What's new
What's new

W T B Wilton "square wheel" belt sander

I pretty much gave one away a couple years ago. Needed some work and a few parts though. They are actually called Square Wheel Grinders. Good luck.

Grant

I may be able to get it back. I will see if I can locate the fellas info and email him. I will ask what he wants for it. He is close by so I could arrange shipping, etc. IF it worked out.

I see that jet is now making a copy of the real thing.......go figure more taiwan crap

Since Wilton & Jet are part of the same corporate structure, it's somewhat possible that it's built from the same prints. I wouldn't bet much on it being as good as the original, but I've been wrong before. It might be worth your time to look into it.

I see that jet is now making a copy of the real thing.......go figure more taiwan crap

I'm confused........I thought China was 'crap' but Taiwan was 'good'! If it's made well in Taiwan is it still 'crap' because it's made in Taiwan?:confused:

I wonder if this could be called 'geographic profiling'.

Stuart

I'm confused........I thought China was 'crap' but Taiwan was 'good'! If it's made well in Taiwan is it still 'crap' because it's made in Taiwan?:confused:

I wonder if this could be called 'geographic profiling'.

Stuart

Yes it is....I am tired of seeing Things that were made here being copied in Taiwan / China. After everything is off shored and no one is working who is going to buy all the imports? MSC quoted me 1850.00 for a Wilton, why is the jet priced at 2400,00 to 2750,00? I thought the offshore deal was to keep the price down... the only difference I can see between them is the color...... white paint must be more expensive.....

The Wilton and the Jet are exactly the same machines-
There are two- one with 4600 fpm belt speed, the other with infinitely variable speed.
The model numbers are even the same- the fixed speeds are either the Jet 4103, or the Wilton 4103.
And the "list price" is about the same for each- its just that when you go online, you find different companies discounting one or the other different amounts.

The list price on the variable speed, either Wilton or Jet, is something like $3500, but nobody sells em for that much.
The list price for the fixed speed is more like $2900.

So virtually ALL the prices you see on either are different discounts from list.

My guess is that neither is made in the USA, and that they are both based on the old Wilton design. The Swiss company that owns both Jet and Wilton, and also Powermatic, makes a few things still in the USA- Big Wilton vises, the big powermatic drill presses, and a few other things, but the vast majority of their stuff is made in Taiwan, with, most likely, castings from the mainland (china). Since China and Taiwan each, individually, has more Meehanite foundries than we have left here, and hundreds more cheaper foundries, its a rare tool that costs less than $50,000 that has US cast iron in it anymore. Brian, at Versamill, is a holdout, but as far as I know, even bridgeports have castings from Asia.

I would look at Burr King, Bader, and other made in USA competitors if I was you, as well.

Question- is it a "copy", if it is still made by the same company that always made em?
If a Wilton, made by Wilton, is from Taiwan, and its a copy, then doesnt that mean that the South Bend lathes from France, Spain, Australia and Korea (South Bend had lathes made in all those countries, during the 70's and 80's) are "copies"?
Are Bridgeports, made by Hardinge, from Taiwan castings, "copies"?

Jet has been a Swiss company since the mid 90's or so. Wilton for around 5 to 7 years now. Same with Powermatic.
So none are "american", but none are "chi-com", either- Maier, which owns em, is a big Swiss based multinational, whose main business is actually HVAC in europe- tools in america are just a sideline for em.
The guys that own Milwaukee, while based in Hong Kong, are multinational as well- the CEO and half owner of the company is German, born and raised, and his partner is mainland Chinese, who moved to Hong Kong 30 years or so to get away from the commies- so what does that make them?
To me, its gotten all so intermingled that its really hard to make snap judgements about ownership- as I love to tell my buddies who brag about their 6 or 8 year old Dodge Ram trucks, at the time they were built, the largest shareholders in Diamler Benz, which in turn owned Chrysler, were Saudi Princes- so really, If a Toyota made in Kentucky is Japanese, then a Ram made in the USA at that time was Saudi- hows that for really making your patriotic blood flow?

Last edited:
I used a Square Wheel back in the 80's. It was a good grinder but I never could understand why it cost so much. It's basically a glorified belt sander. What in the world makes it cost over $2500 new?
Grainger sold them for around $900 in the late 80's if my memory is right and I wondered the same thing back then.
Ralph

I have one and have been considering a second. I have heard of guys laying them horizontal and building them into a table. Thinking about it for the second one, but no time now. I would echo Ries' comments and look at Burr King offerings or even one of the surplus Porter Cables or Kalamazoos- but they are a whole different animal too.

Mine is a fixed speed, which I find way too fast. Tru Grit sells a 7 1/2" slow down pulley which makes the machine way more friendly.

Was doing paperwork at the shop this am and took a break and snapped some pics. Regards.

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

there is a PM member that builds something simular, a couple years since seeing a post that referanced his product. try posting an inquiry in the cnc section
mike

Back