7.5HP
Coolant pump
QPM coolant nozzles @ spindle
Axis travels: X=22.04" Y=16.14" Z=16.14"
Spindle BT40
Magazine capacity 24 tools
Width 67"
Depth 96"
Height 104" (Z servo could be removed to get under 8' door)
Weight 9000 lbs
Under power
All available Fanuc and Takisawa manuals
Runs on phase converter
Extra, complete set of boards for Fanuc control, unlikely you'd ever need them.

Good working condition, making parts in my shop. This is a great small footprint machine with a 10K RPM spindle. It is integrated with a 2006 8" programmable Yuasa UDX 220 4th axis/indexer.

Recent maintenance includes upgrade LCD screen, toolchanger upgraded with a modern encoder, toolchanger completely cleaned and adjusted, a new control power supply, annual oil changes in the Yuasa 4th, regularly greased ways with premium Kyoda-Yushi grease.

This mill includes 40 nice toolholders and pullstuds purchased from Maritool in the last couple years. The Yuasa 4th axis includes a spare controller. If you are starting out I may have a Kurt vise and workholding that could go with as well.

Willing to help get you setup and running making parts on this machine and answer questions after the sale.

$7000 no 4th
$8500 w/4th

Rigging/shipping not included. Delivery within 100 miles available at a very reduced rate. Forklift rental just down the street if we need to load your truck or trailer.

Attachments

• tak1.jpg
    tak1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 276
  • tak2.jpg
    tak2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 209
  • tak3.jpg
    tak3.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Only issue is one toolpot is missing, these are available on ebay I just never needed it so forgot it was missing. The tool magazine encoder was a big deal. That part is failure prone, usually what kills these Takisawa mills. I took the time to reverse engineer the old encoder and source a new, modern equivalent. That should keep this running for a long time.

Oh, this machine does not rigid tap as the spindle is belt driven and the encoder for the spindle is on the motor. It will tap fine with the included tension-compression tap holders. It threadmills like a champ though, that's how I have made most threads in this machine.

The spindle is quiet and smooth, Z axis is whisper quiet, X and Y have a little noise from thrust bearings, but not enough to bother me to replace them.

Includes the special grease gun and Kyodo-Yushi way grease.

Attachments

• tak4.jpg
    tak4.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 96
  • tak5.jpg
    tak5.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 103
  • tak6.jpg
    tak6.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 99
This think is adorable and looks like a hell of a lot of machine for the $$. Good luck with sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I intended to use this for quite a few more years, but looks like an HMC is happening instead.

Pictures when I went through the entire toolchanger top to bottom. The white plastic toolchain guides were all warped because they expanded a bunch over time. I clamped the strips in a fixture and baked them to set them straight again then I re-machined them to fit correctly so the toolchain could be properly tensioned and work smoothly.

Attachments

• Takisawa tool mag front.jpg
    Takisawa tool mag front.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Takisawa rear tool mag adjustment.jpg
    Takisawa rear tool mag adjustment.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 126
That is an interesting tool changer. What are the rapids?

I think 472 is the rapid. The Tak book just says 472 feedrate, but I don't think a 10M can feed that fast with typical pitch ballscrews. I would estimate max feedrate is probably 160 or 170 based on other machines with a 10M, but I don't know. It's not as fast as late 90's and newer stuff, but it's not slow either.

Toolchanger is kind of hybrid between an umbrella and an arm. I had a Mitsubishi MV-40 awhile ago of the same vintage that was very similar in design to this Tak. However, the Mits used some real complex barrel cam driven prox switches and electric motors, it never worked right for long. This Tak toolchanger has worked great since I updated the encoder. It's faster than I thought it would be too. Toolchanges are pretty quick for a changer without a double arm.

One thing I really like about this toolchanger is you can throw your tool call and M6 in the program anywhere and it orients the tool and opens the door while it rapids to Y0.Z toolchange pos. They definitely put some thought into speeding it up as quick as they could.

I've had some inquiries about moving this mill under a 7 foot garage door. I took a close look at what that might entail and to my surprise, I think it could be done easily.

So If somebody needs a killer garage machine this could be it.

Didn’t realize they were such a commodity!

Yes, lemme check my junk folder tomorrow AM and I’ll get that squared up if’n it’s there.

Do you guys think I'm unrealistic in price or the combination of right after Christmas and this is an old machine makes for less interest?

I spent $4000 on this machine with a non-functional toolchanger, Spent some time and a few hundred bucks fixing the toolchanger, invested about $4000 in new pullstuds and toolholders and integrated the indexer. I thought $8500 for a turnkey, tooled 10K RPM 3+1 axis mill from a decent MTB would be a reasonable deal and move pretty quick.

I only have a couple weeks to get this mill out of my shop otherwise it's going to stay. I could sell just the bare machine for a lot less than my asking price to move it, but It doesn't make any business sense to give away a nice working tight 4th that I know is good and a bunch of new toolholders.

I guess I'm just surprised that there's only been 3 home shop guys interested and no followthrough.

I don't think you are necessarily out to lunch. I think it's just hard to sell old machines. There's a lot of cheap light crappy machines out there for hobby guys to buy now. Doosan and Mazak have dipped their toe in the budget mill Haas market, so I feel like commercial shops are less likely to mess with old machines.

I constantly scour facebook/craigslist for machines and it's not uncommon to see something like this sit listed for several months.

Last edited:
If i was closer, Id be on the way this afternoon with truck and trailer. This machine would go real nice with my Tak TC2 lathe that has the same paint scheme.

But with the new baby, momma won't let me make a 4-5 day cross country trip while she and the baby are home alone.

Trying to find a 4 axis machine in good working order under 10k is a tough thing to do lately. I'm on craigslist and marketplace and ebay daily, so Ive got a decent idea of what is available around here.

I think it will sell for what you're asking. Shipping costs make it prohibitive for my budget.

You know your business better than anyone, but me personally I wouldn't sell a good running machine because the Makino is coming if you can make space for it. I'm a bit of an over preparer but I like having extra capacity. If a machine breaks, you have another spindle. If you get swamped, you have another spindle. If you have a hot short run job come in, you don't have to wait or break down a set up. Up to you obviously, but that machine saving your ass even a couple times a year is worth more than your asking price.

You know your business better than anyone, but me personally I wouldn't sell a good running machine because the Makino is coming if you can make space for it. I'm a bit of an over preparer but I like having extra capacity. If a machine breaks, you have another spindle. If you get swamped, you have another spindle. If you have a hot short run job come in, you don't have to wait or break down a set up. Up to you obviously, but that machine saving your ass even a couple times a year is worth more than your asking price.

Very true.

Like AJ H said, I think the value of an old machine is higher to the owner of it. Like cars, you know every creak, pop and whistle, and probably know how to fix 90% of what may go wrong with it for the next ten years. If I were a small shop and it wasn't slowing down my business to keep it, I probably would, but I'm a bit of a hoarder with stuff like that.

To your original question, I think your price reflects decent value for the machine. That said, the target buyers you indicated - small, start up, garage shops, aren't usually looking forward enough to see the value of a 4th (that's already integrated and up and running), let alone pay for it. If they're looking at that type of machine (old control), they're looking at something to learn on and pray that they don't crash it. But half of that market is going to go buy a Haas on a note anyway, because the "gotta have new". I've bought similar machines, but the with the risk of older machines, I'm looking to take a risk on them for pennies. I'm usually looking for the deals where someone just wants if off their floor, and its easier to take my low-ball cash in hand price then for them to have to deal with another call to get a scrap man to come and get it...

That said, I'm probably a poor data point.

The old Takisawa's are nice machines, and the old fanuc controls are solid. I see plenty of worse crap out there with Centroid or milltronic or other orphaned controls...

Have you done any 3d surfacing on the machine? Drip fed any larger programs?

I have not. I use the rotary to make organically shaped parts. Parts like this done on this mill in 5 or more positions. 30 minute part from 4x6x8" of 6061.

I only know enough about CAD/CAM to do what I need to do. Probably sounds nuts, but those parts are entirely done off of one 2D sketch in 15 year old Mastercam.

If you were genuinely interested in this machine send some code and I'll take a video of it running on there. Turn up the feedrate until it chokes.

Attachments

• type 3 mounts.jpg
    type 3 mounts.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 88

Back