What's new
What's new

Vintage machine equipment from former M/C repair shop, need help to value, sell

dnaj11

Plastic
I run a small one person vintage motorcycle shop and recently acquired the contents of my friend's similar shop after he passed away. He was more of a machinist than I, (I tend to send my stuff out cause I dont have much volume). Anyway, the deal included (1) an old but working Sunnen LB honing machine with extra stones, cutters, etc, (2) a Kwik-way valve resurfacing machine, (3) a crankshaft truing stand and (4) and Van Doren Perfect-o 944 boring bar (believed to me new) with no cutter and no hold-down and (5) a kwik-way drum brake arching machine, which is mostly packed in cosmoline.

I'm trying to place a value on these so I can move them on. I'll try to post photos, but if my photos dont work, I have an album of photos on google. Shop Equipment - Google Photos

20200909_150624.jpg20200909_150638.jpg20200910_110331.jpg20200910_110528.jpg20200909_150406.jpg

Have to admit I am not very familiar. Does seem like little Sunnen hones have a wide range of asking prices, though. I'd probably start at $500 for the hone and go down.

metalmagpie

It's "Van Norman" not Doren by the way. And sad to say the boring bar without it's tooling cat's paws ,cutter,setting Mic is worth very little .However, they make real nice floor lamp bases !! LOL I'll bet 50% of that style boring bar is missing it's tooling ???

I realize that your post was not intended as a sales ad, but as I am trying to build a machine shop to enhance my ability to make precision parts for our cabinet making shop, I was immediately drawn to the Sunnen LB honing machine with stones. I don’t have an unlimited budget but I am keenly interested in that piece. Please contact me via my posted email address. I can likely make arrangements within 24 hours provided it all works. Thanks

I realize that your post was not intended as a sales ad, but as I am trying to build a machine shop to enhance my ability to make precision parts for our cabinet making shop, I was immediately drawn to the Sunnen LB honing machine with stones. I don’t have an unlimited budget but I am keenly interested in that piece. Please contact me via my posted email address. I can likely make arrangements within 24 hours provided it all works. Thanks

As soon as I can ascertain fair value, then yes. I'm just trying not to short change myself in the interim. I've seen prior threads here on this subject. $500-800 was the estimate a few years back for similar ones depending on tooling but junk ones worthless. Dunno if this still holds today. This one does have the oiler.

I bought a sunnen hone on a home made (out of 55 gal drum) stand, with some mandrels and some stones - $300. Yours has a factory base so, it's worth more, I'd think.

We bought a valve grinder just like that for $1000, and it came with a setup for doing seats, and a bunch of assorted tooling for that.

I would be interested in buying some of the mandrels for the sunnen hone if you are wanting to sell them at the right price, especially the AN stone holder (the one in the machine in the picture). PM me if interested in selling.

Back