What's new
What's new

OT - WTB Industrial/Commercial walking foot upholstery sewing machine

I re-read the rules and did not find a clear "no" on OT industrial machines, so taking a chance. :)

Related to professional wood-work projects.
Looking for good and inexpensive, of course.
Preference to north atlantic states for pick up.

My PM box fills up too fast. Please post here or use email to convey offers or leads.

ehmcofab at g mail dot com

Thanks!
smt

You might wish to specify whether a straight stitch machine will do, or if you need or want a zig-zag capable machine.

I have some experience with Singer and Juki straight stitch machines, and would choose the Juki, all else being equal. Easier to keep in time, with far fewer joints held together with set screws.

Hard to use a consumer model sewing machine once you have used a 3/4 hp or larger motor with a foot clutch and knee lift!

Might have a look at the Military Surplus Auction site, if you are willing to go that way too.

Cheers
Trev

Stephen -

Might be worth a shot to post a wanted in the local CL. In the past there have been so many small sewing factories in our area I'm guessing there are machines out there, issue would be finding them.

Too late, but at an auction back in October in Painted Post there was one that went, if memory serves, fairly cheap. And that was an 'accidental incidental' at an estate that sold off a ton of tools. Know it does not help you but what made me thing of trying this route.

Dale

Thanks for the leads so far. I'll check HGR.

Too late, but at an auction back in October in Painted Post there was one that went, if memory serves, fairly cheap. And that was an 'accidental incidental' at an estate that sold off a ton of tools. Know it does not help you but what made me thing of trying this route

Duckfarmer - That is what I was afraid of hearing! I purposely avoided going to that sale because it was on a Saturday, and all anyone I came in contact with could talk about was attending it. I did not hear a good reason machine or accessory-wise to go, and avoided the crowd, but had a vague thought in my mind "What if they had an industrial sewing machine in that mess"

Oh, well. :)

smt

Buy out of the Mil surplus market.
If you want a utility type machine plenty were purchased by the military to stitch parachute and pilot harnesses plus heavy strap and canvas works of all kinds,

I just bought this lovely and am going to pick it up next week from the Naval Surface Research Center where she had languished for decades:

70774892.jpg

A class 7 Singer- this baby will stitch down over 3/4" of leather- purchased by Uncle Sam in Oct 1944 to fight a war- alas I am in love again..

Might be you are in need of long arm..?:

Consew mdl 206RBL-30 sewing machine, SN:20140061, 120/220V, 60Hz, 1PH, 0.5HP. GL will Provide Tail Gate Loading - Government Liquidation

I have some experience with Singer and Juki straight stitch machines, and would choose the Juki, all else being equal. Easier to keep in time, with far fewer joints held together with set screws.

I'm fairly convinced the old Singer 111w155 would do most of what I want. Upholstery, not so much heavy leather work. I'm looking at one of those, & a Juki LU562 which is a clone.

Does your post signify that the "clone" is actually a better choice (condition & all being equivalent?) The Juki is a lot closer and a lot cheaper.

Do you think the 261- series Singer was a big enough improvement over the 111w155 to consider one of those at the same price, though both are considerably more than the Juki? I'm confused about how the 261 differs, despite online searches. People seem to be less familiar with them.

(Edit - Typo on that last Singer, should be 251- , see below. Stet so a follow-up reply makes sense)

smt

I own both a Singer and a Juki.
I think there are so many different singers that there are many that will do what you want, but I love my Juki.
I am not sure exactly which model my Juki is- I am not at home for a while- but its very similar looking to your 562, and it is a great machine, easy to use, never had any mechanical problems with it.

the singer 261's I have seen are free arm chainstitch machines- not what I would think you want.

TR-

I understand that you are posing examples.
I have to wait until between midnight and 5 am to see any pictures, out 'net provider is not fast enough during the day.

But it begs the question, have you found a cheap means to have one of those Gov-liq machines inspected 1,000 miles away, and then delivered?

Love your Singer class 7!
There is one nearby asking $1,600 or something like that for just the head (no motor, no table) but honestly, it is actually too heavy duty for my purposes. Though it would be nice to have one in the corner for that rare leather strap job.

smt

Stephen- those are just examples and I understand too far away to suit your needs.
That set of Consews from that auction look to be new old stock and if I needed one for the business I would not hesitate to buy sight unseen given the potential price savings.

I ran through Uship and did not get bids down past $350 so am driving out myself to pick up the Singer.

The Class 7's are at asking up to 6k rebuild from pro shops and seem to always bring right around $1000 out of Mil auctions.
I got that one for $475 but was willing to pay $1200.
The Class 7's are not limited to leather and are in fact more of a heavy canvas/strap machine than a leather workers bit of kit.

A enthusiast is tempted to cite the will power they posses as bragging rights.....
I bought this one for heavy sail/canvas/tent/strap work.

"Large machine (bed = 25 1/4" long x 10" wide). Space to side of needle 15 7/8". Long beak oscillating shuttle. "Not as heavy as Class 6...". For sails, tents, covered wagons, tarpaulins, carriage trimming, etc. in leather, paper and canvas. Made in Elizabethport only."
Comprehensive Singer Sewing Machine Model List Classes 1-99
They accurately could be said to have been eclipsed by more modern heavy machines but a enthusiast again might favor one anyway.
I always have a couple of sewing machines so the 7 will come into play as needed.
The Class 7 is cloned by Consew - 6k yikes:

Consew 733R-5

That last Consew:

consew | 206RB-5 | sewing | industrial sewing | heavy duty | sewing machine | lockstitch | walking foot

I have never used a Consew but they seem to be in all the marine sail and canvas shops around here.

Well drat, owner of the $400 Juki LU 562 nice photos, complete on table, etc, listed locally finally responded that "sold, forgot to take down ad". :(

Thanks for the mention of the brand.
The more I research the more I'm convinced that model (LU 562 or 563) would be perfect for our purposes. It's advantage over the Singer 111w155 that it is a clone of, is reverse, and a 9/16" capacity. Plus newer, reputedly more reliable machine for similar pricing, most places. Can't find any others outside of FL or CA at the moment, though. There are some Singers in that class in NY/NJ, but hard to consider at $6 - 800 asked after seeing Juki spes.

The advantage of Singer or Juki is that anything parts or accessories seem to be widely available and cheap. There are some less familiar machines out there (sort of nearby) like tecsew, but less support.

smt

I'm fairly convinced the old Singer 111w155 would do most of what I want. Upholstery, not so much heavy leather work. I'm looking at one of those, & a Juki LU562 which is a clone.

Does your post signify that the "clone" is actually a better choice (condition & all being equivalent?) The Juki is a lot closer and a lot cheaper.

Do you think the 261- series Singer was a big enough improvement over the 111w155 to consider one of those at the same price, though both are considerably more than the Juki? I'm confused about how the 261 differs, despite online searches. People seem to be less familiar with them.

(Edit - Typo on that last Singer, should be 251- , see below. Stet so a follow-up reply makes sense)

smt

I was a Structures Tech in the Canadian Air Force, or at least, a part of what was left of it. Part of my job was to sew straps and aircraft upholstery and the like.

The CF replaced almost all their Singer straight stitch machines with Juki models, as the Juki used a toothed belt between the upper and lower rigging to keep it all in synch., while the Singer used a bevel gear on a shaft arrangement. When they were working correctly and well, there was no functional difference between them, when the Singer had a jam it tended to become a longer process to get it to work properly again. Almost every joint in the drive line of the Singer was held with a set screw and you pretty much needed to start at one end and time it from the one to the other to get it to run again. The Juki used a snap clutch that would pop off, and was quickly reset, and did not have near as many joints to go fubar.

I regret that I cannot tell you what model Juki or Singer we were using mostly, just that were I to run out looking, and were to find similarly set up machines for similar money, I would have the Juki and never look back.
Further to that, we were beginning to have issues with access to parts for the Singer machines. Normal problems with durable goods lasting longer than the company support for them.
I looked around and that Juki you were looking at looks a lot like the ones we had, while I think we were using a machine similar to the Singer 211, they were a single stitch with reverse and not much else other than an adjustable stitch length, both.

Now, as an aside, related, does anyone know of a good book that covers the industrial side of sewing? I regret not cadging a copy of the military school manual that was used for the sewing course, as I have not been able to find a similar resource elsewhere. Thousands of 'housewife' or 'fashion' type sewing books, but almost nothing that relates to heavy duty stuff like lifting straps, heavy duty kit bags, and the like.

Cheers
Trev

- That is what I was afraid of hearing!
smt

Stephen -

It was a lousy day weather wise and with the rain the crowd finally started thinning out. 7 or 8 roller cabinets/top boxes full of tools, two tents full, back yard full, barn and garage full - and the back yard had 80 or so large plastic tool boxes full of everything imaginable - one was full of Fluke meters. Three tool boxes full of machinist assortments as he had a small metal lathe also - about only things that I felt got into reasonable selling territory for the seller. Also an ultralight - one of the 80 boxes was full of what looked like almost never used Clekos. Fine day for a bottom feeder like me. but I have to stop enabling my addiction!

Had to be the most varied collection of stuff I saw in the past couple of years - all of it something a guy might do. But very few guys feel the need to do own everything!

Dale

Now, as an aside, related, does anyone know of a good book that covers the industrial side of sewing? I regret not cadging a copy of the military school manual that was used for the sewing course, as I have not been able to find a similar resource elsewhere. Thousands of 'housewife' or 'fashion' type sewing books, but almost nothing that relates to heavy duty stuff like lifting straps, heavy duty kit bags, and the like.

Cheers
Trev

Pretty thin- I looked around and don't see any obvious hits.
There must be tons of Mil spec designs out there though perhaps the trade knowledge is just floating about in the contracting companies who build the gear...

Here are a couple of references:

https://books.google.com/books?id=EP4XAAAAYAAJ
Us Army Sewing Machine Operation Manuals - Leather Sewing Machines - Leatherworker.net

Soldier-Sewing-Uniform-Pants-WWII-Military-Comic-Old.jpg

I have found reliable upholstery machines from reputable dealers on ebay. Bought good machines for a fraction of local used prices. Regards, Clark

Clark- Yeah, I noticed a lot of good machines and prices are at dealers below the southern VA line. "Used to be" a lot of sewing factories down there. But shipping with a table is prohibitive; most dealers done't want the bother, and frankly it shoots the "good" price all to heck. So most just want to ship the head, for same price full table set ups are advertised if you are more "local" to a former sewing area. There's some fair dealers down in NJ/NYC area, nothing compelling yet, though.

Given a number of C-list ads within say ~250 miles or so, good machines on tables are actually cheap in the boonies for same reason, shipping, but less common. The problem is people leave the ads up a month after the machine was sold. Calling on them is how I know, but have not scored any yet. :D Gotta check more frequently.

smt

Back