What's new
What's new

So the difference is.... And a belt sander for sale cheap, and about closing shop

indianamoon

Aluminum
Recently there have been some complaints about me selling and not posting. Tried to mark items sold, but those threads are locked. Looks like I've been spanked.

I completely understand not wanting some company, or machine dealer, or someone else who is just looking to profit by selling here, to be allowed to post just for profit. I'm not that guy.

Every time I get on this site, I take a look at the recent posts to see if I have anything to contribute. Sometimes I do, other times not. I don't want to post just to get the post count up. And I don't reply to two year old threads. Today I contributed.

I am retired, shop is closed, I am liquidating, offering items at what I think are very reasonable prices to those who may be looking. That is definitely a service to some who frequent this site and are looking for equipment, etc.

As for the profit thing, I am also losing an incredible amount on everything that I sell. There is no profit motive here, cause there AIN'T NO PROFIT. Almost everything I sell is sold for far less that I paid for it. Nothing that I list has been bought by me in probably the past 10 years, except for consumables, endmills, drills, etc.

And yes, I do have a motive, and that is to move everything out of the shop, so I can get out from under the $2500 per month that it costs me to stay here. Soon as the big stuff is gone, I can load up the van and move everything else home.

I also think that I benefit others looking to buy by providing quality items at fair prices. Most everything sells for or within 10% of asking. Most items have been going to individuals and not businesses.

That said, I have available a belt grinder that I was going to restore and keep, but have decided that I will not have the room for it. Not sure who made it, but I think a search will reveal the manufacturer. Appears to be a three phase motor with a manual motor starter. I would like to get $250 out of it. DSCN2204.jpgDSCN2205.jpgDSCN2206.jpg

Last edited:
I saw a jet missing the table go at auction for over $1k to an internet buyer with an 18% premium plus 8% sales tax. If it were local, I'd consider replacing my C*man with that one for $250 pending inspection.

Losing money selling that for $250 eh?

Go away.

I suspect I paid more than that for it. Bought it for myself and not to resell or make money with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I am losing money on every single item I sell. A few I may have gotten an outrageous bargain on, but not most. The absolute most I would stand to make on the belt grinder is $250. Consider the wire EDM I have. Paid $15,000, spent $3000 getting it here, $3000 for a factory Sodick guy to make it run. Thousands over the years to repair and maintain. Now looking at spending $1000 to have it hauled away. Net loss
$22k+. Not whining, just making the point that I am not getting rich off of getting rid of this stuff. Just trying to maximize my retirement and attempting not to price anything to keep.

You paid way too much for that if you gave more than $250 for it.

I get there are belt grinders that easily sell for over a grand in used working condition, but that thing is certainly not one of them.

Great if you sell that for $250, but don't feed us some sob story about losing money and needing to make the most for retirement.

Clean the damn thing up, learn how to take decent pictures and give an honest description. Done deal. No need to paint some picture of how the sale of this thing will improve your quality of life.

You paid way too much for that if you gave more than $250 for it.

I get there are belt grinders that easily sell for over a grand in used working condition, but that thing is certainly not one of them.

Great if you sell that for $250, but don't feed us some sob story about losing money and needing to make the most for retirement.

Clean the damn thing up, learn how to take decent pictures and give an honest description. Done deal. No need to paint some picture of how the sale of this thing will improve your quality of life.

There is no reason for you to be such a dick.

I may not be a heavy veteran of this industry like many on here, but I don't think it is very common for someone (anyone) to make money on machinery they bought for work, used for the life expectancy of the machine, and are now selling. You will never get more than what someone is willing to pay for something. If your machinery is old, antiquated, needs A LOT of work, or even worse is specialized then it's weight in scrap value is often what you will get for it. If you have such a large overhead for rent and you just want out then maybe it is time to call an auction company or the scrap man. Holding on to an item in the hopes that you will get 5,000.00 for it for months on end doesn't offset the cost you are basically paying to house that item. Many used equipment dealers seem to have more of an emotional or sentimental attachment to their machines of times long past, a hope that some bloke will show up and pay more than it is worth because of some connection the machine has with old American values. "This machine kept a family fed, housed, clothed, etc" and as such it is worth more money. Well good luck with that! Anyway, good luck, hopefully someone with unlimited Americana funds will show up and save the day. One more thing, the fact that your justification statement for mainly selling on here also happens to include a sales pitch speaks for itself.

Say what you want, but a few of your threads have been locked by management, along with a warning.

And since the lock you started participating again. The thing is I dont care why you are selling. If you participate and sell, great! If you just participate, Great! If you just sell, lock or ban.

One argument might be that a machine has been earning its keep all the while it was in use. So, if this was bought for $600 twenty years ago and used almost everyday in a money making enterprise, it's earned the owner back the $600 spent. That being so, he could afford to give the machine away and not actually lose any money. So anything he gets for the used machine now is just profit - $50 - $250. Whatever, You can't argue actually losing money at this point except for opportunity cost. Some bloke could have paid $500 and you missed that sale.

So in MN that price is not out of line. If the table wasn't broken it would be a $400 to $500 sander. The sander is worth what the market will bare, just like selling parts, you work for what you think it will pay. Stop breaking the guys balls, he paid his dues. If I hadn't just bought a sander, I would probably buy it.
GeorgeM

And since the lock you started participating again. The thing is I dont care why you are selling. If you participate and sell, great! If you just participate, Great! If you just sell, lock or ban.

I don't get that, other than it is a forum rule?? Who cares if he sells more than participates. At least he is selling machine shop items, not like some jaggoff trying to spam computers or garage sale junk, or (pirated) software...

I'm of the opinion people are free to ask as much as they want for something. Just as I'm free to offer as little as I want for something. You find middle ground or move on. All too often people get butt hurt on both ends of it,... it's just business.

5 points.

1. Checked the recent new posts, and either the threads were over 10 years old or I did not have much to contribute. Did respond to one.

2. Price of the belt grinder: That is what I was offered for it by a guy in here to pick up a bunch of stuff. In the end he could not fit it into his car and it was not worth a return trip for just that piece. I respond well to genuine and fair offers.

3. The story on the wire EDM. It is not currently running. Electrical problem and I am working thru it with Sodick but do not have much of an expectation that I can fix it economically enough to sell it. Machine is low hours, incredibly accurate, just had $1000+ of maintenance parts. If some one here would like it cheap, let me know and we can talk.

4. I'm kinda gonna ignore the bashing because I think it is neither deserved nor well thought out. We all have different ideas of what should be done and the worth of things. And I do not think that I am taking advantage of the situation.

5. I have a lot going on in my life. Disposing of the shop, finishing up a new house, friends to spend time with, a wife who I enjoy being with immensely, toys to play with 6BR XP.jpg and cars to drive Mine.jpg. Oh yeah, let's not forget the fish to be caught.

So I don't spend a major portion of my day on the computer. Nuff said.

Last edited:
That sander is worth more in parts than together. If you were near me, I would buy it in a heart beat, just to have some spares. You can't buy parts for those anymore, so . . . . Good luck. Screw the fish- get in the Cobra and drive to the fishing hole!

Back