What's new
What's new

OT: How much are old machines worth?

PeWiBo

Plastic
I have never sold any old machinery. My new sawIMG_0007.jpg is in and I'd like to sell my old one.DSC05505.jpg.

Please see the ad I posted for my old DoAll last week (for some reason it ended up in the Tooling For Sale forum). Obviously the price I listed is too high, but I expected some offers. What would be a reasonable asking price to get things moving?

1. you made no attempt to clean it.
2. you have it un-wired & dis-assembled so it cannot be tested by a potential buyer.

FWIW, I bought a C70 that was in cosmetically better shape from a PM member about 3 years ago for 2K. There are usually similar saws on Ebay if you'd like more comparables.

I like your new saw!

. . . and I only took the front table off. It is on a flexible cable so it can be fired up and run at any time.

I did clean it, I just posted a picture of it working.View attachment 210623

. . . and I only took the front table off. It is on a flexible cable so it can be fired up and run at any time.
The pictures sure don't look very clean, and you stated it's now on a pallet.

Quit complaining to me, you asked why it isn't selling, I pointed out
some reasons.

I look at allot of used machinery every year, and as Mud stated, yours is overpriced.

I have looked at several c70 saws for sale lately. They were asking between 1500 and 2 grand for them. they are still for sale. I dont know what price would make them fly off the pallet, maybe a grand.

I'm in the midwest, and I see a lot of these for sale in the 1500 to 2K price range ASKING price, but as stated, none selling. I saw one of these sell at auction 2 months ago for $800, hammer price. I was going to buy it, but my trailer was already maxed out with the 3 machines I'd already purchased.

No offense, but you asked. I base all my pricing, for my own personal consumption, at known selling prices vs. condition. Not asking prices online, which is a common misnomer for reaching to an asking price. A big factor on older machine sales is location, and loading/unloading at both ends. Making it easy and fast for someone to come and get the machine safely set on their trailer is a huge factor for most buyers. I know that I don't want to dick around with hiring a rigger to have a machine loaded. They often want more than the price of the vintage machine for rigging. On a $50,000 brand new machine, the cost of rigging is insignificant, but bottom feeders buying vintage machinery, it's a deal killer.

Haha -- no offense taken, that's what I need to know. Perhaps it would be better to find someone who has one who wants the cylinders, control box, motors, pumps and such, stripped off and put on a small pallet for easy shipment and then I could just scrap out the iron.

Haha -- no offense taken, that's what I need to know. Perhaps it would be better to find someone who has one who wants the cylinders, control box, motors, pumps and such, stripped off and put on a small pallet for easy shipment and then I could just scrap out the iron.

You could part it out but, then your in a new business selling machine parts. I sold a C-68 to a local shop a couple years ago for 1500.00, asking price was 2000.00. While it is easy to look on ebay or other places and fine similar saws for sale at much higher prices, the just sit there. Honestly, if my current saw had a major issue it would just be replaced. The opportunity cost of fixing an old machine with used parts is high. The time value to strip an old machine to sell off the parts and pieces is again high.

If you truly need the space and want to derive any value out of the machine, price it to sell. Somebody will buy it and put it to use, while you get the floor space and a few buck in the offing.

Steve

I'll take $2000 just to get it out of my way -- that includes $180 worth of unused saw blades.

I'll take $2000 just to get it out of my way -- that includes $180 worth of unused saw blades.

A friend sold a similar condition saw with a feed conveyor and a few blades about a year ago for $1250, which I thought was a good deal for the buyer, as it was a real workhorse. You could probably get $1500 if you find the right local buyer, but doing so may take more time than you have to wait for the floor space to open up...

A friend sold a similar condition saw with a feed conveyor and a few blades about a year ago for $1250, which I thought was a good deal for the buyer, as it was a real workhorse. You could probably get $1500 if you find the right local buyer, but doing so may take more time than you have to wait for the floor space to open up...

My original post seems to have disappeared, so here is the info on the saw:

I just bought a new larger CNC saw and don't need my DoAll anymore.* I don't know the model or serial number; I bought it used 5 years ago but it was probably made in the mid '60s.* It came with a parts manual and wiring schematic that were printed in '60 but they are slightly different from this saw.

It is fully automatic and has a 6' roller table in the back and a 4' table in the front.* It will index 24" and there is a multiple index attachment that I have never tried to use.* The front roller table has been removed to facilitate shipping. There is also an outboard roller support.

The listed capacity is 12" x 14".

It was made for a 1" blade but was modified to also take a 1.25" x .042" blade, which is what I use, and after I spent several thousand dollars on having the front vise, carriage vise, belt tension and head lift hydraulic cylinders professionally rebuilt, replacing all the hydraulic lines, the guide inserts, some shafts and all bearings and cleaned out everything it cuts rather well.* If you email me at [email protected], I will send you a link to a clip of it cutting 10" 17-4 H1150 and indexing.*

I will include the manual and 3 unused new blades ($180 value). I put over $2000 into it 3 years ago, but I need it out of the way now.

It is on a pallet now but can be run using a flexible cord.

*The price is reduced to $2000 AS IS because I need the room now and it is ready for pick up after receipt/clearance of payment.

How about $1500? Includes $180 worth of blades, 4 rebuilt cylinders and a manual and wiring diagram.

Back