What's new
What's new

TWO Sheldon Lathes, $960, Detroit MI

ScubaSteve

Cast Iron
Hi all-

Just putting the feelers out for any interest. I recently got a pretty big score on ebay....2 Sheldon 10" lathes, one FULLY tooled up, one basically equipped for $960.

The lathes look to be in good condition....my plan was to keep the fully tooled lathe and swap parts as needed from the other. Then, sell the second for a reasonable price. It looks like right now, the logistics of this deal might not happen. Wife is pissed off, and it will be a 5 hour drive for me one way. Renting a truck, etc. may not be worth it for me.

Here's the auction: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Let me know if you would be interested via PM, or contact me at [email protected] and we can work something out with the seller. :cheers:

Wife is pissed off, and it will be a 5 hour drive for me one way. Renting a truck, etc. may not be worth it for me.

Oh, man. An unauthorized purchase. That sucks. 5 hours to collect machine tools is nothin'. Some guys drive that far just to LOOK at a tool (and go home with nothing). Plus, those lathes are featherweights. As far as buying/selling/moving machinery, that situation sounds like a piece of cake. The biggest obstacle would be the angry wife!

I almost bid on those until I found a heavy ten down the street for a bit less. Good luck, out of curiosity what was your maximum price if you don't mind me asking?

I was prepared to pay $1200 but didn't think I'd actually win the auction. I should have worked out these logistics BEFORE bidding, but I figured there would be a way to work it out. Bridgeman Machinery is a good group of guys...we worked things out and found a way to make everyone happy! I'll definitely be looking to do business with them again :cheers:

I almost bid on those until I found a heavy ten down the street for a bit less. Good luck, out of curiosity what was your maximum price if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds like a nice score...SB and Heavy 10's in particular carry a hefty pricetag. I went with these Sheldons because I think they are a better built lathe. A lot of the design is similar to SB, but they made heavier castings in the critical areas and also used roller bearings which is a plus in my book.

I've forwarded this link via email to a coworker that MIGHT be interested. He will not be at work to look at it until tuesday, however. Just letting you know. He is looking for a lathe, and lives about 30 40 min north of Detroit.

Sorry, should have been more clear, I worked things out with the seller and will be keeping them. That being said, I will be selling one either whole or for parts once I figure everything out. Thanks to all those who offered to help :)

Back