Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Punch Presses

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Osha rules do not apply to one man shops that do not have employees. That being true what one man army is going have an operation that needs a huge manual punch press? That item is a fit for making sheet metal components that are assembled together, something done assembly line style with multiple employees. Such an old monster would have been found in a range hood manufacturing shop where I worked in High School, that was about a 10 man operation.
    I wasnt suggesting these be put back to run the way were designed to, I agree that would be foolish. The youtube link I posted looks like a good (and very safe) use for one of these. Also read somewhere where a guy removed the crank linkage and replaced with a hydraulic cylinder, the frame and guides were way better than anything he could have shop made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SIP6A View Post
    I can't believe you people that think safety doesn't have any place in a one man shop.
    I was just answering a question a poster had about OSHA, if that was directed at me. I think the fear of being sued in today's litigious society over ride a lot of other thoughts for a shop owner when they saw this machine. I was watching day time broadcast TV and I counted 20 ambulance chaser attorney ads on the same channel in just 60 minutes.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a 1925 Bliss 25 ton in my one man shop. It has an air trip not an air clutch. No other guarding or safety interlocks, guards, etc.
    Been using it for 25 years, all fingers and both eyes intact. Safety does have it's place in a one man shop, but common sense prevails.

4. Likes Dan from Oakland, Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    Safety does have it's place in a one man shop, but common sense prevails.
    Quoted to preserve truthiness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 360427 View Post
    Quoted to preserve truthiness.
    I think as time passes by a machine like a punch press with no safety features become more and more dangerous. Not for the one man band operation, but for someone at the machine operator level. I have seen people who need to check their cell phone every minute. I could see some knuckle head feeding that press and hitting the foot pedal while staring at his I-phone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think as time passes by a machine like a punch press with no safety features become more and more dangerous. Not for the one man band operation, but for someone at the machine operator level. I have seen people who need to check their cell phone every minute. I could see some knuckle head feeding that press and hitting the foot pedal while staring at his I-phone.
    It is my opinion, however unpopular, that that person deserves to get hurt and not be able to feed their family. He gets punished for being an idiot, his wife gets punished for marrying an idiot, and his kids get punished for the cruel and random nature of life. Everybody learns stuff, and eventually we just might get back to a society that has an average intelligence level above mouth-breather. Then some poor soul just trying to sell a piece of equipment won't get bombarded with posts about shit that has nothing to do with him selling said equipment because idiots might run them and hurt themselves.

8. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is my opinion, however unpopular, that that person deserves to get hurt and not be able to feed their family. He gets punished for being an idiot, his wife gets punished for marrying an idiot, and his kids get punished for the cruel and random nature of life. Everybody learns stuff, and eventually we just might get back to a society that has an average intelligence level above mouth-breather. Then some poor soul just trying to sell a piece of equipment won't get bombarded with posts about shit that has nothing to do with him selling said equipment because the people making said posts just can't fucking help themselves.
    I completely agree!
    The trouble is there are so many idiots in the world that will point at the machine and say IT is bad, when in fact the dumbass not paying attention is to blame.
    I read a few months back that crossing guards at street corners are making a comeback, not to stop the cars but to stop the dumbfucks on the sidewalk who can not look up from their cell phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    I completely agree!
    The trouble is there are so many idiots in the world that will point at the machine and say IT is bad, when in fact the dumbass not paying attention is to blame.
    I read a few months back that crossing guards at street corners are making a comeback, not to stop the cars but to stop the dumbfucks on the sidewalk who can not look up from their cell phone
    Agreed good example boxing legend Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker died crossing the street at night wearing dark clothes. He was 55 and should have known better, not some kid slowly walking across the street as slow as a 97 year old man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recently sold a fairly decent 40 ton air clutch machine for around $4000. These are less valuable.

There are a few shops that can use them. Basically the machine would be in a cage with the material being fed into it without human interaction.. BUT once you are doing all that, newer machines are faster better and have replacement parts still made. So the number of places in the country that can use such a machine and would use the machine are few and far between.

As for the requirement to cut it apart with an oxygen lance.. Never heard about that at all. Generally machines are sent to scrap yards whole. Normally a single "do not operate" tag on them at most.. Again the machine can be operated, just not by people without a unreasonably complicated amount of guarding.

My suggestion is that you will likely end up selling them for scrap metal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is my opinion, however unpopular, that that person deserves to get hurt and not be able to feed their family. He gets punished for being an idiot, his wife gets punished for marrying an idiot, and his kids get punished for the cruel and random nature of life. Everybody learns stuff, and eventually we just might get back to a society that has an average intelligence level above mouth-breather. Then some poor soul just trying to sell a piece of equipment won't get bombarded with posts about shit that has nothing to do with him selling said equipment because idiots might run them and hurt themselves.
    Who peed in your breakfast cereal? I don't like inattentive goof offs either, but I don't wish them physical harm as long as their actions haven't hurt other people.

13. Likes SIP6A, Curt Brown, mllud22 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who peed in your breakfast cereal? I don't like inattentive goof offs either, but I don't wish them physical harm as long as their actions haven't hurt other people.
    I don't "wish" anyone to get hurt in this scenario, but if they "deserved" to get hurt by being an idiot, then I have no sympathy for them. When I cut myself by doing something stupid, I do not blame the knife, and I do not seek sympathy from anyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's nothing wrong with a mechanical clutch machine when it is in good working order. They can be modified to work almost the same way as an air clutch machine.

A friend worked in a large stamping plant where he automated and OSHAfied dozens of large sized stamping presses with mechanical clutches. The FIRST thing they did was rebuild the clutch to make sure it was 100% reliable.

Nobody lost any fingers. Mouth breathers fed them day after day.

Mechanical clutches are dangerous/deadly when they are sloppy and worn out.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My thoughts about safety...

Those machines were operated by a good machinist in a one man shop for 20+ years. He made mainly parts for deer feeders.
    He retired and moved away being close to 80 years old. He was my neighbor. I help his son sell the equipment.

An experienced operator/ owner can live with less safety equipment because he has a different relationship to his machine then a newly hired guy/(girl?).

I am a senior systems engineer and in my laboratory there are at times open wires/components with hundreds of volts and high frequency stuff and laser radiation. For me that's OK, I am aware of the dangers, but I would not let others near that.

Thanks everybody for the input.

There are a few other items like motors, inverters, etc., maybe I should post them here.