What's new
What's new

Sheldon Lathe with a lot of tooling

JoinerCP

Aluminum
This lathe was purchased from a gunsmith who had just upgraded. I believe he was chasing tenths but he said this lathe treated him very well for a number of years. Loads of tooling came with this lathe and it's been sitting in my garage for 3+ years relatively unused.

There is a guy who is a Sheldon lathe encyclopedia on the Sheldon yahoo groups. I believe he worked at the Sheldon factory. I sent him the stamp/pictures of the lathe and he told me:

The lathe was built on government contract, it has all the bells and whistles such as thread chasing dial, thread cutting stops, a spindle nose protector, 5c collet handwheel and nose adapter. The spindle bearings are the newer taper roller type.

It has the often sought after taper attachment, live and dead centers, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, lathe dogs, faceplates, etc. The bed is in very good condition by my estimation, a couple dings but it's been well-cared for throughout it's life. If you'd like different pictures, please let me know.

Single phase motor with forward/reverse and work lamp attached.

Located in St. Louis, MO

$2000

Nice clear pics, but people are going to want a model number and year of manufacture. Does look like with the tooling it is priced to sell, but I know nothing about Sheldons, other than he is an annoying character on Big Bang Theory.

Last edited:
Circa 1975 I was about to order a Sheldon just like this one when the dealer told me that they had quit making them. The excuse was that they were on a steel allocation and were putting it in CNC machines instead of manual ones. Two machinists, one the best I ever worked with, recommended this lathe. I wound up with a 14 1/2" South Bend, which did yeoman duty but was never what I would call top of the line. Later I found a brand new, still in the crate, Sheldon R 15, which is a superb machine. They made good stuff.

Check the front way below the chuck. Scrape the back side of the way with a fingernail. Wear on the ways shows up there first. If you want some advice, I will come along.

Bill

I agree Sheldon made a vary good lathe. Had one but sold it as it was replaced with a Monarch. Biggest complaint I had was that the machine dials are 1/8" rather than 1/10". Crossfeed dial ends at .125 then the next graduation is 0.

Tom

One finger nail check is to feel the top of the bed V to see if there is a lip... but very often a lathe flipper will take a file to that lip and make rid of it.

I used to prefer the 1/8" dials...Yes not I like the 100s. Cut my teeth on a Sheldon 15.. very nice lathe IMHO.

Used one to steady on the barrel breach collar and turn 98 barrel ODs. Chucking the the barrel end before the front sight in a 4jaw so not needing to remove it...Made quick work of that. Many 98s had the lathe tool marks left in and looked poor with not turning. plus they were stepped not a long taper.

Q: [What is the spindle bore dim?]

Often that may mean the head stock spindle bore ID size..for gun work the front sight will not go through a small head stock bore for use of a rear spider centering device. Removing and resetting a front sight is just another time waste.

QT 9100 [ If you want some advice, I will come along.] any time you can get a lathe/machine hand to go along don't pass the chance. I think even to pay a guy to go with you to take a look is a good idea..There is so much to think about, just reading about it if far lacking..bu still hand can miss things.. I went to inspect a grinder last week and forgot to check the cross dial free play..good it was OK. (I should have made a list of things to check.)

No I have never asked for pay.. I'm well set for money and just do it for fun.

What is the spindle bore dim?

Many of the Sheldon's (e.g with 1 3/4" x 8tpi spindle thread) had a spindle bore large enough to clear the closer tube and a 1 1/16" max material through a 5c collet and the closer. Decent if you do a lot of collet work. Not as large as the 1.5" you'll typically find on generic 12" swing lathes.

On edit - seems Hodge was in with the exact dimension a minute earlier.

If that was closer, I'd be heading over to look at it.

Comparing specs between the heavy 10 and the equivalent Logan and Sheldon and the Sheldon comes out ahead in a lot of respects. The South Bend, and to a lesser extent, the Logan, have the "name".

It's the Rodney Dangerfield of lathes - it don't get no respect.

Steve

I owned one just like this in the 1970's. They are superb little lathes. These were used to equip US ARMY field truck machine shops. These trucks also has a small Sheldon bench shaper, which also was very useful.

I have a Rockwell 14 X 40 I think it is a very good lathe. The biggest complaint I have heard about them is, parts are hard to find. But I have not broken anything, so I would not know.

Back