What's new
What's new

**Northwest PA** *For Sale* Manual Lathe, Manual Mill, Surface Grinder and Extras

Lars B

Plastic
Located in northwest PA, not far from Ohio or New York.
FAR FROM PERFECT machines, I am looking to part with. Long story short, I bought these machines as a surprise for my father. I am a tool and die maker and my father always wanted me to teach him the basics so he could have yet another productive hobby he could use while tinkering around with his beloved (and bad a$$) old school cars as he entered retirement. I imagined it would be so much fun to shoot the poop with my old man while teaching each other some of our trades (he was a master mechanic). Unfortunately, I lost my father suddenly last June. Between being a business owner (plastics and tool and die) and taking care of my mother, I certainly have my hands full. I have too many irons in the fire at this point in time.
I would prefer this to be a “winner take all” scenario. At the end of the day, make me a reasonable offer. I have a fork truck on-site and will be more than happy to assist in loading. I would be thrilled to see these machines go to another father and son type of scenario, someone getting into the trade, or someone who is looking to venture out on their own into the world of business. What you are doing with these machines is certainly not a deal-breaker.
I am always up to wheel, deal, barter, and trade. I am interested in metrology equipment, toolboxes, car lifts, most things related to firearms, boats, car parts you name it. The worst I can say is no.

***I have not personally operated these machines or ever had them powered up. As a buyer, I want you to be aware of this.***

The milling machine is a J-head “Bridgeport” style Ultima. I bought this machine from a local mold maker who used to us this machine for cutting graphite electrodes for his sinker EDM. It has a DRO for X and Y. I have a vise, a brand new R8 collet set, a shell mill (1-1/4” I THINK), Jacobs drill chuck, t-nuts, clamps ETC. Anything related to milling can leave with the mill.
NEVER USED Teco N3 inverter AC drive. I ordered this for the mill to allow it to run on single-phase power and control RPM’s on the milling machine.

The lathe is an old South Bend from the 1940s. I had the privilege of buying it from the original owner, a local business owner in his 80’s. He gave me the original literature, manuals and schematics that came with the machine. I don’t know if I am willing to part with all of the literature as it would be VERY cool and frame and hang up in my office. The machine has a chuck, tailstock, steady rest, and a taper attachment. According to the original owner the taper attachment is sought after and cost him “an arm and a leg to get that kind of technology” this guy was as old school as it comes and I have nothing but the utmost respect for him and his generation (I know I am rambling). He stated as their demand for bigger diameter work increased there was no longer a need for this machine, but the machine was kept around for its ability to cut tight threads.
The surface grinder is a Reid with a walker magnetic chuck. I have never had this machine powered up are any time to inspect it. I would imagine the spindle it not “tool room ready”

Attachments

• Mill 1.jpg
    Mill 1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 268
  • Collet Set 2.jpg
    Collet Set 2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 209
  • Lathe 3.jpg
    Lathe 3.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 282
  • Grinder 2.jpg
    Grinder 2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Drive 1.jpg
    Drive 1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 221
Located in northwest PA, not far from Ohio or New York.
FAR FROM PERFECT machines, I am looking to part with. Long story short, I bought these machines as a surprise for my father. I am a tool and die maker and my father always wanted me to teach him the basics so he could have yet another productive hobby he could use while tinkering around with his beloved (and bad a$$) old school cars as he entered retirement. I imagined it would be so much fun to shoot the poop with my old man while teaching each other some of our trades (he was a master mechanic). Unfortunately, I lost my father suddenly last June. Between being a business owner (plastics and tool and die) and taking care of my mother, I certainly have my hands full. I have too many irons in the fire at this point in time.
I would prefer this to be a “winner take all” scenario. At the end of the day, make me a reasonable offer. I have a fork truck on-site and will be more than happy to assist in loading. I would be thrilled to see these machines go to another father and son type of scenario, someone getting into the trade, or someone who is looking to venture out on their own into the world of business. What you are doing with these machines is certainly not a deal-breaker.
I am always up to wheel, deal, barter, and trade. I am interested in metrology equipment, toolboxes, car lifts, most things related to firearms, boats, car parts you name it. The worst I can say is no.

***I have not personally operated these machines or ever had them powered up. As a buyer, I want you to be aware of this.***

The milling machine is a J-head “Bridgeport” style Ultima. I bought this machine from a local mold maker who used to us this machine for cutting graphite electrodes for his sinker EDM. It has a DRO for X and Y. I have a vise, a brand new R8 collet set, a shell mill (1-1/4” I THINK), Jacobs drill chuck, t-nuts, clamps ETC. Anything related to milling can leave with the mill.
NEVER USED Teco N3 inverter AC drive. I ordered this for the mill to allow it to run on single-phase power and control RPM’s on the milling machine.

The lathe is an old South Bend from the 1940s. I had the privilege of buying it from the original owner, a local business owner in his 80’s. He gave me the original literature, manuals and schematics that came with the machine. I don’t know if I am willing to part with all of the literature as it would be VERY cool and frame and hang up in my office. The machine has a chuck, tailstock, steady rest, and a taper attachment. According to the original owner the taper attachment is sought after and cost him “an arm and a leg to get that kind of technology” this guy was as old school as it comes and I have nothing but the utmost respect for him and his generation (I know I am rambling). He stated as their demand for bigger diameter work increased there was no longer a need for this machine, but the machine was kept around for its ability to cut tight threads.
The surface grinder is a Reid with a walker magnetic chuck. I have never had this machine powered up are any time to inspect it. I would imagine the spindle it not “tool room ready”

all this typing and no price ?

"At the end of the day, make me a reasonable offer."

I do not have my heart set on a price. I am far too busy at the moment to go through and value the equipment. I will entertain any serious offer as long as it is not a blatant insult.

Kindly,
Lars

The tailstock? Yes I do. I have more photos but I was limited to posting (5) pictures 0401192010.jpg

This probably will not go well without a price. Believe me what is a blatant insult to you is beyond outrageously high to some hobbyist.

Mebfab,
Thank you for the constructive feedback. This is very helpful to me. I will have to do some homework on the value of this equipment.

Much appreciated,
Lars

Back