What's new
What's new

Value of Oliver 21 drill grinder ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Quiet running, with both size V block drill clamps, works perfectly, moderate clean in appearance.... typical highest price it might sell at these days ? (i.e. I couldn't care less about hearing of the one you got for 50 bucks at a farm auction where you were the only one that knew what it was)

I saw one on eBay go just slightly over a grand a little while back. I seem to have $1100 stuck in my mind, but I have no way to look that listing up now. It was the newer 21HD with stand and came with four drill holding clamps---one small, three large, IIRC. Located in CA. It was listed maybe a month and a half or two before it sold, but I reason not many people have a common, saved search that would turn one of those up.

I saw one on eBay go just slightly over a grand a little while back. I seem to have $1100 stuck in my mind, but I have no way to look that listing up now. It was the newer 21HD with stand and came with four drill holding clamps---one small, three large, IIRC. Located in CA. It was listed maybe a month and a half or two before it sold, but I reason not many people have a common, saved search that would turn one of those up.
Mine is likely not the HD model, but that is interesting, thanks. Curious the three large clamps, as you only need one small and one large to cover the full range.

No model 21 in there...how is that relevant ??
Just thought that if you keep checking with that search for completed Oliver drill grinders it might give you an idea of value. I always search for completed and sold to get an idea of what something sold for before. Auctions tend to give an indication of what people have been willing to pay for something.
Sorry there was no model 21.

Milacron -

Ancient history, but I bought one from a guy in Libertyville, Ill. back in 2003 for $250, but cost another $100 for shipping. It was a 21S in good condition. In about 2006, I bought a 21HD in fair condition for $375 plus about $100 shipping. Neither machine included a stand. The 21S came with both a large and small drill holder and a separate point setting jig; the 21HD only had one small drill holder (bought a large one here on PM for it later). I think you could get $800 to $1,000 for a nice 21HD; maybe a little less for a 21S with the little point setting jig. The 21HD does the "Oliver point" while the 21S does not - the Oliver point has no real benefit on smaller drills.

A.T.

Bought a 21HD about 5 years ago at an auction. paid around $300 with both chucks. Been using it ever since, great drill grinder in my opinion. Don't think they ever came with a stand as the oliver catalog dosen't show a stand for any of the 21 models.

I was searching around and I came upon this thread. I know it’s a couple years old but I thought I’d revive it. What do you gentleman thank of the brierley drill grinder compared to the all oliver 21?

I was searching around and I came upon this thread. I know it’s a couple years old but I thought I’d revive it. What do you gentleman thank of the brierley drill grinder compared to the all oliver 21?

Have you personally operated each machine ?

No I have not. I’d like to sharpen the drills that I have. I don’t have a drill grinder but I thought these two choices were very good ones.

They are, and having run both of them, they are wildly different in both aligning and grinding the bit.

Th Brierly uses a plunge action to grind relief on the drill, can also be used to freshen up side relief on taps. Have not used a model 21HD, but lovethe model 600 for big drills. For the small ones, I use a darex M2 and get good results; quick and easy. The darex M4/M5 gives me fits, would not pick one of those out of the junk yard for free.

Back