What's new
What's new

Schaublin 102-80, Bench Mt, W25, Backgear, Screw Operated Slide, Tailstock, inch

cinematechnic

Cast Iron
I purchased this machine from a local watchmaker after I had sold my Schaublin 102N. My intention was to set up a secondary operation machine, mostly for precision grinding of small parts.

When I purchased the machine it did not have a carriage (cross slide). I happened to have an extra slide which originally came with my 1982 Schaublin 102N. The buyer of that machine wanted the metric slide so I kept the inch slide.

Due to considerations such as limited shop space, I have decided to offer the machine for sale.

Basic details:

Bed for underneath drive, Nr. 23131x, probably mid to late 1970's.

Headstock with 5:1 Geared Reduction Unit, for W25 collets, Nr. 407x, includes manual drawbar. Painted same color (blue-gray hammer finish) as bed and seems to be matched to it.

Morse Taper 2 tailstock (inch) Nr. 1008x, standard Schaublin gray.

Screw-Operated Carriage, inch, 3.54" stroke, 1982 build, from Schaublin 102N, Nr. N 3528x

I'm including 13x W25 collets (fractional inch), MT2 live center, MT2 dead center, Jacob's #34 Drill Chuck on MT2 shank.

NOTE: A motor is NOT included. The previous owner purchased this lathe mounted on a cast-iron base. He wanted the base to mount a 102N he had purchased that lacked a base. The lathe can be mounted on a sturdy bench and powered from a motor mounted underneath.

More details and photos can be found on my website:
Schaublin 102-80 lathe for sale - CinemaTechnic

Price: $3939.- USD
Will consider reasonable offers (including partial trades of precision tooling), low-balls politely declined.

My contact information is listed on my website. Email is my PM username at mac.com, tel is 3 2 3 6 4 5 0 1 6 8

I'll be happy to answer any questions about the lathe.

SV102-80_Bed-Headstock_side_474w.jpg
SV102-80_W25_BG_Headstock.jpg
102N_Screw_Carriage_102-45.jpg
SV102-80_Tailstock_MT2.jpg

Notes on condition:

Headstock:
Original hand scraping is visible and clear on the bottom of the headstock. The cogged V-belt is cracked and should be replaced.

Carriage (cross slide):
Carriage is much newer than the rest of the machine, as it comes from a 1982 Schaublin 102N. The original grinding marks can still be seen on the ways, although there is some wear.
X axis reads in diameter, so you can indeed in 0.00025 increments
X axis backlash 0.0043 in
Z axis backlash 0.0060 in

Tailstock:
Tailstock does not show scraping marks on the sole. This is typical of Morse Taper tailstocks on Schaublins unless they are new or have seen very little use.
I checked tailstock alignment with a Blake Co-Ax indicator. It showed a maximum deviation of 0.0015 in.

If you are looking for a bargain and don't mind some DIY work:
I have another carriage that I could package with this lathe if you want to spend less on the machine and are willing to do some work.

The carriage is older than the one from the 102N. I replaced the infeed (X axis) leadscrew/handle assembly with a special Schaublin part that is marked ".001/.0001". This is supposed to be a special part that allowed for .0001in infeed for grinding, but I can't figure out how that works.

It just seems to operate as a regular .001 in per line infeed (so you could indeed in .0005 in increments since it reads in diameter. However it is a NEW leadscrew/nut and has very little backlash. The leadscrew/nut for the Z axis is worn and has significant backlash. So that is one area you'd need to address yourself with this slide.

If you want to get this slide instead of the one from the 102N I can reduce the price of the machine by $600.-
102-80_Tailstock_Alignment-1.jpg102-80_Headstock_Sole.jpg

Back