taft3.jpg

taft4.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6029.jpg
    IMG_6029.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 164
Identical to mine - what a treasure

You might notice the spindle TILTS!

I recently swapped out the vertical for the fine adjust variety - you can dial in .0002

IMG_2678.jpg

Forgot to add - these elderly cast base jobs are surprisingly heavy

Last edited:
The only real downside to the TP Model 1 is that there is no provision to zero the dials on any of the axis.

The Rx either a calculator or a DRO.

Great size for a home shop, and the tilt head is fantastic, lets the machine grind to a sharp corner.

I just bought a do all 6 18, but, who doesnt need a manual grinder?
What is your zip code? Maybe I'll scoop this up, too

Identical to mine - what a treasure

You might notice the spindle TILTS!

I recently swapped out the vertical for the fine adjust variety - you can dial in .0002

View attachment 295624

Forgot to add - these elderly cast base jobs are surprisingly heavy

The shop that I served my apprenticeship in had 2 grinders with that type of fine adjustment. But I always remembered them as Thompsons. Anyone know if Thompson had a similar fine feed in a 6 x 12 size machine?
John

I love mine for sure. One side note, mine is 5x10 travels, not 6x12, and I thought that was the case for all Mark 1s, so that’s worth double checking.

I had a small Thompson 8" x 24" , but too many years ago to recall the fine details of the feed mechanism. As I recall you had direct feed at the rim of the feed-wheel and a planetary set and fine feed knob on the inner margin of the main hand wheel.

Biggest issue with the Thompson was it would sometimes sit for a couple months and it would take an hour of fussing to purge all the air from the hydraulics.

Walt,

Any option for shipping?

Boss may not approve the 8 1/2 hr drive to pick it up :rolleyes5::D

Seriously interested, looks like a nice grinder, and I have always wanted one with the tilting head.

I tried giving you a call, but got a "call cannot be completed as dialed".

Tilting head made possible grinding (in two set ups) each side and half the "bottom" (which was in no way critical) of the 3.875 "slot" here when I had to make a clapper box for my 36" Ohio shaper

I got it closer than the + or minus shown here

Clapper Box.jpg

Back