What's new
What's new

SIP Jig bore HY-8P For sale

Age, condition, and tooling included will help, some pics would be good too. No matter what, jig borers aren't in demand, though the really small ones are (like the size of a small Igloo cooler)and fetch hefty prices- maybe the really big ones too?

38,000 Lb's 19 tons. Bare machine a bit more than what scrap is going for in your area. If it has a cabinet full of tooling and rotary table add $2,000.00 if you have the tilting rotary table add another 1,500.00

38,000 Lb's 19 tons. Bare machine a bit more than what scrap is going for in your area. If it has a cabinet full of tooling and rotary table add $2,000.00 if you have the tilting rotary table add another 1,500.00

So why is there no demand for jig borer's these days? Where is specialized tooling being built now? I remember making lots of tooling plates (to hold down parts on NC machines) on DeVliegs back in the day. And large one off precision parts? Has this work disappeared or is it all being done on precision nc machines? What happened to jig borer work?

What happened to jig borer work?

Nothing much, just that the qualified people went away and the name changed

When was the last time someone got hired to not only do the exacting/unforgiving brain work, but also be directly and physically responsible for the exact positioning of some monster sized machine tool axis

Yes, this 19 ton beauty is miles beyond the copious and exacting stacks of notes in the end measure days - but some one individual has to have exactly the same result - perfect positioning before making a chip

I have had and thoroughly enjoyed my 3B P&W (only 15,000 Lbs) for nearly 20 years - but never made a dime with it:D

Attachments

• DCP_1135.jpg
    DCP_1135.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
So why is there no demand for jig borer's these days? Where is specialized tooling being built now? I remember making lots of tooling plates (to hold down parts on NC machines) on DeVliegs back in the day. And large one off precision parts? Has this work disappeared or is it all being done on precision nc machines? What happened to jig borer work?

Mostly replaced by cnc, although I have seen a few recently. One in an aerospace place for a couple very particular jobs, and a couple in a injection molding job shop. Cnc, and maybe even more so specialized tools and coatings, make it easier and easier to do complete jobs on one machine. We hard milled and hard turned on a weekly basis with Haas machines 10 years ago without issues. Now technology across the board is even better, and tools and tool coatings far better.

Most any middle range and high end CNC mill can do what a SIP can do and 100 times faster.

They're beautiful giant fascinating machines, but no good for productivity.

My 80 year old best friend machinist is always astounded by what the 20+ year old CNC mills I have squat into put out and how the toolpaths work. For the longest time he refused to believe you could interpolate a perfectly round hole without extreme measures. I showed him you can even do it with reckless abandon and it blew his mind.

My Dad ran a Jig Bore department for many years. Got my feet wet there starting when I was 15. I get misty whenever I see a Jig Bore........... LOL!

Back