What's new
What's new

Are these machines worth it?Sunnen,Rottler,Sioux tools,need advice.

Thegalos

Plastic
Hi guys,
Completed a job of clearing out a shop yard and these machines were to be disposed of and im wondering if they are worth my time and money.
*Sunnen precision honing machine LBB 1699.
With cabinet and accs.Honing tips, etc
Motor engages and hone spins.
*Sunnen rod and cap grinder CRG 750.
Motor engages and spins.
*Sunnen 10 ton press BP 10.
Motor engages and piston moves.
*Sioux tools valve grinder w cabinet.
Motor engages and spins.
*Rottler Boring bar DA 01 (portable).with base missing centering fingers and lowering handle
Motor engages and with clutch bar spins.
*Snap on tire changer.
Turns and claws retract.
* Eagle equipment balancer .
Spins and digital display works.
*Baldor grinder XL
Its 3 phase so i couldnt test.
Need your advice if these machines are actually worth me keeping for possible resale and if they are missing parts do you think i could find them?
I thought it would be a shame to take them to a recycling dump so i kept them.
So its really simple im paying 300$ month for storage ive seen a few on ebay they seem to be worth something.
What could possibly be wrong with them since they were left behind..any advice helps thanks.P_20210621_162759.jpgP_20210621_161223.jpgP_20210621_162658.jpgP_20210621_150750.jpgP_20210621_162746.jpg

Last edited:
We have several old Sunnen honing machines(a different model though), that some of the parts are no longer stocked for. Sunnen was really helpful, and gave us a drawing of the part that we needed, so we made it ourselves. IMO sunnen makes solid products, and i'm sure that they are worth something to someone. Even if just used for spare parts.

Hi guys,
Completed a job of clearing out a shop yard and these machines were to be disposed of and im wondering if they are worth my time and money.

I'm wondering how much rust has accumulated on this stuff "out in the yard".
And remember, they were moved "out in the yard" because they were no longer needed/worn out/broken.

Well, long and short of it as this seems like another "What can I sell this for, who can I sell this to" type of post (nothing wrong with that at all, information is free after all). Those are all useable machine if they are in good enough condition. The only problem is there are not that many engine rebuilders out there anymore, and the ones that are out there are mom/pop type shops that are full off with equipment (in my experience at least). Some of the tooling can be worth something if it is complete (which is not always the story). As I am guessing you just want to know if this is worth anything, as you mentioned you saw some on ebay. Well, there may be A LITTLE money there but you would need just the right buyer to buy the machines of a near dead trade that most have no interest in, there are of course the bottom feeders on Ebay demanding exorbitant prices for the dogsh*t they have listed and you, by all means, can add to the cesspool. I know several shops in the Southern California area that do engine rebuilding, there are a few that use these models and years of equipment. However, the shops that use "vintage" equipment like this are usually not in the market to buy anything and are, if anything, looking to get rid of stuff as the owners are near retirement. I will ask around since you are co-located in the area, chances are some of the shops that I know will already be well equipped with this type of machinery. It is a shame as I used to love to do engine rebuilding work, but there are a lot of fields and lots in the Southern California area with stuff just like this for a reason. No one wants to do the work anymore, the automotive industry outgrew engine rebuilding thorough improvements in metallurgy and advancements is engineering and advanced processes. Good luck with selling the stuff, but remember there are not a lot of shops out there looking for old stuff like this so price it accordingly, pay to store it for eternity, or pay to move it to scrap and get pennies.

Well, long and short of it as this seems like another "What can I sell this for, who can I sell this to" type of post (nothing wrong with that at all, information is free after all). Those are all useable machine if they are in good enough condition. The only problem is there are not that many engine rebuilders out there anymore, and the ones that are out there are mom/pop type shops that are full off with equipment (in my experience at least). Some of the tooling can be worth something if it is complete (which is not always the story). As I am guessing you just want to know if this is worth anything, as you mentioned you saw some on ebay. Well, there may be A LITTLE money there but you would need just the right buyer to buy the machines of a near dead trade that most have no interest in, there are of course the bottom feeders on Ebay demanding exorbitant prices for the dogsh*t they have listed and you, by all means, can add to the cesspool. I know several shops in the Southern California area that do engine rebuilding, there are a few that use these models and years of equipment. However, the shops that use "vintage" equipment like this are usually not in the market to buy anything and are, if anything, looking to get rid of stuff as the owners are near retirement. I will ask around since you are co-located in the area, chances are some of the shops that I know will already be well equipped with this type of machinery. It is a shame as I used to love to do engine rebuilding work, but there are a lot of fields and lots in the Southern California area with stuff just like this for a reason. No one wants to do the work anymore, the automotive industry outgrew engine rebuilding thorough improvements in metallurgy and advancements is engineering and advanced processes. Good luck with selling the stuff, but remember there are not a lot of shops out there looking for old stuff like this so price it accordingly, pay to store it for eternity, or pay to move it to scrap and get pennies.

So you want it all, but are working hard to talk yerself OUT of it..... right?

Pity you ain't on the opposite coast, then.

"If only it were closer..."

:D

If you could fit them all on a skid and load it on a truck i would be be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had the room for it it would be a different story as I have had several of the local guys in the area ask me to teach them engine rebuilding (I open my shop on the weekends to local girls and guys that want to learn welding/machining/engineering/designing/automotive/motorsports/yadda yadda yadda)pretty much a bring a bagged lunch,wear boots, pick up basketball style of "HiGHeR LeArNiNg". It's a long story.

Secondly, please DON'T say things like "take it all", broadcasting that notion out there into the ether. Even the concept of more project machines showing up at my shop, and my wife will appear like some kind on Special Operations ultimate ninja warrior and appear behind me as if this were some horror story and she WILL CUT ME! These machines are only a hour away from me, in what my wife calls "striking distance" because if they show up she will strike me.

In all seriousness, @Thegalos, I am only up in Temecula. If you really need help with this stuff and it meant avoiding going to the scrap yard. Get ahold of me and I will do everything I can. If you are just in it for the profit than selling and shipping is going to be a learning lesson that is often learned in blood and stress on your end. You may make a few bucks out of it, but for how much time you are going to put into the sale, palletizing, shipping, etc it really rarely pays out much. Let me know what I can do to help.

So you want it all, but are working hard to talk yerself OUT of it..... right?

Pity you ain't on the opposite coast, then.

"If only it were closer..."

:D

Well the portable boring bar unless it has ALL of it's tooling is worth very little ,they do make a good floor lamp bases however.
As said to rebuild modern engines it takes much more advanced/specialized equipment than these. This is 50s-70s tech at the latest.

The hone, press and cap grinder are certainly valuable. Not that hard to determine value with a little effort. The all look to be in fair condition and would clean up quite well. Might be slightly older "tech" per the above comment, but that exact hone is used daily in our shop to finish hone gear bores.

If I had the room for it it would be a different story as I have had several of the local guys in the area ask me to teach them engine rebuilding (I open my shop on the weekends to local girls and guys that want to learn welding/machining/engineering/designing/automotive/motorsports/yadda yadda yadda)pretty much a bring a bagged lunch,wear boots, pick up basketball style of "HiGHeR LeArNiNg". It's a long story.

Secondly, please DON'T say things like "take it all", broadcasting that notion out there into the ether. Even the concept of more project machines showing up at my shop, and my wife will appear like some kind on Special Operations ultimate ninja warrior and appear behind me as if this were some horror story and she WILL CUT ME! These machines are only a hour away from me, in what my wife calls "striking distance" because if they show up she will strike me.

In all seriousness, @Thegalos, I am only up in Temecula. If you really need help with this stuff and it meant avoiding going to the scrap yard. Get ahold of me and I will do everything I can. If you are just in it for the profit than selling and shipping is going to be a learning lesson that is often learned in blood and stress on your end. You may make a few bucks out of it, but for how much time you are going to put into the sale, palletizing, shipping, etc it really rarely pays out much. Let me know what I can do to help.

Thank you for you input and willingness to help i will definitely get in touch with you in order to avoid dumping these awesome machines.

The hone, press and cap grinder are certainly valuable. Not that hard to determine value with a little effort. The all look to be in fair condition and would clean up quite well. Might be slightly older "tech" per the above comment, but that exact hone is used daily in our shop to finish hone gear bores.

This is what i needed to know great advice!

Out of all the Sunnen equipment the CRG750 cap grinder has the most value. It is no longer made and is draws a good dollar on the used market.

The BP10 press is also out of production. That press is of the second generation and is was a good unit although repair parts for the pump could be a issue if needed.

The LBB1699 hone is a solid unit but it's market is the engine rebuilding field because of the low top speed of 600 RPM. Industrial applications require speeds up to 2500 RPM.

The press being second generation dates the equipment to the early mid 70s assuming it was purchased at the same time.

Out of all the Sunnen equipment the CRG750 cap grinder has the most value. It is no longer made and is draws a good dollar on the used market.

The BP10 press is also out of production. That press is of the second generation and is was a good unit although repair parts for the pump could be a issue if needed.

The LBB1699 hone is a solid unit but it's market is the engine rebuilding field because of the low top speed of 600 RPM. Industrial applications require speeds up to 2500 RPM.

The press being second generation dates the equipment to the early mid 70s assuming it was purchased at the same time.

Great info thanks.

The hone needs some TLC but I notice it has a Sunnen bore gage on it. Those can get a good buck, but they may not like outdoor storage. Honing tooling is easy to sell if it's not worn out. Much of the used tooling on eBay is worn to near end of life and not worth much.

Back