What's new
What's new

Rivett 1020S

TravisR100

Cast Iron
Can’t believe I’m going to sell this, but I am. If you want a lot more information about this machine I suggest you look over my other posts in the forums. Lot of posts about it. I have spent a good deal of time and money getting this machine in nice operational condition. It obviously had the taper attachment at one time and was removed at some point in its life. It has the accumulator dial. Does not have the stop rod option. Some staining on the ways but they are in great condition as well.

All the front electrical switches were replaced with new old stock switches.

Fitted with a Createtool multi position tool post. Comes with the tool post and 4 tool holders.

Has a Jacobs rubber flex collet chuck with a full set of collets as well as a couple of extras.

L0 spanner wrench included which was purchased from a member here that makes them.

Has a 3 jaw 6” chuck which I was told was a Bison however it is unbranded. In excellent condition. It has a makers mark that I found on the Internet indicated the chuck was from Poland.

Has an 8” 3 jack Buck chuck. Machine is under power and you are welcome to come inspect it. Was originally a 440 machine and has been converted to 220.

Includes 34 Rivett 6R collets.

The only thing I think still remains to be done to this machine is that seals could stand to be replaced. It does leak oil ever so slowly. Really slowly. Serial number 321 with a date of 1959. I can’t and won’t crate to ship. You’ll need to pick it up and load it.

$9,000. Far less than what I have in it.

c7363bf5e7fa7cd7335011ae85c6ccac.jpg

605639f2bc70a7ddad28057522a665e1.jpg

c9d2bbb116a13bdbdf6e5b050299622c.jpg

94f06cd999b6362083e6cb646ba3b07a.jpg

c11bc74c37edcd389a85ff53d71a132e.jpg

I also have an AMP rotary phase converter which I purchased from American Rotary to run this machine. Phase converter was $1783 and I will sell this separately or with the machine for $1200. Really like the AMP since it’s mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t believe I’m going to sell this, but I am. If you want a lot more information about this machine I suggest you look over my other posts in the forums. Lot of posts about it. I have spent a good deal of time and money getting this machine in nice operational condition. It obviously had the taper attachment at one time and was removed at some point in its life. It has the accumulator dial. Does not have the stop rod option. Some staining on the ways but they are in great condition as well.

All the front electrical switches were replaced with new old stock switches.

Fitted with a Createtool multi position tool post. Comes with the tool post and 4 tool holders.

Has a Jacobs rubber flex collet chuck with a full set of collets as well as a couple of extras.

L0 spanner wrench included which was purchased from a member here that makes them.

Has a 3 jaw 6” chuck which I was told was a Bison however it is unbranded. In excellent condition. It has a makers mark that I found on the Internet indicated the chuck was from Poland.

Has an 8” 3 jack Buck chuck. Machine is under power and you are welcome to come inspect it. Was originally a 440 machine and has been converted to 220.

Includes 34 Rivett 6R collets.

The only thing I think still remains to be done to this machine is that seals could stand to be replaced. It does leak oil ever so slowly. Really slowly. Serial number 321 with a date of 1959. I can’t and won’t crate to ship. You’ll need to pick it up and load it.

$9,000. Far less than what I have in it.

c7363bf5e7fa7cd7335011ae85c6ccac.jpg

605639f2bc70a7ddad28057522a665e1.jpg

c9d2bbb116a13bdbdf6e5b050299622c.jpg

94f06cd999b6362083e6cb646ba3b07a.jpg

c11bc74c37edcd389a85ff53d71a132e.jpg

I also have an AMP rotary phase converter which I purchased from American Rotary to run this machine. Phase converter was $1783 and I will sell this separately or with the machine for $1200. Really like the AMP since it’s mobile.

Makes that one that sold at auction for 400.00 look like a real deal. It didn't have the circus wagon paint though.

That wasn’t sold at auction. It was stolen at auction. But congrats to the person that got it.

This one definitely has the bonus circus paint job.

It’s a size E which is between the A and the B. And yes, I do like it. I’ve never worked with one of the originals that these copies are made from, but I’m impressed with the quality. Nina with createtool was very responsive as well.

I disallow the sale of your lathe. Hopefully a local PM-er will get a nice addition to their shop. I wish you the best with your sale.

I was also wondering about the $400 Rivett 1020S. Can only assume something is very wrong with the machine (hope not for Spud’s sake) or covid induced uncertainty is ruining the market. Just for comparison, a 1992 Monarch 10EE and Schaublin 150 both looking to be in very good condition just sold for roughly $4800 US in a Canadian sale. Both should have been double if not triple the price...

L7

I hope the same for Spud. Hopefully he got a sweetheart deal.

I can tell you that with woodworking tools the prices have gone up. But maybe that’s because more people buying woodworking tools are doing it as a hobby as opposed to metal being more for business. Who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm more into old woodworking machines and that market is better than the metalworking but in fairness, woodworking machines tend to be lighter and less scary to work on. Dave

Funny, I've always had the opposite reaction. Woodworking machines all look like finger and hand removal tools to me. I haven't used a table saw in years, but the way it would sometimes shoot pieces of wood and that menacing fastly rotating multitooth blade made me not want to use the thing anymore. Then again, i am a clockmaker and all my machines are low power and flat-belt. One would have to be really super careless to get seriously injured by a 100 yo Stark.

What is the runout on the spindle bore, what tolerances will it hold over say 10", how repeatable and to what precision do the three jaw chucks hold ? Those numbers will be important to a buyer of that type of lathe. Looks like the drive system is complete and original which is a plus. If those questions are answered in other threads, I apologize. Haven't taken the time to look yet. Dave

What is the runout on the spindle bore, what tolerances will it hold over say 10", how repeatable and to what precision do the three jaw chucks hold ? Those numbers will be important to a buyer of that type of lathe. Looks like the drive system is complete and original which is a plus. If those questions are answered in other threads, I apologize. Haven't taken the time to look yet. Dave

If you look at my other posts over the years you will see I've made a lot of posts on this machine. You'll also see the problems I've had with it and that have been fixed. I don't recall what the runout numbers are but for an interested buyer I'm happy to take whatever measurements, pictures, or videos anyone would like. Ways show very little wear. I've got lots of posts with lots of pictures and info here on this machine.

For those that have messaged asking for more info, thought I'd give a list of posts and videos to take a look at. All the issues noted in these posts have been fixed.

Bent feed rod was sent to a local shaft shop for straightening, runs true now.
Half nut gib repaired.
Broken shifter piece replaced with newly machined part.
Motor brake replaced with new old stock brake.
Lord isolation mounts replaced with new.
Transformer properly rewired.
Oiler lines cleaned out

Rivett 1020S - Button Bling
Rivett 1020S- Wiring Diagrams
Rivett 1020S - Video and electrical hum question
Rivett 1020S - "Center Chuck"
Rivett 1020S - Spindle not 6R?
Rivett 1020S - Removing the Feed Rod
Rivett 1020S - Broken half nut gib
Rivett 1020s - Max spindle speed
Circlip/Snap Ring? What is it?
Rivett 1020S Cross Slide Oiler Problem