What's new
What's new

Used Logan metal lathe on Craigslist

ScienceofSpeed

Plastic
I am trying to purchase a used metal lathe locally and i found an amazing 10X48 Atlas lathe that i had my heart set on but already found out it might be spoken for. So there is two other local ads on craigslist one for a Logan bench top lathe and a Southbend benchtop lathe. Here is the two ads:
REDUCED/lathe/plow/jack for sale - tools - by owner - sale
and
South Bend metal lathe - tools - by owner - sale

Which of the two seems like a better deal at first impression? I talked to the guy who has the Logan and he doesn't know anything about it at all and seems like absolutley NO help, and doesn't even know what it comes with so that has me very iffy.

Can someone help tell me what all that Logan lathe in the CL ad should come with and what accessories i would be looking for when i go check it out. Or atleast a link to info about this Logan lathe. Does the Logan, above, have quick change gears? I like the Logan lathe though, it looks very solid and well built. I just need to know if it has all the parts to do all the lathe jobs, but the owner can't tell me a thing...

Just for reference this is the Atlas lathe that i had my eyes on and would fit the bill perfectly, but it is most likely already spoken for: Lathe Atlas metal turning - tools - by owner - sale

That 10X48 atlas on craigslist is a beauty. My budget is right around $1500, and i don't want a grizzly mini lathe unless someone convinces me that they are any good.

I know how to operate a metal Lathe, I am just a little rusty because i went to community college for lathe work a couple years ago, and i will be going back for lathe work soon as well. I just want something reasonable and accurate enough to turn small go kart parts, small motorcycle parts, just any custom part i need to turn my own dimensions in. I do a lot of metal fabrication and TIG welding in my two car garage/shop, where i have about every metal working tool imaginable except a engine lathe, ironworker, press brake, and milling machine. I think any bench top Atlas with all the proper tooling (so I am not having to source everything) would be perfect for me. If anybody has any leads on any good benchtop lathe machines, please post them here. I am trying to find one soon as i am gifting myself this lathe as a birthday present to myself. Until then i am researching this forum and asking questions. I love metal and i love machining and i am trying to find a reasonable way to get into home machining. Thank you for your time.

The Logan needs change gears and a half nut so is a good brand if in good condition but this one needing more spending.
Th SB in need of reconditioning..to what extent...and also needs change gears and half nut.
The A...ts has a great paint job and stuff, but if a flat bed machine then a light duty/hobby machine that is limited to light duty and limited depth of cuts.
Know how to check out a lathe for running condition. Best to buy form a user not a machine flipper. best to see one running and try it out with asking the right questions.
Good to spend an extra 500 or $1,000 if that gets you better condition and all the accessories you think you might need.

QT: [Does the Logan, above, have quick change gears?] *Needing to ask that question tells me that you need to find a lathe guy and have him help you select a machine or you may make some big mistakes.

Quick change gears can be very hand, but some guys do fine with changing gears

You aren't allowed to use the A...s word here. Too hobbyist grade. The other two need quite a bit of cleanup and other work. Easy for some, not so easy if you're new to this. That SB is worth half of asking and the Logan has to have changegears. I actually like changegears and there's no QC box on my Logan. The chuck on the Logan looks way too big- they usually have small light duty spindles and use a 5 or 6" chuck. Probably best to keep looking unless you can get a smokin' deal and want to learn machine rebuilding.

I'd wait, it's slim pickings locally at the moment. There were better options a few months ago.

I have a pretty nicely equipped Jet 1325 BDR (belt driven, 13x25, no change gears needed) Taiwan, not china, made lathe I'll probably be parting with soon, around your budget.

Only caveat, and I'd argue that this is still much better than you're likely to end up with, is that there may need to be a bearing replacement in it's future, because of an odd 0.001" runout approx every other revolution of the spindle. I haven't had a chance to get it torn apart and likely won't. However, it does not affect the ability to produce good finishes and results, and many older lathes will probably have a lot more runout consistently. Harden ways, in very good shape. It was a "random op" machine in a small business that made exercise equipment, they bought it new, barely used it. I've used it to learn, don't think I've beaten it up too bad, no crashes.

Let me know if it's something your interested in and we can talk. I'm upgrading to a much bigger machine, but this is my daily runner atm. Have at least 2 chucks (original import, and a nice Logan branded (USA Buck) 8" adjustable 3 jaw), depending on price I also have a very nice 6" 4-jaw Buck that was NOS when I got it. No taper attachment, and no original steady or follow, but I've got a steady and follow from a similar sized lathe that will be very easy to adapt. Has a BXA (Phase-II) QCTP also, holders optional. Live center, dead centers, lots of HSS tool blanks, etc, etc.

Under power, in my shop, in Black Mountain right off I-40, you can test it, and I can show you what's good and what could use a bit of tlc. On original stand fyi, single phase motor setup can be wired for 110 or 220.

^^^ there you go, that's not a bad machine to learn on....and the bearing thing is basically how they are from new...if you ever get to the point you need better you can upgrade to P5 bearings for about 200 bucks...or just resell it for what you bought it for.

I'll have a logan 820 for sale here soon, it is a 10x24.
The black and steel is what it is going to look like.
The green is what it looked like before.

20190519_182217.jpg
20190519_182407.jpg
20190314_150924.jpg

^^^ there you go, that's not a bad machine to learn on....and the bearing thing is basically how they are from new...if you ever get to the point you need better you can upgrade to P5 bearings for about 200 bucks...or just resell it for what you bought it for.

Yeah at least they'd know what they're getting into. I didn't know enough for a long time, to know to, or how to check the run-out accurately, but honestly I can't complain, it's been a great machine, and frankly, I have very little real justification to upgrade, simply, *want* bigger and badder.

I was going to simply keep it as a second op lathe, but I've got a line on a nice Hardinge turret lathe, and an idea (justification) for getting one.

Either way OP, regardless of whether you're interested in my lathe, hit me up if you want someone you can call for a second opinion, and/or if you need any help. I've got a lot going on, especially for the next few weeks, but I'll help if I can.

Back