What's new
What's new

Rivett 608 PB 5C for sale

jimmyb11

Aluminum
I just listed this item on Ebay but as I am in Canada the item does not show up on Ebay.com as I have it listed as "local pick up only", it is on Ebay.ca. I am happy to to assist the buyer getting it shipped or delivered but Ebay is not friendly for big items. As described it is a nice unit from 1941. I has been used but it has been stored for 10 years and sadly the compound slide is missing but other than that it operates smoothly and is oiled and will run now or a great restoration of a working machine, have a look at the ad, questions are welcome, thanks for your interest.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1312&_nkw=rivett++608&_sacat=0

The eBay description says, "not a fixer upper." Missing compound and motor means lots of fixing required. That is a downer.

It is in Toronto, by the way, priced at 1500 Canadian dollars (US$1145.30 today).

Larry

The eBay description says, "not a fixer upper." Missing compound and motor means lots of fixing required. That is a downer.

It is in Toronto, by the way, priced at 1500 Canadian dollars (US$1145.30 today).

Larry

Not a fixer upper for sure, I have seen rust encrusted derelict machines listed for plenty of $$$, this lathe will run under power now. The motor is a simple fix and yes, the compound was lost, it is all reflected in the price which is more than fair for this machine. Yes the lathe is in a heated home and in Toronto , the auction starts at $1200 USD. Considering it is 79 years old and still operates smoothly offers the purchaser the opportunity to simple get it going or as many do, spend the time to clean it all up knowing it will all work after the effort. A gearbox and an internal 5C spindle make this a super machine.

Not a fixer upper for sure, I have seen rust encrusted derelict machines listed for plenty of $$$, this lathe will run under power now. The motor is a simple fix and yes, the compound was lost, it is all reflected in the price which is more than fair for this machine. Yes the lathe is in a heated home and in Toronto , the auction starts at $1200 USD. Considering it is 79 years old and still operates smoothly offers the purchaser the opportunity to simple get it going or as many do, spend the time to clean it all up knowing it will all work after the effort. A gearbox and an internal 5C spindle make this a super machine.

You must realize how silly it is to say, "this machine will run under power now" when it has no motor. And a lathe with no way to attach a turning tool is not exactly ready to run. That said. if the condition of what is still there is really good, then I think the starting price is fine.

Larry

Might be best to not make any claims at all of serviceability, rather just on the condition of what's there.
Ways, spindle, etc.

with no tooling and missing parts its a tough one. There is someone on kijiji that looks like they're parting out a 608...maybe he has the missing bits? I've an early 608, everything is hand finished steel....did they paint the later ones? i.e. is that original paint?

with no tooling and missing parts its a tough one. There is someone on kijiji that looks like they're parting out a 608...maybe he has the missing bits? I've an early 608, everything is hand finished steel....did they paint the later ones? i.e. is that original paint?

During WWII, some machine makers relaxed their standards and marked their machines with a tag that said, "War Finish." Which is not to say that the finish on this one is original after 79 years.

The first ten day listing ended tonight with no bid, so it is listed for another ten days with the same opening bid, but also a "Make Offer."

As for tooling, the 5C spindle is a big plus because the Rivett designed collets (4NS and such) are scarce and expensive. So at least it would be easy to get collets that fit.

Larry

He is dreaming at $1500C. I don't follow Ebay sold sales but I know I could not get 1/2 of what he is asking in my area.
Bob

During WWII, some machine makers relaxed their standards and marked their machines with a tag that said, "War Finish." Which is not to say that the finish on this one is original after 79 years.

afaik it wasn't war time where that was made. My '42 10ee for example has the chrome accoutrements whereas a year later they were US war time grey. My 608 might also have been war time production, but more like the Spanish American war :D

I hear you about the ease of finding 5C collets, but regardless, a lathe without tooling, collets, chucks and a lot, becomes imo a tougher sell

Honestly unless you can find a compound for it, I think you're basically looking at scrap value. Its not exactly a super popular lathe that parts will be easy to find for. Its not a special enough lathe that someone would bother making a new compound from scratch for. There are lots of ready to go lathes that are of similar capability that would make a whole lot more sense to buy.

A friend of mine in Buffalo has a 4NS machine with a compound that could be had for parts, if there was such a need. I don't know what he would want for it, but probably reasonable.
--Doozer

Back