What's new
What's new

small covel 6x12 grinder

RobbyWeeds

Aluminum
I have a covel 7a hand grinder. it runs and grinds but I have trouble hitting tolerances. I'm not a grinding expert so I do not know how to diagnose the problem.

I will post pictures asap. no tooling or Chuck. 240v single phase. southeast PA.

big caveat is i do not have a way to load this. it's in a garage but I do not have a fork lift or equipment to lift it.

email at robwisnewski@gmail

price is $250 OBO

photos to come

"single phase" is a warning flag for me. Surface grinder motors are typically balanced 100X more closely than regular motors. And they are nearly always 3-phase. I suspect someone may have removed the precision balanced 3 phase motor and replaced it with a regular off-the-shelf single phase motor. This would be acceptable if the single phase motor were taken to a balance shop and precision balanced. But probably it caused vibration that would definitely show in the grind.

I did get dunbar rollers for it and the table moves great but no matter what I do I can't come within 1 thou on a 4 inch part. sometimes it grinds high towards the front, other times toward the back, other times it dishes in the middle, other times the opposite. I don't know what it is. ide presume the ways are in bad shape even though they look great.

if you grind a light cut ..then go back over it does it take more stock in varing places?

Some grinders grind differntly with going in, or going back with the cross. so best to finish going a certain direction only for the finish grind.,
Sometimes good to put an indicator to the wheel dead to give a goodhand push pullans seeif everything is solid.
Same with the table..see if any wiggle wags.
give the chuck a light soft hammer bump under an indicator..this way and that..

Wish I had a little more room. I'm a sucker for a low price and a good project :D
In Pennsy too. Good Luck

Back