What's new
What's new

Value of old Scotchman Cold Saw

Econdron

Hot Rolled
Anyone ever buy one of these? what did you pay? It's one of the green versions, CPO 350 LT to be exact, not the newer blue ones. Though it has a new motor on it that's blue. People seem to think these things are worth way more than they are. I see these being listed for $2,500-$5,000. I bought mine for $150 with infeed and outfeed tables and adjustable length stop up to 86". Though I put about $800 into it fixing it. I'm now replacing it with a semi-auto Doringer saw. I MIGHT keep the Scotchman as a second saw, but I haven't decided yet. It works great, but the vice handles have broken off and been replaced with just long bolts, the pull-down handle broke off and has been replaced with a shop-made handle, coolant pump stopped working and was replaced with a cheap fountain pump, and it's very dirty. Anyone know what one of these is worth? Off the top of my head I would guess $500-$1,000 in it's current condition. If I'm only going to get $500 for it, I'll just keep it. If I could get $1,500 I would sell it in a heartbeat. Thoughts? Located near Chicago, there's probably 3-4 cold saws on my local Craigslist at any given time.

Prices for this kind of thing vary widely, depending on location.

I have NEVER seen a cold saw on the Seattle Craigslist, although I am sure one comes up every year or two.
So, out here, you might be able to get $1500 or $2000 for it.

But if there are actually cold saws on your local craigslist, then most likely your market has more supply and less demand than mine.

Still, Craigslist is free- list it, at a price you like, and see if you get any bites.

What kind of cut tolerance can you hold with it? We sometimes have blanks cold saw cut to +/- .005".

I'm not sure, I've never checked it's repeatability. Though I don't have the DRO stop required to get .005" accuracy from the stop. My tolerances are usually +/- 1/16"

I bought a 10" 2 speed Bewo cold saw I think now sold by Scotchman. Found it at a garage sale that advertised tools for sale.
It is 3 phase and they didn't have any way of letting me run it so I told them that not knowing if it worked or not I would only give them $100.00. Everything worked great including the coolant pump.

Back