What's new
What's new

For sale 1941 South Bend Lathe 14.5

Daughty

Aluminum
I have for sale MY 1941 14.5 South Bend Lathe. This lathe "2 years ago" has been taking completely apart stripped and parts replaced. This is basically a brand new machine. This thing is fully loaded! I have the original wrenches. New felts throughout the headstock, apron, and gear box. Listed
Taper attachment
Thread dial
Micrometer carriage stop
Set of 5C collets 16th increments
Full set of lubricants
Full set of QCTP Phase II wedge style
Steady rest with roller fingers
Follow rest with roller fingers
Collet rack
3 and 4 jaw chucks " I believe they're 9" and 10"
Keyless chuck
Dumore tool post grinder
I have a tachometer for it as well but it's not hooked up.
I have the original power switch and arm mount, as well as an extra qcgb.
The motor is a 1.5HP 220/440V 3 phase. I have it hooked up to a VFD since I do not have 3ph output.

Pictured is the before and after pic as well as the serial card. Also in the before picture is everything that came with the lathe, everything you see added has bene bought buy me and tracked down. I can't tell you how many hours I have put into this but its well over 200 hours.

$4500 location is Bloomington Illinois

56456168_166061284299838_6154560815157477376_n.jpg52165054_375336813257403_256148765746921472_n.jpg57598438_1133741053464911_2862624109697695744_n.jpg56226030_377279949782721_6488512526924382208_n.jpg55947571_1197172383788364_590250638160429056_n.jpg

I don't do a lot of wanted here mainly because the response time tends to take a few days from people. Unlike, eBay, Craigslist and facebook marketplace i get responses within hours if not minutes.

mebbe if you went with a more traditional machine tool color scheme, (like, say grey, or dark green) instead of the Christmas candy-cane theme, ya might get a quicker response? not criticizing your choices for your self, just saying' might hurt the resale potential!! :D

I don't have an issue with the colour-scheme. It certainly wouldn't affect my decision to purchase. Pity I'm too far away.

meant to be helpful so don't be offended.

that red is hideous.
and it is on places where no paint should be...knobs,hand wheels,etc....if your hand has to touch it to operate it it should not be painted.

not saying you did a bad job, but it makes the whole machine look an "amateur" did it and that will put lots of potential buyers off, esp given the asking price which is steep for a SB.
Again, meant to be helpful.

My asking price is due to all the extra attachments and accessories that come with it. If I wanted to get rid of it in a hurry, I'd not include any of the extras and sell it for 2500-3000 and sell the other stuff separate

I understand that.
but you still wouldn't get 2500 without the accessories as it sits...what about the condition of the ways and feed screws? gears?
that is what matters and to expect a high end of the price range you must adress those things and prove its worth it.

acessorizing and painting old machines is almost always a money and time losing venture IME.

I do wish you the best of luck.

As you both should have read in my description. This machine was completely stripped, and worn or damaged parts were replaced with new or shop made. That includes all gears, lead screws brass nuts, bearings, etc.

Not being defensive, just saying a lot of the questions and criticism that's been said,the answers were in the ad.

I bought a 16 inch South Bend lathe manufactured for the war effort about 10 years ago for $800. This lathe was manufactured from cast iron and did not stand up to wear from repeatative cuts, and poor or non existing maintenance by the owners, which was the Onan corporation of Fridley, Mn. Also part of the headstock base was damaged because of careless handling. The bedways were worn excessively, as were the cross slide ways. The lead screw was worn out in one spot. The compound rest was missing. My reason for purchasing this lathe was a cheap option on which to mount my newly purchased TruTrace tracing attachment. I have since performed some re-machining of worn way areas, made a new lead screw and new cross feed screw and nut. I also replaced the compound rest with an appropriate slide that I purchased from the same place that I bought the lathe, which was Tried and True Tools of Fridley Mn, which has since closed their doors.

The lathe shown in this post has been painted up and represented as like brand new. But what about the wear by the long line of previous owners in its almost 70 years of life.

So you got a bad experience when you purchased yours? Mine however is not nearly as worn as yours was. The ways are in decent shape with very little play in the cross feeds. It makes me laugh when all people see and say is "just a new coat of paint." Because most people don't have the time, skill, or patience to complete disassemble, repair, or replace a machine like this.

Stating parts replaced means little.

Anyone who knows the SB machines are aware of weak spots.

The single lever gearbox is correct for the date but the date also is likely a soft bed.

A nice color photo of the whole machine shows a rattle can rebuild and nothing more regardless of facts.

Clear close photos of the ways to show conditions along with better detail of which parts were updated.

New parts does not cut it.

List of specific items changed or made along with measurements.

$4k is very high for a soft bed machine.

We have same machine with just about the same amount of tooling and it was covered with 60 years of crud but for $250.00 it was good buy.

Your local market may support the price but the description only supports a rattle can overhaul.

Rebuild is a lot stronger term than overhaul.

Rebuild is all items to factory spec.

Overhaul is general cleanup and maintenance.

Start over with your descriptions and sell your work...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back