What's new
What's new

Old southbend lathe 3 1/2 bed in AMAZING condition.

Pemer86

Plastic
Previous owner of this Lathe was absolutely meticulous in the care and maintenance of this machine. You can see this is true by the attached pictures.

I'm looking to sell the lathe and am hoping one of you experts in the field can help me put a price tag on it? I greatly appreciate any help, and I hope to get this fantastic lathe to a new home soon.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_2740.jpg
    IMG_2740.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_2739.jpg
    IMG_2739.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_2738.jpg
    IMG_2738.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 742
  • IMG_2737.jpg
    IMG_2737.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_2742.jpg
    IMG_2742.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 520
What is the OP willing to pay an expert to appraise this lathe?

(I'm not an expert, just curious)

L7

It has been repainted. It looks good, but the ways and the rest of the machine must be inspected before top dollar can be asked. It is old and it is used. My best guess is about $4000.

Steve-I, how do you know it's been repainted?

Just curious, not interested in buying this lathe.

L7

The name plates do not look correct for a true South Bend unless this is one of the very last units made by them and South Bend changed their logo.

It does have the D1 spindle in it.

unless proven otherwise, agree w/ Steve.

it does not appear to have made a chip since the paint job, which to someone's credit was very well done...even better than SB did it....I don't think SB ever polished chip pans either??
Unless well tooled 4K is high in my book...the SB'ers are slowly pricing themselves out of the market...5K can get a new Taiwanese 12/13" with accessories and a inch/metric gearbox...and they are getting quite good.

as much as I love the SBs it just the way it is.

PS- don't know why that little red exclamation is up there.

it does not appear to have made a chip since the paint job, which to someone's credit was very well done...even better than SB did it....I don't think SB ever polished chip pans either??
Unless well tooled 4K is high in my book...the SB'ers are slowly pricing themselves out of the market...5K can get a new Taiwanese 12/13" with accessories and a inch/metric gearbox...and they are getting quite good.

It does have a TA, which is not only scarcer than hen's teeth, but was an expensive accessory new. I agree on the accessory and tooling statement you made. Another reason to inspect first.

I noticed even the tool holders look new, no rust or dings! :D I would think 4k maybe for a SB enthusiast (hell I lived there when the building was still around, too rich for me), but for an actual machine tool, probably not...

SB did use screws in late production.

+1. My buddy just bought a fairly late vintage SB 10L with the phillips head screws holding
the QC gearbox plate on.

However his nameplate shows it as being an Amistat machine, I think those were after the
ESOP buy-out, yes?

Also this machine seems to have the socket head screws holding down the bearing caps, with
paint on them. I think that suggests a re-paint? Little tough to see in the photos. Still a very
good one, if it is a re-paint. Ditto on the chip pan being clear of paint, that's not stock.

Pricing themselves out of the market is exactly why Grizzly Tools is now selling merchandise with larger than life South Bend logos all over it.

Them and Myford ended their days trying to sell the same old stuff (with updated trim!)for prices a mob lawyer would be ashamed to charge out.

Dunno if it's a repaint or not. Wouldn't want to say 'never', when it comes to the finish on a product that is put out the door by a last ditch effort to keep a company afloat. Esp. not without seeing it first hand.

Serial number will tell you the year of birth. More or less.

The lathe looks good, has the camlock spindle, a plus, so it should draw some fair money, esp out west, where there are far fewer to choose among, than in the Eastern rust belt.

I sold my exact copy of that lathe (same length, hard bed, D1-4 spindle, taper, exc cond) in 2017, WELL TOOLED, for $4,200 and a guy drove from Michigan to Virginia to buy it.

Quality South Bends sell for good money. The ragged out crap on CL does not.

Back