What's new
What's new

Wanted: Brother S700 or similar for garage shop

dnomode

Plastic
Hey everyone. I'm looking to buy my first machine to put in my garage. I was considering a new Haas Super Mini Mill 2, however after reading around, I'm thinking a used Brother might be a better option.

Looking at a Brother S700 with the following options:

BBT
Thru spindle coolant
Probe and tool setter
Chip conveyor
High Accuracy mode BII 200 block look ahead

I'm located in North Georgia.

Thanks
Edmond

Yamazan guys in norcross are great. I haven’t needed much help really but for the few things I did need they were able to be very helpful.

Look at new they are not that expensive. We looked for used but couldn’t find anything worth pursuing.

While the machine is absolutely great for the production we are doing with it I would not consider it a good machine for job shop use or general type use. Absolutely killer for production though.

There is one on ebay right now that looks like it ticks all your boxes. Not usually a whole lot of used Speedios on the market to pick & choose from.

Yamazan guys in norcross are great. I haven’t needed much help really but for the few things I did need they were able to be very helpful.

Look at new they are not that expensive. We looked for used but couldn’t find anything worth pursuing.

While the machine is absolutely great for the production we are doing with it I would not consider it a good machine for job shop use or general type use. Absolutely killer for production though.

what are the weaknesses of the speedio for job shop use?

what are the weaknesses of the speedio for job shop use?

Its real simple: 30 taper spindle. You limit yourself to the work you can take on.
You can make a teeny-tiny part in a 50 taper machine, if you have to. But, your not going to finish a 4" tall side wall on steel in a Brother.
If you know exactly what work you will be doing, and it fits the Brother parameters? Yea! They are great.
If you have no clue what might come in the door? You are limited to that 30 taper spindle.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

wheelieking71 - the machine on ebay is what I was looking for, however the dealer said its sold. :(

Ianagos - I am talking with Yamazan guys in Norcross on a new machine, however if I can save money on used, that would be awesome. Thanks

My ceiling in the garage is 106". I'm not familiar with small machines. I've always been around larger machines. I wanted to go with an Okuma, however their machines are to tall. What machine would you all recommend? I don't have work lined up for it yet. This will just be a machine to start something while keeping my 9 to 5 job. However I want something reliable and something with good repeatability that wont require me to chase tolerances.

Thanks
Edmond

Back