What's new
What's new

FOR SALE: 1997 Fadal VMC15

aarongough

Stainless
Hey guys!
I bought this machine 2 years ago as part of a package deal, had to take 2 of them to get the purchase. I thought I would need both but that just hasn't been the case so I'm letting this one go.

The machine:
1997 Fadal VMC15
Spindle: 7500 RPM CAT40 15HP
Axis Travels: X:20" Y:16" Z:20"
Toolchanger: 21 pocket umbrella
Max feedrate: 250IPM
Max rapid: 400IPM
Control: CNC88HS (-5 CPU)
Power: 575V 3PH 15A (easy to change to 208V or even single phase w/ transformer swap)

Price: $9,000 USD (~$12K Canadian)

Phone: s i x - f o u r - s e v e n - s e v e n - f o u r - s i x - s e v e n - z e r o - e i g h t - t h r e e

Drawbar force is ~900lb which is well within spec for these machines with the non-locking drawbar. Spindle contact pattern looks good! No sign of bellmouthing and it looks like a light stoning would clean it up even more:

I am including a kit of spare parts with the machine. All the basic things that are small but could take the machine down for a couple of days if you don't have them on hand:

- 5x relays
- 2x SSR
- 2x servo brushes
- 1x drive belt
- 1x spindle encoder
- 1x ballscrew coupling
- 1x cabinet fan
- 1x thrust bearing
- 1x keyboard (for key-caps/parts only some traces are not working)
- 2x toolchanger clips
- One of every type of fuse in the machine

I am also including a couple of toolholders with pullstuds (both 3/8" endmill holders) and a USB to serial adapter along with a cable that can be used to load programs to the machine via a standard serial terminal program:

I have done quite a bit of work on this machine, as I do with all my machines :D I generally prefer to get them looking as nice as I can and go through the machine in order to make sure that there are no small issues that might get bigger with time.

Additionally the previous owner had re-painted this machine and really done an awful job of it. I think they painted it with latex house paint which immediately started coming off from coolant and chip scour. The machine looked like it had leprosy when I got it :nutter: I spent quite a while stripping all the crap paint off and re-finishing the original paint underneath. I am honestly not sure why they painted it as the original paint underneath was in excellent condition!

Here's the list of work I've done on the machine over the last year:

- Stripped all crappy paint off the machine, re-finished OEM paint
- Disassembled and re-finished all way covers.
- Replaced Y axis way wipers
- Polished and blued spindle nose
- Disassembled and cleaned toolchanger
- Replaced windows w/ new polycarbonate
- Re-painted saddle & front and back of table
- Re-painted underneath Y axis
- New pendant bumpers
- Replaced Y axis servo with spare
- Replaced all relays w/ new Omron relays (nice ones w/ mechanical & physical indicators)
- Replaced air filter bowl (drain valve was stuck)
- Replaced PDI pump filter
- Cleaned PDI reservoir & filled with new way oil
- Cleaned tool knockout cylinder
- Replaced all air exhaust mufflers (they tend to clog over time and then prevent proper function of solenoids)
- Replaced all leaking air fittings
- Replaced spindle belt w/ new Gates GT Carbon belt
- Fitted new light fixtures w/ 6000 lumens of LED lights

Photos of the machine with the covers off and during the restoration process:

Looks like a beauty. It is nice to see some taking the time to fix things up right and maintain them.

Someone could get this and add a Cal-Motion controller upgrade for a solid CNC machine with modern capabilities and STILL come in cheaper than a tormach.

Curious why not keep the two with enclosures and sell the first one you got?

Looks like a beauty. It is nice to see some taking the time to fix things up right and maintain them.

Thanks mate! Even though they are older machines they will last a very long time with a bit of care! My little Fadal VMC10 has certainly paid for itself many times over!

Someone could get this and add a Cal-Motion controller upgrade for a solid CNC machine with modern capabilities and STILL come in cheaper than a tormach.

Curious why not keep the two with enclosures and sell the first one you got?

No real need to upgrade the controller to be honest, I have looked into it but they don't offer a whole lot for price! I have a Calmotion DNC interface on both the other machines so I get unlimited size programs running off a USB stick with zero fuss!

The CNC88HS control will keep up with modern 3D contoring and adaptive roughing with no problems. I run my little VMC10 every day doing hard milling and 3D contouring handle scales and knife blades!

Yeah it's pretty crazy the value an older Fadal offers compared to same era HAAS or a new Tormach!

I am keeping the older one (VMC10) for a few of reasons:
- Electrical in the new shop would be right on edge with the two larger enclosed machines and the screw compressor, the smaller VMC10 is only 25A at full draw rather than 40.
- I have fully rebuilt that machine so I likely could not sell it for what I have invested in it
- It's setup with everything I need to run my parts already and has been a workhorse so keeping it is a bit of a safety net
- Sentiment, I did a lot of work on that machine and it's gotten me to where I am with my business!
- Finally, my girlfriend says I can't sell 'Milly' :D :D

I agree that in some ways keeping the two enclosed machines makes more sense but I'll likely keep the OG machine and build at least a partial enclosure for it. The other VMC15 will be taking over my production parts and the VMC10 will be used for R&D so lack of full enclosure will be less of an issue going forward!

Doing one final check over the machine yesterday I noticed that the backlash in Y was more than I remembered, it was actually showing about 0.0015" of backlash on an indicator which is no bueno!

I spent part of today changing out the Y axis thrust bearing with excellent results! I have done this a few times before on other machines so it went smoothly, just took longer than I remembered:

End result is 0.0002" of backlash on the Y axis. I double checked the other axes to make sure they were ok and it turns out they were actually comped more than they should have been, here are the final backlash compensation numbers I ended up with:

Long story short, this is a very tight machine now!

Back