What's new
What's new

reluctant to buy SB lathe off of ebay? this is for you.

backindaday

Plastic
I've been reading posts here for some time, but never joined any discussions. Mainly because I didn't feel I had anything worthwhile to offer. That said, I've read some posts by members reluctant to purchase machinery from ebay auctions - and I get it. I'd have a tough time sending money to someone I didn't know, for a machine I haven't personally stood in front of, and run through all of it's functions.

Now, because I've never posted here, and because I get the point of not turning your site into a garage sale - I'm reluctant to post any links to my current ebay auction.. so I won't. But at the same time, I'd like to post my description of what I'm auctioning off, because it may help someone skeptical - like myself - feel a bit more comfortable in pulling the trigger on a fair deal.

I'm not adding anything here, but the description. Anyone who's interested can search for my listing on ebay.

My apologies if I'm pushing the envelope on newbies posting ads - but please read on.

South Bend Lathe 9 model A with too much to list. Condition is Used.

This was my father's lathe. He had been using it until he couldn't anymore. He assembled a bunch of tooling over the years - including some items I can't identify. Check out the pictures.. you can only add 12 pics to this eBay listing, so I made collages to give anyone interested a good idea of what they'd be buying. I cut the leather drive belt in order to separate the lathe from the under mounted motor (UMD) when i first moved the lathe. I always intended to get it operational again, but never did. You'll find pictures of the three wires that will need to be re-spliced, and pics of what's Included to re-splice the belt.. but you may want to go with a different type belt.

If you are here, there's a very good chance that you'll understand what you're looking at. Probably more than me. I also have manuals; and my dad's notes on creating gears for cutting metric threads - I'm pretty he finished these well before his death, and all the necessary gears are included.

There also appears to be a chassis and motor for a homemade tool grinder. There are notes on how to make one.. so I'm thinking one of the two additional motors (two besides the hp 110V lathe motor that's still wired up in the cabinet ) is for that. There are pics of the two additional motors, also.

The other motor powers a Gingery milling machine that he built. There's a couple of pictures of it (one pic contains 3 pics of it fully assembled and operational). That's another machine intended on reassembling and getting working, but never did. besides a semi-assembled chassis, I have all the parts to rebuild it - including photographs that might help show what goes where; Gingery's instructional book; and my dad's notes on building a cross feeder for it - which I believe he did.

I'm throwing in all milling machine stuff as a bonus to whoever buys the lathe. At this point, it's better off in the hands of someone who has the time and brain to bring it back to life. Same as the lathe - except getting the UMD bolted up with a new belt won't be as challenging.

The only two faults I'm aware of are :
1. there's a single tooth missing on the low drive gear that engages the back gears. I could only turn the chuck by hand to check out what impact that may have. From my observation, the tooth before, and the tooth after, are still somewhat engaged as that gap rotates by - but as it's in low gear for a reason, it may need to be addressed.
2. the lamp needs a new electrical fixture because the switch is broken. but the accessory itself - hinges,mount and shade - are all good.

There is so much included in this auction, that I can't see how I'd be able to ship it all.. so this is definitely one of those 'local pickup' type packages. but if you're too far from Middletown, NJ to pick it all up - and still want a whole bunch of metal working machinery for what I think is a fair price - you're welcome to make arrangements with a freight company to ship it to you. I'll make sure they pack every last piece up. Throwing any of this stuff out would be such a waste. I hope the right person sees this listing, to take advantage of what's here.

Rick

4/18 -

yesterday, i got a question about the total weight of the lathe, stand, and all the tooling and extras. my first guess was between 400lb - 500lb, but i think i underestimated.

there's an auction on ebay for a SB10K table that lists the dimensions and weight of the table. other than the feet on the one for sale (they look adjustable - like a office desk), the table appears to be the same one included in my sale. i've pretty sure the 10K and the 9A were very similar (this 9A was originally my grandfather's. my father bought him a 10K back in the late 80's or early 90's, and traded him for this 9A) , they share the same UMD and 3-drawer config. my point is.. the listed weight on the SB10K table is 290lb. this kind of blows my guesstimate out of the water.

those of you who ever had to haul a 9A up a flight of basement stairs by yourself, know that this equipment is very heavy. So, anyone thinking about hiring a freight company may want to ask them if they can pay them at an initial rate for a higher weight, and have that cost adjusted if it's not as heavy as anticipated. this way you can check if the worst case 'higher' cost is affordable. I'm guessing the loaded weight has to be verified somehow by the freight company - otherwise everyone would be paying 100lb rates for 500lb equipment. that's about all i can suggest, to keep anyone from getting hammered by a bigger freight bill than they bargained for.

So.. there it is.

My grandfather was a WWI vet who was proud of the fact that he was skilled enough to keep his machinist job during the depression. My father was an engineer - whose old Shopsmith I've kept active as I much rather woodwork. I know that if I mounted the UMD, spliced the motor wires and the drive belt, and took a movie of this cutting threads - it might help the skeptical. I know it would better convince me.. but I'd rather not get into learning how to operate this. Hell.. I may end up keeping it another 15 years! But honestly.. I know it wouldn't get used, and this was meant to be used.

I found it. It is not going to sell with that high of an opening bid. Also showing boxes of stuff without detailing any of it in the listing is going to make some buyers hesitant.

I found it. It is not going to sell with that high of an opening bid. Also showing boxes of stuff without detailing any of it in the listing is going to make some buyers hesitant.

Thanks for the advice on my starting price.

As far as the pictures of the contents of the boxes and drawers go, I was thinking -
1. That anyone interested in buying the lathe, would recognize what's in the pictures
2. That anyone interested in picking up a Gingery shaperas a bonus, would understand that the items in the pictures that don't belong to the lathe, belong to the shaper.

I wouldn't expect someone who can't recognize chucks, collets and tool posts to be looking to acquire a lathe, let alone rebuild a shaper, but i appreciate your point.. and unfortunately, you're probably right - which is why I posted here... where guys may appreciate what's being offered.

I predict it will sell.

Hmm. A little on the high side. If it were mine I'd offer the milling machine stuff separately, for a few hundred or so.

Lathe has 3C collet setup, taper attachment, two (?) drawbars, QC gearbox and reverse tumblers operable without the wrench.
Large dial retrofit on the cross slide, a home-made steady rest. Four jaw chuck and typical assortment of tailstock chucks.
Three jaw chuck apparently, and a nicely set aside set of the other jaws. Threading dial.

The underneath drive cabinet is a definite plus for those with tight spaces. Bed condition and headstock bearing situation
uncertain.

Motor/wiring is probably toss that all out and put in new although the exisitng spindle motor might be useable.

Somebody cared a lot about this as evidenced by the home-made replacement latches on the drawers.

I wouldn't expect someone who can't recognize chucks, collets and tool posts to be looking to acquire a lathe, let alone rebuild a shaper, but i appreciate your point.. and unfortunately, you're probably right - which is why I posted here... where guys may appreciate what's being offered.

That wasn't my point. There are dishonest sellers that will put something in a picture then turn around and say it didn't go with the main item. At minimum I would just label the boxes, box #1, box #2,etc,etc. I wasn't implying it wasn't worth $1500, something about high opening bids scares people off. In another place and time a machinery and tooling reseller started everything at 99 cents, ran the auctions a week, and rarely did anything go at bargain basement prices.

thanks guys.. all fair opinions - including the 'won't sell' one - cause so far, it hasn't.
I think I'll take Dualkit's advice and let the folks decide what their 'risk / reward' is on bidding for it.

Jim Rosen - yep, it was a working piece of machinery until I ignored it for the last 15 years. Thanks for the breakdown on what's in those pics. the main reason I wouldn't attempt to sell the Gingery separately, is because I can't identify what all belonged to the shaper build, from what was useful to the lathe. That's why I'm throwing everything into the deal - so a knowledgeable guy looking for a lathe, can also get the pieces needed to rebuild the shaper at no additional cost. As far as I know, everything's there to complete that project, but as something here or there may be required - I'm not comfortable claiming what I don't know. Honestly, I'd get a kick out of the idea that someone's willing to spend the time and patience to breath life back into it. That's my pay back.

thanks, reggie_obe. I'd like to stay away from Craigs List. i think anyone looking for a lathe would be checking whatever classifieds available - CL for close by offers, and Ebay in hope of finding someone close by. at least, thats what i do.

That will sell easily for the asking price and perhaps even more. The taper attachment, the collets/drawbars and the transposing gears alone are worth that money, even if you scrap the rest. Those accessories also fit the 10k. A replacement gear & pulley is easily found. I did not see the transposing gears though in the boxes nor did I see the transposing change gear plate. The chart is instead in the notebook. These too are available as a repro part on eBay. The gingerly mill stuff has scrap value.

I’m going to be in New Jersey on Sunday around noon. I’ll take the lathe if we can load it just the two of us with an engine hoist. If it’s in a basement then never mind. I probably can not bring the mill and grinder parts back with me.

I’m leaving tomorrow night around 7pm and need to know before that whether or not to bring a trailer and engine hoist.

Since I loaded my SB13 with an engine hoist, I'm sure you could do that with a 9A.

Something to consider: The 9A is a *lot* lighter than the SB13 or a Heavy 10. With the tailstock, head stock, and legs removed I am pretty sure two healthy men could carry it up a flight of stairs without too much trouble, and none of those removals and replacements are particularly time-consuming. YMMV.

all i did was unbolt the lathe mounts to the UMD cabinet, laid the intact lathe into a 2x4 sled, and pulled it up the stairs. I moved everything myself - using dollies and ramps.. father's house to truck, truck to storage, storage to truck, and truck to my garage. kept that lathe in it's 2x4 sled until i got it onto it's table.

i was bragging to my son about how i did this by myself, and he laughed and said that someone interested in buying this, is gonna tell me "well.. since you seem to be good at this.. " haha

Back