What's new
What's new

Universal Tool Grinder - Jackmill J40 - Needs a loving home or scrap yard

bonestock

Aluminum
I have a jackmill j40 that I'd like at least scrap value for. I do have a little bit of add-on tooling such as centers, tool holders, etc, in boxes I plan to list on ebay or keep perhaps one day when I get a working tool grinder. If interested we can make a deal on the parts and tooling.

$150 for the machine
$OBO tooling - I'll get more photos if there is interest.

Machine located in Suwanee GA 30024. I can load by forklift.
contact [email protected]

Sorry google photos does not cleanly insert into the post -- had to use links.

photo 1
photo 2
photo 3
photo 4
photo 5
photo 6

Id sure like to see some photos of the tooling and what taper is the tool holding head? It looks like the motor has gotten broken off, do you still have the motor? coolant reservoir broken also? Thanks Tim

Id sure like to see some photos of the tooling and what taper is the tool holding head? It looks like the motor has gotten broken off, do you still have the motor? coolant reservoir broken also? Thanks Tim

I'll get some photos of the tooling then. It won't be until Saturday or Sunday though.

Wow ..Great deal for someone close...

It certainly needs work. The machine came as part of a package I bought from a neighbor that was moving.

I thought about keeping it but don't know much about tool grinding and cannot really find any documentation or parts diagrams for this one. I have a few too many projects as-is.

Guys ..The work head alone is worth the asking price..It can sharpen drills.. do end mill ends, easy as pie..males a good gut off.. can sharpen lathe tool bits..Don't let it go to scrap

Buck

Too true. I looked it up. Good 'un. Very. Price is a subsidized GIFT!

I don't even have space left on the carport, though. Nor the ability to handle travel over a mile or so just yet.

Chairman, and Master Merchant of a successful retailer I worked under once directed me to "Raise the price until it sells" on some oddball item.

I said "You mean LOWER the price until it sells?"

"You heard me. RAISE the price!"

Sure enough. Second go, one of perhaps the only two people on Earth that wanted it panicked.

"Dammit! I could have had that for.. " and paid the higher price before it went higher yet!

He knew his merchandising. And his 75-foot Hattarass.

Put it under a tarp for that price. You can put a 110 motor on the back porch of that machine and make $200/400 in one day just doing end mill ends or drills.
Yes you would need a work holder device..even a 3jaw chuck would do ok.

Wow it even has centers...the centers are worth another 100 bucks.

About $400 dollars from Detroit(round trip) ..almost worth the drive..but I am booked on time...

With that machine I could go to my old customer..waling distance and get $200 or more worth of work and have it sharp and back to him the same day..go figure.. if I was looking for work...my old clunker Cinci made $1100 the first week-end I owned it and that was many years ago.

Yes I have similar machines so don't need that one..and I am not looking for work..I have cut back to just one customer and he cuts into my fishing and hunting time. Mostly just use one machine a Cinci #2 an old chain drive ways..mill, lathes, saws, chop, couple drill presses, and other grinder just collecting dust.

Put it under a tarp for that price. You can put a 110 motor on the back porch of that machine

A travesty, Sir! I have spare Reliance RPM III's with tachogenerators that'll regulate to a gnat's nuts. Triple-redundant 3-P as well.

:)

But I don't hardly even MAKE chips. Nor sell anything these days. "Mailbox-money" age, never had kids, pay-as-you-go University, no debt, and no need.

Jest hate to see still useful old stuff scrapped 'coz I might be NEXT!

:(

Thanks for the follow up ..I am glad it found a home.
Hand spin the spindle a number of times before first start ....and jog start every start when it is cold...
Would add a 3/4 or 1 hp reversable motor..belt to one end..shoot for 3400 RPM..That is slow for diamond wheel but will work OK with a little more wheel wear than at 5000 or so.You could use a two speed bench grinder motor but would not have reverse and reverse is important to have...
Buck

Back