What's new
What's new

Oliver 510 drill pointer FS

Craig Donges

Stainless
Greetings all;

Oliver model 510 drill pointer for sale. Appears to be complete. 1 HP, 220V, 3 phase.

Price $585.00, FOB

Thanks;
Craig Donges
IMG_1549.jpg

Craig,

I have exactly the same machine, so if there's any questions I may be able to help. The capacity is 1/4" through 3 5/32". It's really neat how they work too. You can still get the manuals from Oliver of Adrian. Absolutely great people to work with.

Ray

I, too, have the same machine and it is absolutely great for sharpening drill bits. Watching the wheel oscillate and move in and out is pretty cool. Set up is about the only thing that requires any practice. Once you get that dialed in, turn it on and be amazed.

Best of luck with the sale.

If anyone uses 1/2" or larger drill bits, this IS the sharpener to own. On the relative cheap that is!

Jackalope,

You sure got that right. It's amazing how the oscillation can generate that perfect chisel point. Timing is everything. Don't get scared, theyr'e easy to time if you ever have to get inside. I've got a 3" twist drill that cuts like crazy after it met my Oliver.
Oh yea, if you need help call Cliff at Oliver. He's their resident historian and knows these things inside and out. He only works a couple days a week.

Ray

Last edited:
Ray,
Something to add, after I sharpen drill bits, I find they almost cut better than when the bit was new. I actually get perfectly even chips of the same size coming out of both flutes at the same time. Remarkable what it can do.

I stumbled onto mine for, get this, $25!!!! Yep, right place at the right time. Auction and no one was bidding on it. I swapped out heaters on the 440v switch and now it is 220v 3ph. Mine also came with 3 extra brand new stones!!:D

Grant

p.s. Sorry for the hijack Craig. Your machine is worth the money you are asking, I just "stole" mine!:smoking:

Does it work like a Spiropoint? Describes the same. If you have motion sickness problems, watching a Spiropoint will almost make you throw up. Some of the little plastic gears inside mine broke awhile back and I never got around to fixing it. Doesn't look as though this one would have little plastic gear problems.

Not sure about a Spiropoint, but there are NO plastic gears in this ole beast. This is about the heaviest and well built unit made to sharpen drill bits. Old and well made. Very heavy duty.

Not sure about a Spiropoint, but there are NO plastic gears in this ole beast. This is about the heaviest and well built unit made to sharpen drill bits. Old and well made. Very heavy duty.

I don't doubt it. Certainly looks the part. The plastic gears in my Spiropoint are just for the adjustment knobs, not the actual driving. Frustrating all the same.

As of now, the drill pointer is spoken for. If something changes, I will advise.

Thanks for all the inquiries and good productive comments. It's truly a pleasure to deal with folks as sharp as Youns's.

Craig Donges

Dang it. Craig, I was going to ask you to find me a drill grinder, as I will be though your area soon and could pick it up on my way. Guess I shouldn't have waited so long........ Well, if another one falls out of the sky, let me know.

Jim

Ray,
Something to add, after I sharpen drill bits, I find they almost cut better than when the bit was new. I actually get perfectly even chips of the same size coming out of both flutes at the same time. Remarkable what it can do.

I stumbled onto mine for, get this, $25!!!! Yep, right place at the right time. Auction and no one was bidding on it. I swapped out heaters on the 440v switch and now it is 220v 3ph. Mine also came with 3 extra brand new stones!!:D

Grant

p.s. Sorry for the hijack Craig. Your machine is worth the money you are asking, I just "stole" mine!:smoking:

Grant,

Yup, they do work better than new. I think it's because of the progressive back grind that it produces. One thing the operator has to watch is the chisel point width. I think Oliver wants it web thinned to 1/10 the diameter of the drill. Hey, you wanna sell a stone. They're over $200.00. It's good Craig's looks like new. I'm about down to the steel, but still works puuurfect!

Ray

I also have a 510 and agree with all the good things said about it here. Got mine at an auction probably ten years ago. There should be 3 different chuck jaw sets of two each jaws if you are going to sharpen the whole range of drill sizes. I also have their #21 HD 3/32 to 1/2 inch grinder. It is very simple to operated and gives excellent points as well. When I bought my 510 the wheel was about worn out. Called Oliver and they sold me a new general purpose wheel for $75, said they get them as samples every once in awhile from the grinding wheel companies. You might call and see what they have in stock before you buy a new one. As has been said here they are really nice people to deal with and have manuals for almost all machine they have made in their files and will make you a copy for around $25.

Hi Ray,

looking to set up my oliver 510 drill pointer. Seems that the chuck is not time properly and the stop/angle arm is worn down. Other than that it seems to be working great.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
dan

Dan,
By all means, call Oliver first and get the manual. 517-263-2132 They are most helpful and so is the manual. If you still have problems send me a PM and I'll help you. The manual is the MOST important tool.

On second thought, you can't PM me. My "notifications" took a shit and apparently can't be fixed.

Back