What's new
What's new

PSA: Sexy Sixis 102 on eBay

ChipChaff

Cast Iron
Truly a nice machine,but not the handiest handwheel for Y motion of the head over the table. You have to reach behind the machine to use it,and BE behind the machine to read the dial. Very elegant,though.

Full disclosure: I have no personal or financial interest in the sale of this machine.
As I've said many times before when this sort of thing comes up, that is precisely why NOT to post about it. There's probably someone out there already sweating about whether to hit the Buy it Now button on that little puppy and now you're chattering away about it is making them sweat even more as they worry about the increased exposure from someone with nothing better to do than to post "Hey everyone, look at this !" threads on PM.

I thought maybe someone here who lusts after this type of thing would appreciate a heads up before it disappears into someone's collection, but as usual, I fail to understand the great ones mind, unless the great one is the one with his shaking finger poised over the BIN. I just don't frikkin get it.

I thought maybe someone here who lusts after this type of thing would appreciate a heads up before it disappears into someone's collection, but as usual, I fail to understand the great ones mind, unless the great one is the one with his shaking finger poised over the BIN. I just don't frikkin get it.
In your initial post you said you hoped some collector would remove it from your realm of possiblities. It seems you are rather confused as to what you want.

what the heck does it DO particularly well? sure it's Swiss, ok. but it look tiny, rickety and awk-weird. no quill which seems to me like a big deal with a head that tilts. a sort of universal table style that doesn't seem to allow any other positions past a couple degrees from square? really awkward side and rear controls.

Gee whiz, Don,
You ever thought of switching to decaf? What's so wrong with wanting something beyond your present capabilities. I realize that's an emotion you have never felt, as you remind all of us on a regular basis, but can't you put yourself in the shoes of us less-blessed/clever/wise than yourself one in a while?

Gee whiz, Don,
You ever thought of switching to decaf? What's so wrong with wanting something beyond your present capabilities. I realize that's an emotion you have never felt, as you remind all of us on a regular basis, but can't you put yourself in the shoes of us less-blessed/clever/wise than yourself one in a while?
Your post makes no sense. The point is not to give free advertising for items up for auction until the auction is over...UNLESS...you have a vested interest in the item, in which case it's perfectly ok...OR if the item is so hopelessly overpriced there is no way it's going to sell anyway.

Imagine for a moment you are someone that has done their due diligence and been searching eBay for years with keyword "Sixis" and finally your dream machine comes up for bid. But you are scrambling to come up with the cash and you are afraid that any moment someone else will click the BIN button. And then some yahoo comes on PM with his "hey everybody, now that I don't want it, look at this !" post that serves to increase his potential competition. Imagine how annoying that would be.

Your post makes no sense. The point is not to give free advertising for items up for auction until the auction is over...UNLESS...you have a vested interest in the item, in which case it's perfectly ok...OR if the item is so hopelessly overpriced there is no way it's going to sell anyway.

Imagine for a moment you are someone that has done their due diligence and been searching eBay for years with keyword "Sixis" and finally your dream machine comes up for bid. But you are scrambling to come up with the cash and you are afraid that any moment someone else will click the BIN button. And then some yahoo comes on PM with his "hey everybody, now that I don't want it, look at this !" post that serves to increase his potential competition. Imagine how annoying that would be.

Don, as much as I appreciate what I think the sentiment is, I don't understand the guy's post either. But, since you've chosen not to delete the thread, I'll go out on a limb and guess that you get some form of gratification out of this, so I'll reply.

First, your hair-splitting is for naught. I would rather a PM member have the mill than a non-PM member, whether he or she is a collector who only posts pictures of it in an attempt to impress others through mere custodianship or a true aficionado who wears it out for the pure mechanical and tactile joy. As tenuous as it is, thanks to you I have a membership in a group of like-minded people and I was serving the good of the group by making the mill's availability known to them.

Second, it ain't an auction so your hypothetical hand-wringer doesn't wash. It's fixed price. I didn't run up the price by calling attention to the fact it is for sale as I might have if it were an auction.

Using your own hypothetical, imagine if you will a member of PM, a dedicated practitioner of the machinist arts, who had wanted a Sixis 102 for years and years and searched for one tirelessly. Just before Memorial Day Weekend, one came up on eBay while he was busy getting ready for the big annual family gathering. He just had time to check into PM, but not to check all of his other usual sites and some Wall Street leveraged buyout take-over suit with a passing fancy for pretty things mechanical picks it up on a whim and never uncrates it. Of course after the fact some members here were delighted to point out to our guy that he blew his one chance to get one. Inconsolable, he chained his Brown & Sharp universal dividing head with the complete and highly polished set of plates to his ankles and jumped off the family pontoon boat.

And it should be "Imagine for a moment you are someone WHO has done their due diligence . . ' People are "who"; things are "that" - a subtle but significant distinction.

Don, as much as I appreciate what I think the sentiment is, I don't understand the guy's post either. But, since you've chosen not to delete the thread, I'll go out on a limb and guess that you get some form of gratification out of this, so I'll reply.

First, your hair-splitting is for naught. I would rather a PM member have the mill than a non-PM member, whether he or she is a collector who only posts pictures of it in an attempt to impress others through mere custodianship or a true aficionado who wears it out for the pure mechanical and tactile joy. As tenuous as it is, thanks to you I have a membership in a group of like-minded people and I was serving the good of the group by making the mill's availability known to them.

Second, it ain't an auction so your hypothetical hand-wringer doesn't wash. It's fixed price. I didn't run up the price by calling attention to the fact it is for sale as I might have if it were an auction.

Using your own hypothetical, imagine if you will a member of PM, a dedicated practitioner of the machinist arts, who had wanted a Sixis 102 for years and years and searched for one tirelessly. Just before Memorial Day Weekend, one came up on eBay while he was busy getting ready for the big annual family gathering. He just had time to check into PM, but not to check all of his other usual sites and some Wall Street leveraged buyout take-over suit with a passing fancy for pretty things mechanical picks it up on a whim and never uncrates it. Of course after the fact some members here were delighted to point out to our guy that he blew his one chance to get one. Inconsolable, he chained his Brown & Sharp universal dividing head with the complete and highly polished set of plates to his ankles and jumped off the family pontoon boat.

And it should be "Imagine for a moment you are someone WHO has done their due diligence . . ' People are "who"; things are "that" - a subtle but significant distinction.

Re "gratification"... As I personally couldn't care less about that little mill and I figured you had already done any damage that might have been done, I was using the thread as a "teaching moment" to help inhibit this sort of thing in the future.

Re "running the bids up".... note in this particular instance I said competition for the BIN... You are making things up to suit your argument...not good.

Re "for members of PM".... as I've pointed out many times in the past, that is an illusion. There are 30 times as many non members of PM reading these posts as there are members.

Re "who" vs "that"..... you may be correct from an English lexicon standpoint, but I seriously doubt my sentence was misinterpreted by anyone because of that particular structure. To me, that sort of argument plus making up stuff (i.e. "running up bids") shows a grasping at straws desperation on your part.

what the heck does it DO particularly well? sure it's Swiss, ok. but it look tiny, rickety and awk-weird. no quill which seems to me like a big deal with a head that tilts. a sort of universal table style that doesn't seem to allow any other positions past a couple degrees from square? really awkward side and rear controls.

Ridiculous Ha, I wish those silly Swiss could get it right , having to stand on the side of the machine to operate, Ridiculous!! Oh wait; don't most European machines have this configuration? Rickety? hu, maybe for milling engine blocks, but its intended purpose is as a small fine instrument universal mill. I can say from experience that no other small machine can compare to the smoothness or accuracy of cut and finish on a non CNC mill as the host of small milling machines from Switzerland, aciera F1's, F2's , f3's ect, why else do most watchmaker's seek these out? I may be a bit biased to Swiss machinery, it is my passion, but before you go making erroneous remarks, maybe you want to experience using one, feel free stop by and I will give you a lesson! And yes, BTW, the Sixis 102 is my machine that I am selling! Barry

Ridiculous Ha, I wish those silly Swiss could get it right , having to stand on the side of the machine to operate, Ridiculous!! Oh wait; don't most European machines have this configuration? Rickety? hu, maybe for milling engine blocks, but its intended purpose is as a small fine instrument universal mill. I can say from experience that no other small machine can compare to the smoothness or accuracy of cut and finish on a non CNC mill as the host of small milling machines from Switzerland, aciera F1's, F2's , f3's ect, why else do most watchmaker's seek these out? I may be a bit biased to Swiss machinery, it is my passion, but before you go making erroneous remarks, maybe you want to experience using one, feel free stop by and I will give you a lesson! And yes, BTW, the Sixis 102 is my machine that I am selling! Barry
FWIW, I can relate. For example the Hardinge DV59 seems a more logical choice over a Schaublin 102 lathe, but for smaller parts the Schaublin is just more pleasant to operate.

So,it's erroneous that you have to stand to the side of the machine to read the awkwardly placed dial? Sorry,I must have been deluded. If this is TYPICAL of European machines,they need to change their ways,IMO. Even an Atlas mill has all the dials conveniently located.

Anyway,I still thought as said,that it is a very nice machine. I just thought the rear dial wasn't real convenient.

It's funny how orientation is defined - if the controls are supposed to be on the front, then the front is where the controls are:

Deckel1.jpg

I may mount a seat on the side of the column like a swing-out navigator's stool on a sailboat and ride along with it.

It's also telling that the Sixis is still available over a week later at $500 less than originally listed despite all the "damage" done by my announcement.

It's also telling that the Sixis is still available over a week later at $500 less than originally listed despite all the "damage" done by my announcement.
Good, then you did no "damage" in this case. But I still contend that "just in case" it's better to not give sellers free advertising if you have no connection to the sale of the machine as there is always the possiblity of someone out there that has done due dilligence for years only to be greatly annoyed by someone blabbering about the machine of his desires on a site that has so many eyeballs.

As I've pointed out before, it would actually be a greater indication that the blabberer was truly trying to be helpful, if he himself was interested in buying the machine and yet willing to tell the world about it anyway ! Of course that never happens....

"But I still contend that "just in case" it's better to not . . ." Goes without saying.

Trust me, Don, I will never again let anyone here know of anything which is available for new ownership unless it belongs to me. Every man for himself and let the Devil take the hindmost. In fact, rather than leaving it as ambiguous, you might consider codifying that prohibition and adding it to your list of inviolable rules.

Cool Deckel though.

It is a totally different matter to have the SPEED controls not on the front. But.when I am trying to SEE what I am doing when machining a part and moving the table to do so,I want the controls where I can readily SEE WTF I am doing. Your argument is stupid,chipchaff.
As expensive as Swiss machinery is,why couldn't they have made the table controls all located in a handy place?

Back