What's new
What's new

Pullmax or similar wanted

tom in nh

Cast Iron
Have an interest in custom sheet metal fabrication.
Looking for a nibbler / circle shear/ reciprocating hammer that is used for automotive sized metalshaping operations. Leads appreciated.
Comments and suggestions are also welcome.
Thank you.

Have an interest in custom sheet metal fabrication.
Looking for a nibbler / circle shear/ reciprocating hammer that is used for automotive sized metalshaping operations. Leads appreciated.
Comments and suggestions are also welcome.
Thank you.

Seems like there should be a mess of that sort of machinery available in the next 6-8 months as the new spec car to be used in NASCAR next year will have carbon fiber bodywork rather than the all hand formed sheet metal in use now.

Seems like there should be a mess of that sort of machinery available in the next 6-8 months as the new spec car to be used in NASCAR next year will have carbon fiber bodywork rather than the all hand formed sheet metal in use now.

Unlikely that will make any difference on the price of these machines, if at all!

I paid $500 for my first Pullmax P5 with tooling in the 90's before all the restoration and hot rod guys drove the price sky high......my last two machines, a P9 and a P21, I paid over $4500 for with little tooling, still think they were good deals in today’s market!

If you can find a running machine for less than $4000 with or without tooling, buy it!

A centered tool holder is not a must anymore for these machines if you have the offset holder, you can make an adapter plate to mount the offset holder in the centered position.

Kevin

if your looking for a machine for shaping metal i would look at a Trumpf. They have a lot more features that i think have an advantage over the pullmax. I like that the head moves up and down on a foot pedal vs a hand lever. that lets you hold the work with both hands. you can also adjust the stroke length that the head moves

Good luck, I have been looking for a pullmax or similar for a while now. I disagree that the blame for the outlandish cost falls on the generic Boyd Coddingtons and OCCs, I think the rise of things like ebay and other advertising sites are to blame. The hotrodding shows definitely didn't help though. A story and debate for another time I guess, keep a look out the machines you are looking for are out there.

Kevin,
Which model Pullmax do you recommend for 19 gauge antique automotive sheet metal ?
Does the offset to center adapter eat up any throat opening real estate? Having trouble visualizing this aspect.
I do not expect a bargain unless it is a fixer upper machine.

Climb-101,
What model Trumpf do you recommend? Sounds like a few more moving parts than a Pullmax.

SShep71,
I believe supply and demand is to blame for the current used values. As to who or what started this trend - not sure. What is your opinion?

Tom

Kevin,
Which model Pullmax do you recommend for 19 gauge antique automotive sheet metal ?
Does the offset to center adapter eat up any throat opening real estate? Having trouble visualizing this aspect.
I do not expect a bargain unless it is a fixer upper machine.

Climb-101,
What model Trumpf do you recommend? Sounds like a few more moving parts than a Pullmax.

SShep71,
I believe supply and demand is to blame for the current used values. As to who or what started this trend - not sure. What is your opinion?

Tom

Here’s the adapter I was talking about, no connection with the seller.

Pullmax Spacer Plate P5 P5/2 Pullmax Tooling | eBay

I would look for a P21 with pneumatic lift or second choice would be a P9 with pneumatic lift.

The P21 has the largest throat height of any of the machines except the ultra rare trimmer model.

Any of the Pullmax models will work for 19 gauge steel!

You may want to look at the Allmetalshaping site for lots of info on reciprocating machines.

Reciprocating Machines - All MetalShaping

Kevin

Unlikely that will make any difference on the price of these machines, if at all!

I paid $500 for my first Pullmax P5 with tooling in the 90's before all the restoration and hot rod guys drove the price sky high......my last two machines, a P9 and a P21, I paid over $4500 for with little tooling, still think they were good deals in today’s market!

If you can find a running machine for less than $4000 with or without tooling, buy it!

A centered tool holder is not a must anymore for these machines if you have the offset holder, you can make an adapter plate to mount the offset holder in the centered position.

Kevin

This site is a JOKE. My reply to this post was 250+ characters, it insisted it was to short and would not post it. Fuck it, I give up!

I have a Trumpf 701. it’s a very well built machine. as far as moving parts go, they are a super simple and way over built machine. the head has all the moving parts in it and ther is basically just 2 off center rings inside of it. one is controlled by the motor the other by a hand dial that sets the stroke length from 0-10mm. there is also a limit switch that stops the movement of the head lowering that is repeatable within 2 thousands from what i have tested on mine.

the ram moved up/down like the pullmax but does it on the foot pedal instead of a hand lever. the stroke length on the pullmax is fix i believe but on the trumpf you can adjust from 0-10. if that makes sense.

Moonlight,
Please don't give up. I enjoy reading your posts, have been for years. I agree with you on the forum's software. Took me 3 attempts to get my 2nd post above to work.
Kevin,
Can you explain the pneumatic option?
Climb-101,
Thanks for your detailed response.
Is a Trumpf brand fair enough to find parts for?
What is the country of origin?

Tom

Moonlight,
Please don't give up. I enjoy reading your posts, have been for years. I agree with you on the forum's software. Took me 3 attempts to get my 2nd post above to work.
Kevin,
Can you explain the pneumatic option?
Climb-101,
Thanks for your detailed response.
Is a Trumpf brand fair enough to find parts for?
What is the country of origin?

Tom

The pneumatic option is a tool lift, that way both hands can be on the metal......

There's also plans all over the place for a home made version of the Pullmax!

Kevin

Usually a Pullmax goes for 3500 to 4500 now. The most recent one was in Minnesota, went for $4450 (not including BP and sales tax) and rigging was $250 iirc.

There was a P6 or P7 in the North East that sold for $1500 a few months ago, but I didn't want to drive 2000 miles so didn't bid.

The one I regret not getting was a very nice P21 in Ohio back in 2016, sold for about $5500, came with lots of tooling, including Eckold shrinking/stretching tooling. It had that accessory that allowed you to slide a large piece of sheetmetal square to the machine.

Here's a little interesting tidbit:

Back in 2019 I was in the Autobody refinishing and rebuilding program at local technical college. I was chatting with the intructor and he was really eager to start up an afterschool sheetmetal shaping club, where shrinking, stretching, planishing , english wheeling etc could be taught.

I mentioned to the instructor to get a Pullmax, and for many months I would walk past the Pullmax in the HVAC department. Then one day close to the end of my last semester I noticed an online auction for the Pullmax in the HVAC department. Both of us got very excited, and with me egging him on he managed to convince the department head to pull it from the auction and give to the autobody shop. The school bought this Pullmax ages ago and it sat unused for a long time. What are the odds they dispose of it when I was a student there and I happened to notice it was at auction. Almost seems like it was meant to be.

Usually a Pullmax goes for 3500 to 4500 now. The most recent one was in Minnesota, went for $4450 (not including BP and sales tax) and rigging was $250 iirc.

There was a P6 or P7 in the North East that sold for $1500 a few months ago, but I didn't want to drive 2000 miles so didn't bid.

The one I regret not getting was a very nice P21 in Ohio back in 2016, sold for about $5500, came with lots of tooling, including Eckold shrinking/stretching tooling. It had that accessory that allowed you to slide a large piece of sheetmetal square to the machine.

Both my machines have the duplicator attachments and rear fence, duplicator is fine for doing flat panels, not much use when doing auto restoration/customizing work!

Better off with a roller fence for doing odd shape panels....

Kevin

Thanks for the responses guys.
Anyone have a diagram or detailed photo of the head unit? Rotary to linear motion? How about hardened and ground parts?
Just curious of it's inner workings, in case a homebrew method is necessary.
Thanks,
Tom

Back