Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a 2007 Chevy Pickup with less rust. In Minnesota we use lots of salt on the roads - my P.U. is worth about 250 bucks. Caveat emptor -- let the buyer beware!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just bought some equipment from a big manufacturer and their sense of value was really screwed on most of the stuff. The plant manager thought that the giant old manual stuff that was worn out and/or broken was worth top dollar whereas late model CNC mills were 1/2 of scrap price with free loading. I was happy to cherry pick what I wanted, but left scratching my head. I kinda figured they'd ask me to just haul off the crap I didn't want to pay for, but nope, they're happy to just let it sit there in the way until someone wants to pay too much for it.

Some big old manual stuff can be worth a bunch even in rough shape, but that Ebay lathe is not in that category.

3. Likes Toolmaker51 liked this post
    Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been to a few auctions where Scott Hall was bidding on machines like the "good old days" of Reliable. There was an Excello mill at Beechcraft in a shed where the junk was moved, I wanted the head for my K&T. He out bid me to 1200, I then just for grins keep pushing, he ended up paying 21-2200? Plus a buyers fee. Same thing on a drill press. I am not sure what he got given to him, he was payin over retail for junk at the auctions I attended a few years ago.

Steve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in SoCal View Post
    He out bid me to 1200, I then just for grins keep pushing, he ended up paying 21-2200? Plus a buyers fee. Same thing on a drill press. I am not sure what he got given to him, he was payin over retail for junk at the auctions I attended a few years ago.
    You sly dog, you!

I guess some people don't know when to throw in the towel. Doubt those items could be sold in a way he could recoup the loses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A left over black friday salevise.jpg

I bet the 481 buyers are kicking themselves....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cmccull166 View Post
    A left over black friday salevise.jpg

I bet the other 481 buyers are kicking themselves....
    Nah, they'll just go for the one that's ~$10 cheaper: 2" PRECISION GRINDING TOOLMAKER SCREWLESS VISE | eBay

.0002" for under $30? Is that a pig I see flying by??

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    There is a local used machinery dealer that is trying to sell a 1984 Brother for like $4k after I gave it to them at the old shop. I mean they cleaned it up but I doubt they used $3500 worth of Brakleen.
    Four grand I could see ... they had to move it, research it, write it up, maybe hook electric to it, talk to people, all that. It's the guys who want 40 that amaze me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HAAS Guy View Post
    You sly dog, you!

I guess some people don't know when to throw in the towel. Doubt those items could be sold in a way he could recoup the loses.
    That's the whole idea behind an auction.. You get a half dozen guys with polka dot welding hats standing around bidding against each other with the idea of "that sob ain't gonna get it away from me", and the prices skyrocket.. Usually the thing I wanted to bid on was the last one on the list behind all the jeep trailers, pallets of 671 parts, etc....I stopped going to those years ago.... Cheers; Ramsay 1

10. Likes dalmatiangirl61, Bowtie_Finn liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Nah, they'll just go for the one that's ~$10 cheaper: 2" PRECISION GRINDING TOOLMAKER SCREWLESS VISE | eBay

.0002" for under $30? Is that a pig I see flying by??
    $12 shipping brings it back up...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    $12 shipping brings it back up...
    The other one had a similar shipping cost, at $12.20.
    2" SCREWLESS TOOLMAKER GRINDING GROUND VISE .0002 STEEL | eBay

[Yes, I was bored enough to check]

13. Likes adh2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ramsay1 View Post
    You get a half dozen guys with polka dot welding hats standing around bidding against each other with the idea of "that sob ain't gonna get it away from me", and the prices skyrocket..
    Ramsay1 -

Yep - but I still find it some of the better entertainment around here. But then I have been accused of having a sick sense of humor.....

Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by duckfarmer27 View Post
    Ramsay1 -

Yep - but I still find it some of the better entertainment around here. But then I have been accused of having a sick sense of humor.....

Dale
    As my sister says "it's cheap entertainment." LOL.... Never ceases to amaze me how people will pay high dollars for something.. I once wanted to bid on a Dodge M37 for parts for the one I was driving... The "parts truck" was really rough but had some good hard parts on it so I figured about 300 oughtta do it.. WRONG! The "welders" started bidding on it and it went for 800.. Heck, I paid 1200 for my driver and it had a crate full of new parts and a brand new Braden winch still in the crate with it and I drove it all home! And of course, this was the last item in the bid list.....Ramsay 1

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    I just bought some equipment from a big manufacturer and their sense of value was really screwed on most of the stuff. The plant manager thought that the giant old manual stuff that was worn out and/or broken was worth top dollar whereas late model CNC mills were 1/2 of scrap price with free loading. I was happy to cherry pick what I wanted, but left scratching my head. I kinda figured they'd ask me to just haul off the crap I didn't want to pay for, but nope, they're happy to just let it sit there in the way until someone wants to pay too much for it.

Some big old manual stuff can be worth a bunch even in rough shape, but that Ebay lathe is not in that category.
    Happens all the time. New owner or manager prices the giant old manual stuff by comparison instead of knowledge. It probably was 100% depreciated by then, so he just see's $$$$.00's. The CNC's [run to hell, sans tooling] were probably priced according input from accounting department and disgusted foreman at has-been programming.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; 12-30-2019 at 03:28 PM. Reason: poor format

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This Dixi started out at something like $89,999 and now he raised the price ten grand.(Goverment Surplus&#128563 Dixi Horizontal Jig Mill 60mm 1966, (G & L Boring Mill) | eBay

18. Likes Bowtie_Finn liked this post