What's new
What's new

South Bend 13' Lathe FS

Dumpster_diving

Cast Iron
Recently posted my circa 1936 13" South Bend Lathe on Craigslist (Boston area) for $3k but willing to be flexible for Practical Machinist members. Pictures and details here:

Southbend 13" Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

The particulars:
South Bend 13" Lathe
5' bed
Model 136B
Underdrive unit with four cone pulley flat belt transmission Circa 1935 (serial #70,410) 220v 1PH (currently under power) Single tumbler lever quick change gearbox Power cross feed and travel 1" through spindle

Comes with:
8" three jaw chuck
Armstrong lantern tool post
Armstrong #1L left-hand tool holder
Shop-made left/right tool holder
Armstrong knurling tool holder
Universal 3/8" HS tool holder
60* Threading insert (no holder)
Boring bar tool holder and 1" boring bar for HSS bits Threading dial (not currently mounted)
(3) #3 MT Dead centers
(1) #3 MT Half-center
(1) #3 MT to 1/2" socket
Jacobs heavy duty ball bearing 20N 3/8-1" MT3 tailstock super chuck Jacobs 3A 1/8-5/8" MT3 tailstock chuck

That’s what I found when I sold mine, but you never know what someone will pay
Edit: mine had more tooling too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Appreciate and value the feedback. I agree it is listed on the high end currently and that I will likely reduce the price over time.

I’m the meantime I reiterate my earlier comment that I would be willing (and happy) to be flexible on price with any Practical Machinist members. So if any of you locally want to check it out in person first and then make an actual offer, I promise I will not be offended and will consider it with an open mind.

Way over priced but one can always go down but never up...

If not in a hurry then shoppers will see it and the interested folks can twist arms as needed.

Local market may be thin in supply which drives up price but maybe not..

Our local market is limited supply as we sold a 1917 SB 16 x 54 with just 2 chucks back plate and change gears for 600 to first looker for asking price after we picked up a 14.5 SB very well tooled and covered in crud for maybe 250.

Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The good people of Practical Machinist won't have to twist hard at all. I want to find it a loving home and I consider myself in debt to everyone on this forum.

Call it $2,000 for a forum member willing to pick it up.

Price reduction: $1,800 on Craigslist ($1,300 for members of this forum).

Needs a new leather belt (I have a clipper lacer and am happy to assist with installing clipper strips when the time comes so the buyer need only purchase the belt).

Disagree. If I list something and get multiple calls within a few hours, I might pull the ad. Then wait a couple weeks and relist it with a higher price.

metalmagpie

That seems a bit sleazy-someone offers what your are asking, sell it and be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craigslist is a great resource for selling large objects that don't ship well or are better evaluated in-person. But as a buyer or a seller it can be annoying enough with the massive number of scammers and tire-kickers and folks making appointments to look then never showing up (and not showing the good grace to call and cancel in advance).

For what it's worth, my personal philosophy is to do my best to reduce the drama. If a legitimate buyer makes a legitimate offer at the asking price (and is willing to consummate the sale in some reasonable period of time)...I'm not about to withdraw and return asking for more.

So at least with respect to this particular listing, the price may very well go down from asking...but it 'aint going up. At least not if there's a legitimate offer at the asking price on the table. Now if no-one bites and I withdraw the listing and decide in 6 months I want to have a go at selling again...maybe then I might start fresh with a new price (higher or lower). But I'm not withdrawing it from a willing buyer with cash-in-hand willing to meet my price.

The world needs less drama. The internet needs more people willing to transact electronically as if they were staring each other in the eye.

Paint looks like crap..and that is a good thing.. it might be a very good condition machine..so starting at $1800 an ok ask
Yes the bed need be near perfect and likely not.

around Detroit i have seen 600 to about 2.000 for that vintage lately.
and wreaks for scrap.
.... but with not a 4jaw and a steady it might get bid down a bit.

I'm not interested - am happy with a lathe I bought last fall.

But just FYI: the CL link at the top of your thread doesn't work; you'll need to repost a link if that is what you where using to provide photos here. Good luck!

Back