Plastic
RPM : 15000 - 54000
45 - 165V
250 - 900Hz
0.7 Kw
3.5 Amps
Carry / Storage CaseDSC_0716 2.jpg

Last edited:
theothertom, do you have the power supply for it, or are you selling just the head? Also, is the (looks like Moore) shank removable from the rest of the head so it can be mounted on something other than a Moore jig-grinder? What sizes of collets are you selling with the head?

It does have closing nut. Not sure of the size of collets that accompany it. it can be mounted on something us.

If it's ready to run, meaning all the pieces are there to plug it in, chuck a diamond pin or mounted stone with a standard sized shank, and get to work, I'd be interested in discussing price. Not keen on doing the guessing game thing.

If it's ready to run, meaning all the pieces are there to plug it in, chuck a diamond pin or mounted stone with a standard sized shank, and get to work, I'd be interested in discussing price. Not keen on doing the guessing game thing.

The guy's just joined to sell stuff. I'd be concerned about bearing condition given the apparent age of the machine, a spun bearing will ruin your whole day with a spindle of that speed. Not to mention whether the balance is good on it, and what electrical power supply it needs to work correctly.

The guy's just joined to sell stuff. I'd be concerned about bearing condition given the apparent age of the machine, a spun bearing will ruin your whole day with a spindle of that speed. Not to mention whether the balance is good on it, and what electrical power supply it needs to work correctly.

Fair points. My older one wants about a 15-20 minute slow ramp warm-up to keep the bearings & lube sweet. Fischer spindle's rebuild, bearings & balance price would buy a lot of other things.

Variable speed for ramp-up or mounted stone diameter SFM consideration WAS done off an ignorant Variac, line frequency.

Dataplate on this one seems to hint at a VFD instead? IF so, (and it may NOT be so..) where is it?

Gentlemen,

I could possibly put eyes, and ears on this next week. I'm only about 35 minutes away.

I took a ride out there yesterday. In full disclosure, I bought that over 50 year old beat Walker Turner. I'll pause here for the laughter to subside.

What can I say, I'm a hard case when it comes to old American iron, my shops full of vintage equipment. This saw will make a good winter project.

While there, I saw several other machines, and looked at the model 0 drill grinder. It was wired 120 volt, and clean. Still not worth the ask price of $1150 (imo) but still a nice machine.

I didn't look at the Precise grinder, but I might be going back in a week or so, and would be willing to report back on the grinder for you.

I have to agree, based on the data plate that lists input voltage at 45 to 165 and Hertz at 250 to 900, this thing must need to run off of one hell of a special power supply, and if that is not there......

Anyways, if I can help out, give me a shout.

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

I'm curious what people think these are worth?.

I've got one in a wood case with an SK40 mount, the power supply and a bunch of arbors and collets. I contacted the company to see about getting a different taper mount for it and was told parts were no longer available due to its age.

It's been sitting in my tool cabinet. Figured if I ever need it for a job, I'd pull it out and figure it out. I've never put power to it.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Steve, kind offer and perhaps someone will take you up on it. I'm stuffed to the gills with bric-a-brac already, so I doubt I'll be buying anything from this gent.

Now, if he had a power supply for a 11.5 Kw, 30K rpm GMN grinding spindle, I'd have a look-see. But I doubt it...

I have to agree, based on the data plate that lists input voltage at 45 to 165 and Hertz at 250 to 900, this thing must need to run off of one hell of a special power supply, and if that is not there......

Not THAT special. When I decided VFD weren't worth my time, one of those I pitched was a 10 HP Schneider Altivar 71 as was (also) configurable for use with 400 Hz motors and could have done that, even if not optimally.

There are similar goods around. The electronics are even easier for 1-P than for 3-P.

It's just that most of them are out of our direct sight. As-in HVAC, (not yet, here) or a washing machine and inverter-driven linear-compressor LG fridge-freezer which I have had for some years, already.

I'm curious what people think these are worth?.

I've got one in a wood case with an SK40 mount, the power supply and a bunch of arbors and collets.

Around $800 IIRC, older Variac-powered model, but factory sheet-metal cased. ISTR the McGonegal J35, full OEM kit, was also just under $800.

But I had been "watching" for more than two years for the best ones I could find, used. Good LOOKING, reasonably full kit, and not horribly priced, anyway.

You wouldn't happen to have an R8 spindle under-roof?

My one is R8. Have to grasp it on the straight portion of the tail as I'm too lazy to mess with altering that.

My spindles, OTOH are NMTB 40 (2) or B&S #9 (2). Both can grasp that tail, but still... that's a kludge, and touchy.

Mine must be an antique. Its like other UNIVERSAL devices, The more single phase EMF, the faster it goes or vice versa

Easy to control speed with my large POWERSTAT

My hand held Precise is the same and the same top end - and has the same howl

Mine must be an antique. Its like other UNIVERSAL devices, The more single phase EMF, the faster it goes or vice versa

Easy to control speed with my large POWERSTAT

My hand held Precise is the same and the same top end - and has the same howl

Air-powered Japanese & German spindle-nose art ate a lot of their market for smaller money and even less "daylight". Newer electrically-driven ones are in the channel as well. Fischer Spindle et al seem to be earning a crust.

So the "Precise" line are ALL "antiques" by this late date, John.

Same as WE are!

Mind, as the wise remind our wives now and then.. "obsolete don't mean USELESS!"
I mean.. I can still take out the garbidge, anyway... if I remember to do...

You wouldn't happen to have an R8 spindle under-roof?

Nope, I do have a 40 taper to R8 adapter kicking around. Tons of stickout, though, think you'd be over a foot of stickout if you were to use it with this head.

Teryk

sorry for the late reply. I will get you the answers you are looking for and reply back to you once all info in is hand.

It does have power supply. it also come with an R8 attachment for Bridgeport type machine. has 3 collets (not sure of sizes)asking $1500.00

Nope, I do have a 40 taper to R8 adapter kicking around. Tons of stickout, though, think you'd be over a foot of stickout if you were to use it with this head.

Teryk

Ahh, no I meant I do NOT have (nor want) R8 spindle. I DO have 40-taper spindles, might trade the R8-tailed one I have for a 40-taper (SK40) you have IF you have a "native" R8 machine .. so neither of us needed an adaptor.

Sounds as if you already have 40-taper spindle as well, so no gain.

Just a thought.

Back