Used

Time left: Will end in 3 Days as noted Pacific Time:

3d 05h (Jan 28, 201318:30:29 PST)

Current bid:

US $3,394.00

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It will go much higher than $4k. Last one they sold last week sold for $8100

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The emco was a good call. You can step up to a SB heavy ten, or a SB 13" machine if you need
    to in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrgt350 View Post
    It will go much higher than $4k. Last one they sold last week sold for $8100
    The bluish gray porch paint may hold it back some. But then the free advertising here may run it up some. Wonder how he knows it's "nice" ? I've seen much nicer looking HLV-H's than that one where the amount of bed wear near the headstock was quite surprising.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you want a Hardinge for cheap, buy an HC. These are the least desirable, but greater in quantity because they are chuckers. Many shops made a golden goose egg off these machines.

I have 2 chuckers, a manual and CNC, and I can assure you they are capable of doing some very nice work. I've got a 5 inch chuck on the manual and 6 inch chuck on the CNC.

You can get a nice HC with tooling for $2k, much less for a more beat-up one for a lot less.

The step-child of the HLV-H is the TFB, the same thing without a change box for threading.

On the crazy end of the spectrum, I've thought about modifying the HC, taking the turret off and making a compound for it, without doing a "permanent" modification.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A 2003 HLV-H, I think EM just sold for 25,000 on e-bay. Now instead of wanting one for myself, I want one to sell. Greg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i work at the place that sold it we have a really clean one on C list the are asking 12,000 for it but i can talk to my dad and see what he say i think he said they would take 10k for it man... so clean i played with it a few times lol CLEAN HARDINGE HLV-H PRECISION TOOLROOM LATHE

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Obviously someone did a slop-on repaint with that one.......that's unfortunate.
    I can remember the brand new white ones at Hardinge out in final assembly.....I admit I always had
    a soft spot in my heart for those....they were just beautiful.

dk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hardinge HLV-H Wanted

Hi Greg,

Not sure if we talked once on the phone or not. Anyway, like you I wanted a HLV-H and searched for years to find one outside the "12K range." I searched and searched and the best I could do with any tooling was about 9K.

Then one day I started calling various machinery dealers. I came clean telling them I was a hobbyist and that my budget was in the $6-7K range. Literally, there were times I'd just get a dial tone after explaining my situation. THEN, one day I came across Dave Hildebrand of Hildebrand Machinery up in York, PA. He listened to my situation and was very kind explaining he had several HLV-H's in stock. He said he'd look through his stock to find one best suited for my situation. Well, he called me back about a 1968 machine that was truly LOADED. I made a day trip up to his warehouse and was blown-away! The lathe he was offering me was a dream-machine. The only problem was the color - it was blue and I wanted the original paint color (later to be fixed by me). We ran the machine and it was smooth as silk. I estimated the TIR (uisng a 50 millionths indicator) at maybe 0.000,012" I left a deposit and picked it up about two weeks later. Dave had it beautifuly crated for me and I brought it home in a U-Haul. I've been in love ever since.

I have no business dealings whatsoever with Dave, I'm just a happy customer. Here's his website; if you're serious contact him and see what he has to offer you:

Hildebrand Machinery Co

Oh, BTW, YES, he got me the machine within my budget.

Regards,

Mike
    Charlottesville, VA
    [email protected]

PS Send me an email if you would like some photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrgt350 View Post
    I am new here. Looking for a good used HLV-H with tooling. Would like to stay in the 5-6k range. I know that is low for what I am asking for. Have decided that I would rather have this machine than a cheap china lathe.

I am a car/motorcycle hobbiest. Do not know what I will use it for other than I have a small sherline lathe and have used it to make several bushings, washers, threaded pins and such. Will be selling the sherline if I find something. Just want a bigger lathe and feel that an HLV-H will be one that will serve my needs well.

If you know of one or have one send me a PM or e-mail to [email protected]

Thanks
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike,
    We did talk on the phone and I did contact Dave. He had a 550 volt machine that was not to bad for price but no tooling and I really did not want to deal with the voltage change. I gave up on the hlv and ended up with a really nice emco v13. Had to do a vfd to convert my single phase power to 3 phase. Also added a el400 dro and added a bison 6 jaw chuck yo the existing 3 and 4 jaw chucks. It has a kdk tool post so I am on the look out for extra 150 series tool holders. Purchased 7 tooling kits from Arthur Warner tooling, very nice stuff. This will get me going and if I like having a lathe I will still keep my eyes open for a good deal on a hlv h.

Thanks for you help on this.
    Greg