What's new
What's new

TEXAS: FS Craftsman 150 Drill Press Floor Model PROJECT

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
I never got around to restoring this DP, and already have 3 in Nv shop, so this one is up for sale. Craftsman 150 floor model drill press, spindle spins freely, no crunchiness, quill moves up/down old grease is gummy needs cleaning and new grease. Chuck opens/closes, no key. Motor spins freely, no crunchiness, needs a power cord. Table moves up/down (manually) column needs cleaning. Table has minimal arc of shame, a few divots, none go thru table. Base is CRACKED and needs to be brazed or welded.

Asking $150 picked up at my San Marcos Tx shop. If interested send me a PM and I will send you a ph#

Thank you.
Kristin

Attachments

• cdp150 1.jpg
    cdp150 1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 729
  • cdp150 2.jpg
    cdp150 2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 941
  • cdp150 3.jpg
    cdp150 3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 339
  • cdp150 4.jpg
    cdp150 4.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 262
What planet am I on? Broken cheapo drill press for $150? OMG. Fix the base. Put on a power cord and find a chuck key. Then it might be worth that.

Do I have to explain the difference between an "asking" price vs a "firm" price? Like so many things in this world, pricing depends on location, and vintage quality equipment is scarce in Tx. I gave a clear, concise description of the condition, should I have been like so many others and said excellent and ready to work? Cheapest floor model DP from HF is $279.99, maybe they will be on sale this weekend at %50 off, if you don't mind the .050 runout in the spindle, and a column made from muffler tubing. Cleaned up, ready to go, in this market, I can get well over $150 for it, did I mention I'm retiring?

PS: I can shove it into the scrap pile and get $60 for it, and it will be melted into rebar in about 48 hours. Silly me, I should quit being sentimental over old American iron.

Do I have to explain the difference between an "asking" price vs a "firm" price? Like so many things in this world, pricing depends on location, and vintage quality equipment is scarce in Tx. I gave a clear, concise description of the condition, should I have been like so many others and said excellent and ready to work? Cheapest floor model DP from HF is $279.99, maybe they will be on sale this weekend at %50 off, if you don't mind the .050 runout in the spindle, and a column made from muffler tubing. Cleaned up, ready to go, in this market, I can get well over $150 for it, did I mention I'm retiring?

PS: I can shove it into the scrap pile and get $60 for it, and it will be melted into rebar in about 48 hours. Silly me, I should quit being sentimental over old American iron.

It's actually not a bad drill press. My grandfather left me the same one in a bench top version. He was a wood worker and had the square hole setup on it. he bought it in the early 50's and it is still nice and tight without one mark on the table. I have been using it daily since '84 it's still in great shape. That said I know it is a bit light compared to my Wilton Strands so I don't beat on it.

I'm not interested as they are too far but just wanted to say that I really appreciate the "art deco" era of tool design. They have so much more style than anything built since.

JMHO

-Ron

Definitely a neat look! Somehow at first glance, my mind envisioned it mimicking a boat motor from perhaps the 1950s.

With that styling, it would look pretty cool beside my Pacemaker as well, but I'm also too far away. Even if were right in my backyard though, I've no room in the shop nor time for more projects. Good luck!

For a light duty drill press that one beats anything made today. I like how the table goes all the way down to the base- that's nice for tall work. The drill presses today all have 2' tall collars on the bases and the tables only go halfway down.

If that was closer to me I'd have grabbed it.

Definitely a neat look! Somehow at first glance, my mind envisioned it mimicking a boat motor from perhaps the 1950s.

With that styling, it would look pretty cool beside my Pacemaker as well, but I'm also too far away. Even if were right in my backyard though, I've no room in the shop nor time for more projects. Good luck!

Thread hack warning; styling might compliment your Pacemaker, yet light years between what they represent.
Mine has DeVlieg, an early P&W Jig Bore, early Hole Wizard, 2D K&T, 1B Milwaukee, 24" Cincy universal shaper and other friends...only the DeVlieg has equivalent hardcore engineering. 2D probably next in line.
But I'm NOT retiring, 45+ years and just getting started!

150 will not buy much these days, I'd give that for it. I've got a very similar model craftsman that's been through a fire and refurbished, somewhat. I wouldn't sell mine for 150 and it's arguably not as nice.

Back