What's new
What's new

Seller fantasy eBay machine tool offering of the day..

Maybe it's just "fat finger syndrome" and an extra zero was accidentally added.

More likely it's someone who has no idea what it's worth and is scared they're going to give away the golden goose too cheaply.

They figure they'll wait until they get multiple offers to choose from. Ironically, the very high ask price will scare many (if the condition hasn't already done so).

Maybe someone local to the seller will go look at it, and have a face to face where they can convince he seller of the reality of their situation.

Oh well, thanks for my Sunday morning funny, but sad post of the day.

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

I am not a machinist by trade. I have come here to learn (and eventually have my own hobby machine shop). But in the time that I have spent here, I have realized that some people think old American iron is worth near its weight in platinum. It's too bad, because anyone who truly believes a 60 year-old Lodge and Shipley lathe that is filthy and doesn't even have a chuck is worth anywhere near $12K is going to spend a lot of time waiting. Maybe he'll get the idea after the lathe sits for a month or two with no offers? I can only hope he does, but I tend to think he's going to have a difficult time selling it.

I am not a machinist by trade. I have come here to learn (and eventually have my own hobby machine shop). But in the time that I have spent here, I have realized that some people think old American iron is worth near its weight in platinum. It's too bad, because anyone who truly believes a 60 year-old Lodge and Shipley lathe that is filthy and doesn't even have a chuck is worth anywhere near $12K is going to spend a lot of time waiting. Maybe he'll get the idea after the lathe sits for a month or two with no offers? I can only hope he does, but I tend to think he's going to have a difficult time selling it.

Yabutt !

"You can make gun parts with it".....:nutter:

Seems to be a buzz phrase.

Well, it may not have a chuck. But it does appear to have a hydraulic tracer on it. And it is pretty large. But if you would look at his other items for sale, the pricing strategy would pop out at you. I think its called "cascade" type

I think Hall Industrial Services are a rigging outfit in Wichita.

As has been said recently: "What's the matter with Kansas?"

As my distantly-related eBay fantasy, seen just this morning, and completely OT:

1969 Datsun Roadster | eBay

Having owned a Datsun roadster in an earlier life, I occasionally look to see what is out there. My god, this is out there.

As has been said recently: "What's the matter with Kansas?"

As my distantly-related eBay fantasy, seen just this morning, and completely OT:

1969 Datsun Roadster | eBay

Having owned a Datsun roadster in an earlier life, I occasionally look to see what is out there. My god, this is out there.

Well, it's located in Lake Oswego. That's the first sign of something funny going on. :D
(Lake Oswego is a fairly upper-crust area just south of Portland, OR. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a single Lodge & Shipley lathe in the entire zip code.)

It is a local rigger. Pretty big operation. I'm surprised loading is free. Best part is you could call them to ask and see it and more than likely no one will know anything about it. I have tried doing business with them a few times. I find punching myself in the face is less painful.

Local rigger, so he was paid to haul it off. Now wants beyond top dollar. This is actually pretty common. I have attended 2 auctions over the years that where riggers warehouse sales. Both times they stopped the auction and tried to turn into a negotiated sale because the worn out junk that was not under power and was missing parts didn't bring over dealer retail for good machines. Plus loading fees and 10% to the auction house. .

The last one wanted $5k each for enco milling machines that looked like a war zone. I actually showed the owner the enco flier with lower price.

That is a big rigger in Wichita. If you need something done now, you will have to get them to do it. Mostly because Belger Cartage is usually booked up months out.

Its been several years, but last time I was at an auction where Hall was there it looked like Mr. Hall was channeling his inner "Reliable Tool".

I would concur Hall was paid to haul the lathe off.

They currently have 446 listing and have sold 16 listings in the last 60 days. That's a terrible return on the time and effort invested. Hopefully they're better at the rigging business than they are at the selling business.

They must have screwed up entering the price. I mean the damn name is wrong also and it's right there on the machine in the picture. Just lazy.

Ebay loves it.. I have been collecting mainly Kearney and Trecker stuff for years now and much of it came from Ebay....I once bought a cherrying attachment for 35 dollars brand new....The last one I saw on Ebay sold for 350 well used... Dealers have ruined ebay for buyers because now sellers look at what dealers want and price their items accordingly.. "Aint nothin' worth nothin' till somebody wants it"..Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Halls is terrible, place i worked at would pay em to haul machines and other equipment off, then they'd list same worn out stuff for big bucks. I doubt the price was fat fingered having seen many items they list as they are local to me. But I'd never buy anything from them. Yeah, Belger's is a far better company to deal with. Don't think Belger's is a used equipment dealer though, but I could be wrong on that. We did have an honest dealer in Wichita that was more fair and had lots of machines, but he retired and shut it down a few years back. So we're stuck with Halls here as the only dealer I know of, got to go to Tulsa, OKC or KC to avoid them. I know guys who buy from Hall's and seemed happy with the deals.

I'll never understand that either. Machinery depreciates faster than boats from what I have seen. People like to think their ancient lathe is a one-of-a-kind find, when in reality it is simply a well-used machine for a hobby shop.

Not a typo, since they say it again in the body of the description. There is a local used machinery dealer that is trying to sell a 1984 Brother for like $4k after I gave it to them at the old shop. I mean they cleaned it up but I doubt they used $3500 worth of Brakleen.

Back