What's new
What's new

Superior Honing Machine Model AL

VintageRacerRoy

Plastic
Manufacturing type horizontal honing machine by Superior. Accepts Sunnen mandrels (none of which are included). Required power is three phase. An extension has been fabricated and added to the tray for using longer mandrels. Machine has been used on occasion for the past several years for engine work. I would rather local pickup, but will work with buyer at their cost to ship. $650 OBO, email [email protected] for more info.20190601_195909.jpg20190601_195855.jpg20190601_195845.jpg

Why would you post this comment? And why would you imply that Sunnen is a better alternative?
Bob

I think it is one of those name recognition instances. If you say hone I would say Sunnen and I have never ran a hone and of the 8 shops I worked in only one did honing and rarely.

Why would you post this comment? And why would you imply that Sunnen is a better alternative?
Because he doesn't know any better and some people just have to run off at the mouth ?

I had a Superior ... I guess this one has an adapter for using Sunnen mandrels but the Superior ones were slightly different. Sunnen uses one stone opposite a shoe or two, Superior uses two stones opposite each other. The stones in a Superior are larger. The mandrels are a lot cheaper ($30 vs $300). The advantage is if you hone a lot of parts with interruptions, such as internal splines or parts with keyways. Sunnen doesn't like that, Superior doesn't care. The disadvantage is, because of the larger surface area, they grab a lot easier. That only matters if you hold the parts by hand ... blood in the dark coolant looks pretty :) The other drawback might be, Superior hasn't been around for a long time, so possibly the stones and mandrels are harder to find now ?

They are a nice hone. Not better or worse than Sunnen, just different. $500 seems very reasonable to me. I think I paid more than twice that, thirty years ago.

Tennesee Abrasives originally made Superior's tooling, and they still make all the stones and mandrels. They took over supporting the machines and still sell some of them.

Sunnen has more tooling available and a larger selection of abrasive. The Sunnen can hone larger and smaller holes. They are a stable company that has been in business for over 80 years still under the same ownership. You can call them with a honing question and talk to a knowledgeable technician for free.

Those are the reasons I feel it is a better alternative.

Bob

Sunnen has more tooling available and a larger selection of abrasive. The Sunnen can hone larger and smaller holes. They are a stable company that has been in business for over 80 years still under the same ownership. You can call them with a honing question and talk to a knowledgeable technician for free.

I probably should have worded it differently buy those are the reasons I feel it is a better alternative. I hope I didn't offend anybody.

Much better, gave reasons. Your original statement made you sound like one of the old farts that call me when I sell a wells index or three. "I wouldn't have nuffin but a bridgeport" ummm, then why are you calling?

Much better, gave reasons. Your original statement made you sound like one of the old farts that call me when I sell a wells index or three. "I wouldn't have nuffin but a bridgeport" ummm, then why are you calling?

Hey I'm a old fart but a good old fart LOL

I probably should have worded it differently buy those are the reasons I feel it is a better alternative. I hope I didn't offend anybody.

"better alternative" ?

At what cost ?

Stable company ? Who cares ?

OP's machine is clean, and a good price.

I have been using Sunnen mandrels in this machine since I have owned it. It operates no differently than a Sunnen machine.

Price Reduced $400 OBO

I actually operated an older version of this machine, that used Sunnen mandrels, it worked pretty good. There is not alot to go wrong with this type of hone.Another one that used Sunnen mandrels was Delapena, they also made their own mandrels that were high quality, and using Sunnen stones.
The Century hone was one that used its own tooling, I could make them work, but Sunnen was better.

Back