What's new
What's new

Nice Lodge & Shipley 25" Lathe

I'll suppose its late forties with that "medium duty" stuff and box ways. Back not long ago the big hole would raise the price - maybe not these days

(what in the world are the MARINES doing with a big hole L&S anyway?)

My favorite part of this is the description under Manifest: "Lathe Engine Bench". I'd like to have the bench that would support that machine...

I will never understand the "Store it out in the weather" approach to surplus machines such as this.

Aww man! C'mon grunts, you could at least grease and tarp the poor thing. I'd like to grease and tarp all the C.O.s who let that kind of thing happen!

If that was within a days drive I'd have to bid. That would be a sweet machine to have.

Looks like it's got an outboard chuck or centering device mounted under those sheetmetal covers.

Looks like it's got an outboard chuck or centering device mounted under those sheetmetal covers.

-I thought that was just a coolant trap, but I don't see a drain hose or anything. You might be right, with a through-hole that big, it's made for pipe and big shafts, so a beefy outboard support would be pretty useful.

Doc.

-I thought that was just a coolant trap, but I don't see a drain hose or anything. You might be right, with a through-hole that big, it's made for pipe and big shafts, so a beefy outboard support would be pretty useful.

Doc.

I was basing it off of the 1.5" or so holes on the front of the round part of the sheetmetal cover. Figured that round hole was in just the right spot for a chuck key to hit the 4 jaw.

The gov is very slow at selling things, and to them it is scrap anyway, I bought a lot of machine tools from Fort lewis in Wash state, I took about 2 years for the drmo to sell anything, and all the while it is out in the rain. 25k machine tools would sell for $1500 because of the rust and lost or bent up parts. This 25 inch l/s X would have been a good machine but if not for all the rust, and if you look the forklift damage has also bent things up. And then there is the wild card of rigging and loading, It a crime but they don't care...Phil

If not for the rust, the condition looks great. As mentioned, you don't know how long it has been sitting out since the photos were taken.

But BS walks and big bore money talks - it sold for $17,700.

Well that's a lot more than I expected it to fetch. In reality, a couple long days with scotchbrite, stones and flushing with some diesel fuel would probably have that thing ready to make money.

I would really hate to have to buy the spindle bearings for that bugger though.

I used to go to the DRMO auctions at NAS Jax years ago when they held live auctions.They kept most of the machinery outside.
However one year they built a large building for inside storage.I thought finally they will bring the machinery inside.

Nope,all I ever seen in there was all the worthless used cheap office furniture,real junk.

If not for the rust, the condition looks great. As mentioned, you don't know how long it has been sitting out since the photos were taken.

But BS walks and big bore money talks - it sold for $17,700.

Almost $18K, in that condition. That means my Monarch NN 28" x 180" (and no rust) must be worth $50K. Now accepting bids, folks... :D

[BTW, is this how they "turn" out Marines?]

The gov is very slow at selling things, and to them it is scrap anyway, I bought a lot of machine tools from Fort lewis in Wash state, I took about 2 years for the drmo to sell anything, and all the while it is out in the rain. 25k machine tools would sell for $1500 because of the rust and lost or bent up parts. This 25 inch l/s X would have been a good machine but if not for all the rust, and if you look the forklift damage has also bent things up. And then there is the wild card of rigging and loading, It a crime but they don't care...Phil

You are exactly correct. I was very fortunate when I bought my L&S from DRMO. It had been installed in a basement and DRMO made its removal part of the sale. That put me in total control. I ended up with a pristine almost new lathe.

Back