP.

I have work stuff, I buy value (money for function) IF I know I will use it the rest of my life/career. If I am buying a 2" wrench for a one time job, it is a harbor freight special, if it is a 3/4" wrench I use everyday, it is Craftsman (well used to be..), Snap-On, etc...