What's new
What's new

South Bend Heavy ten for sale - like new condition, near Los Angeles

WayneTaylor

Plastic
I own a heavy 10 that I bought at an estate sale in 2010. My intent was to get into machining but life got in the way and I never really got into it. I probably put 50 hours on the machine after buying it.

The lathe was purchased new in 1987 by a retired machinist. He passed away in 2010. He had a fully equipped home shop with more machinery than I can describe (Bridgeport mill, several south bend lathes, and much more), but his hobbies never really took off, so his stuff was all like new.

The lathe is in like new condition. It has all the accessories, plus a LOT of tooling.

I ordered the original invoice from southbend, it shows the original buyer's name and date of shipping to the dealer.

I want to get a fair price for the lathe and all accessories. I think it is worth $10,000 (that is what I paid for it), but I am willing to accept reasonable offers.

The lathe is located in Ridgecrest, Ca (about 160 miles NE of LA).

I have lots of pictures but I don't know how to upload them.

You can call me at 775 813 5623.

Wayne Taylor

PS, I am not really a new member of the forum, I just lost my username/password from years ago and could not recover them, so I created a new account.

Last edited:
I own a heavy 10 that I bought at an estate sale in 2010. My intent was to get into machining but life got in the way and I never really got into it. I probably put 50 hours on the machine after buying it.

The lathe was purchased new in 1987 by a retired machinist. He passed away in 2010. bbhad a fully equipped home shop with more machinery than I can describe (Bridgeport mill, several south bend lathes, and much more), but his hobbies never really took off, so his stuff was all like new.

The lathe is in like new condition. It has all the accessories, plus a LOT of tooling.

I ordered the original invoice from southbend, it shows the original buyer's name and date of shipping to the dealer.

I want to get a fair price for the lathe and all accessories. I think it is worth $10,000 (that is what I paid for it), but I am willing to accept reasonable offers.

The lathe is located in Ridgecrest, Ca (about 160 miles NE of LA).

I have lots of pictures but I don't know how to upload them.

You can call me at 775 813 5623.

Wayne Taylor

PS, I am not really a new member of the forum, I just lost my username/password from years ago and could not recover them, so I created a new account.

10,000.00 for a S B? Good luck with that!

Agree it is well worth $10K but I passed an unused latest US made machine for $5K a year and a half ago. Yes it had metric and all..
Really thought about buying it but I'm short on space.
Still good luck it is a nice machine and some people might be willing to pay.

With taper attachment. 3 and 4 jaw, collet set and draw, metric gear, steady and some tooling you might try $5k..likely to get some to come look..It is a better machine than a new green machine that costs perhaps $7 or $8K IMHO

What, did you pay $10K?

With taper attachment. 3 and 4 jaw, collet set and draw, metric gear, steady and some tooling you might try $5k..likely to get some to come look..It is a better machine than a new green machine that costs perhaps $7 or $8K IMHO

What, did you pat $10K?

It has everything you mention, and more, except metric gearing. The three and four jaw chucks, both south bend, look unused to me. The original owner wanted to do gun smithing, so there are dozens of reamers with it, all new.

Here is a picture of the lathe. Some of the accessories are in the foreground. It also comes with a Kennedy toolbox loaded with tooling.

Attachments

• IMG_20180822_093137269.jpg
    IMG_20180822_093137269.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 431
You are going to need LOTS more pics and close ups of EVERYTHING if you expect to generate much interest at that price....which I am not saying is out of line but is a hard case to make without support.

I suggest 3rd party hosting with a link posted here.

You are going to need LOTS more pics and close ups of EVERYTHING if you expect to generate much interest at that price....which I am not saying is out of line but is a hard case to make without support.

I suggest 3rd party hosting with a link posted here.

You could get a really good condition Mori Seiki lathe for $10K (and I've seen them for less) which is 10x, no make that 100x the lathe the SB was even when new.

Even fully tooled it's worth $2-3k tops.

Back