What's new
What's new

Oliver of Adrian Model 510 drill grinder

jackalope

Titanium
As indicated. This is a great machine that has sharpened hundreds of large drill bits flawlessly for me. I have upgrade but this one is worth every penny. Works as it should. 230v 3ph
Pics upon request since I am not able to add them. Email me at Gloveandtdog at aol dot com.
Located near St Louis, MO.
Asking $1025

I sold this machine to Michael P on here. He is in Wisconsin. He paid, I shipped it, and now he is not getting back to me. Hope he is okay but this is going to end up being dropped in front of his residence!
The good news is I have the 600 and will clean it up and pray it gives as good of results as the 510.
And yes, Oliver has EXCELLENT customer support !!

Hey Grant, I'm here! Actually I didn't receive any mail or PMs from you lately. The last one was with the photos of the machine strapped. Nothing is in the Junk box either. Are you sure you sent more e-mails to the correct address?

In any case, the machine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (Fri), and I'll certainly contact you after this.

Thank you for keeping me updated on the progress. I'm preparing for the delivery.

How heavy is it, by the way? I'm thinking about putting it on a mobile base.

Here is my new baby. The pallet broke, but they managed to deliver the grinder in one piece.
Still wonder about its actual weight, and if my engine hoist and mobile base will be able to handle it.

Need more time to unpack, clean and try it.

Thank you Grant.

Mike

Attachments

• Oliver 510.jpg
    Oliver 510.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 170
Here is my new baby. The pallet broke, but they managed to deliver the grinder in one piece.
Still wonder about its actual weight, and if my engine hoist and mobile base will be able to handle it.

Need more time to unpack, clean and try it.

Thank you Grant.

Mike

Oliver says 950 lbs with motor. Awkward weight balance when lifting.

Thanks Mike. Actually, right now I'm looking at the grinder and trying to figure out how to lift it off the pallets to put on the floor or mobile base. So far I cannot see where to put chains/slings. Even with a fork lift (which I don't have), I cannot envision how to approach it. The only possible anchor points I see are the holes in the base, but then I doubt it will be stable enough...

Any idea?

P.S. Grant, if you read this, how did you handle it?

I'm trying to remember exactly what I did. I think I took the chuck off where is swings to lighten it up and make it a bit more balanced. That assembly needed a good cleaning anyway. I know for sure I ran the carriage in with the hand wheel and then put a sling under it there keeping it pulled up close to the machine base. I would have had to have a 3rd point to balance the weight which would have meant that I also had the belt cover off and ran a swing over there too.

Another option that is time consuming but I've used on a lot of other machines that I couldn't lift overhead is to raise the machine a little higher from the base using blocks between the edge of the machine base and the pallet. Once you get it high enough you can slide two longer 2x6s thru to support the machine with a stack of 2x4 blocks outside the pallet. Then pull the pallet out and reverse the process by lowering the machine by removing blocks by going around in a circle. I keep a very large stack of short 2x4s, 2x6s, 4x4s and plywood squares around for rigging machines. You can get those long 2x6s out early and make it earlier. Go slow make sure not to get the machine to far off balance. Can be done with a good bar but a toe jack makes it a nicer job.

I'm trying to remember exactly what I did. I think I took the chuck off where is swings to lighten it up and make it a bit more balanced. That assembly needed a good cleaning anyway. I know for sure I ran the carriage in with the hand wheel and then put a sling under it there keeping it pulled up close to the machine base. I would have had to have a 3rd point to balance the weight which would have meant that I also had the belt cover off and ran a swing over there too.

Another option that is time consuming but I've used on a lot of other machines that I couldn't lift overhead is to raise the machine a little higher from the base using blocks between the edge of the machine base and the pallet. Once you get it high enough you can slide two longer 2x6s thru to support the machine with a stack of 2x4 blocks outside the pallet. Then pull the pallet out and reverse the process by lowering the machine by removing blocks by going around in a circle. I keep a very large stack of short 2x4s, 2x6s, 4x4s and plywood squares around for rigging machines. You can get those long 2x6s out early and make it earlier. Go slow make sure not to get the machine to far off balance. Can be done with a good bar but a toe jack makes it a nicer job.

Just call Oliver, they will know how to lift it.

Called Oliver and spoke to Cliff. He doesn't remember how this machine is supposed to be lifted. He says that, if he remembers correctly, at one point the company used to make a threaded hole in the casting under the wheel to attach a 1/2" eyebolt for lifting.

Mine has some sort of a threaded oil hole cover there. :( Will follow Mike's advice then.

What oil do you guys use? Cliff suggested 80-90 Gear oil in the gearbox. And I assume way oil will work the best on the slide and maybe even at the various levers (although a thinner oil can be used there). What grease do you prefer for chuck and other Zerk fittings?

Last edited:
I've always talked to Mary and Neal. Not sure what I have in mine. If I changed it then it likely has a machine oil like Mobil Vactra Heavy (I dislike automotive gear oil, I can't stand the smell of it) On the newer 600 grinders Oliver recommends 80-90 gear lube and Mobil lithium XHP222 grease for the chuck. I use normal way oil on the other lube points. I was in their shop a few years ago to pickup some stuff and Neal gave me a hands on training session on the 600 and the point thinner. I assume you got the PDFs with the directions and parts breakdown for your 510?

Yep, Mary sent me everything. Prior to that, I had downloaded older versions of the manuals on vintagemachinery.org

And thank you for the lube info, Mike.

Sorry for just seeing this. I cannot get into this site while at work. It’s blocked so I have to use my phone which makes it difficult.
You can carefully lift with a lifting strap under headstock wheel housing. You just need to be careful for the sheet metal that covers the slide ways.
I also had the manuals sent to you so you should be receiving those if you haven’t already. You will need to sign for them.
I did have it in a heavy duty rolling tray. It weighs just under 1000 lbs as I received an updated invoice from freight carrier.

Hi Grant,

I've just revisited the thread and noticed your post. I came here because today I've got an unexpected package and wanted to thank you. :)
USPS attempted to bring the manuals in a week ago, but we were out of town.

Everything looks great.

Thank you for your kind support. It was a real pleasure dealing with you.

Mike

Back