What's new
What's new

Shop Auction in Toledo Ohio Wednesday January 29

SIP6A

Titanium
I'm in the process of helping a customer liquidate there business. They were in the business of manufacturing food service equipment. It's a fairly small shop but there is a lot of useful stuff.

The best piece in the auction is a monarch model "C" 12 x 36 lathe.(I'm not entirely sure if this is correct. I am going there tomorrow and will post correct information tomorrow afternoon) This shop is the lathes second owner. The first owner bought it new out of government surplus in 1946 he ran a one man shop that was primarily a screw machine shop. This lathe got very little use and was very well taken care of. When he retired about 1982 or so the lathe was sold to it's present owner who got it with the contents of the shop. he really had no use for it and it was shoved into a back room where it has sat until now. I have run this lathe and it is a very nice, solid, tight lathe. It has an extra dial that measures the distance the saddle travels in "Z"

Other than that there is an Index mill, two machining centers that both run, a couple of turret lathes, there is a Harding DV-59 with a pile of tooling, bunch of drill presses. lots more.

Here is the listing from the auction Co. Auction Calendar – Montrie Auction & Estate Service, LLC

They have over two hundred photos posted.

Was in the shop today. The Monarch is a model "12"- CK" actual swing is 14.5 lathe serial number is 17775 with a build date of 8-1942 I found 3 jaw chuck, 4 jaw chuck, face plate, steady rest, most of a set of 16J collets, collet chuck, toolpost, bunch of Armstrong tool holders, carriage handle is broken off but with the lathe.

If you went to the auction I'd love a follow up on how things sold.

Well, the antiques did OK, the shop equipment didn't bring much Index mill $300.00 The nice Monarch 12 x 30 lathe with tooling brought $200.00 the two machining centers didn't get bids. the smalls went from cheep to OK. The only thing that brought really good money was the shop clock it was an advertising clock from a furnaces co. The dial had a stick man that his hair was on fire and his arms were the clock hands brought almost $600.00

That is kind of what I expected. I'm not familiar with that auction company but if they are not known for industrial auctions those prices don't surprise me considering a weekday auction. I wanted to be there but Columbus to Toledo is a long trek for things I don't need. I probably would have bought the Monarch if for no other reason than for the accessories since I already have a 12CK.

Kicking myself as a Toledoan whose been looking for a small hobby mill...For $300 I could have afforded to hire professional riggers to move the index...

Wow, wish I hadn't missed this thread... I could have really used that Monarch. My EE is OK for most rough stuff, but trying to hold anything close tolerance is a chore. Would have giggled all the way home to get a nice CK for a few hundred bucks.

Wow, wish I hadn't missed this thread... I could have really used that Monarch. My EE is OK for most rough stuff, but trying to hold anything close tolerance is a chore. Would have giggled all the way home to get a nice CK for a few hundred bucks.

The lathe went to a dealer. If your interested in paying a couple of grand for it I can put you in touch.
Todd
[email protected]

Back