What's new
What's new

Wanted : Burke/Powermatic Millrite

vinnito1

Plastic
Hi Everyone,

I'm searching for a Burke/Powermatic MVN Millrite for hobby use. My garage space is limited, so I am unable to fit a BP sized knee mill in my work area, both in the width and depth dimensions. I've use to be able to use the Dallas Markers Space mills for some projects, but between work and having a young family, I cannot justify the hour one-way drive.

From my inter-web forum browsing, I believe the Millrite would best fit the bill when compared to the Delta/Rockwell 21-1XX or Clausing 85XX types. Any of these would be a nice upgrade from my import drill mill. If anyone has a lead on one in decent condition, I'd be interested in finding out more, regardless of the quill taper. An R8 would be ideal but I can live with BS#9. I've been checking regularly in Craiglist, Facebook classifieds, and groups.io with not much luck since they only pop up every couple of months. I'm located in Fort Worth TX and would be willing to pickup anywhere within a days driving distance. My budget is in ~2K range...of course condition and tooling can raise or lower this number.

Have you checked with Miller MAchine up in Illinois? Be a four day road trip from the metroplex but well worth it. Watch HGR for stuff they get in. They now have a warehouse in south Ft. Worth.

There's Millrite in Athens, AL; $1,750 ( marketplace). But afraid its a bit out of your reach. I cut my my teeth on one of those 20 yrs ago; really nice machine. Had B & S 9 spindle with a nice collet arbor adapter . It was fully Digital thanks to Mititoyo before if left home! Good luck with your search. Just be careful of any R-8 units; been one floating around last few years with a bent spindle in the southeast

Yeah, cut my teeth on a brand new one dad obtained way back in 1969. I was 12 years old. It had a R-8 spindle taper with the longer table and DC variable power feed.

I know about HGR and look at there stuff fairly often. Im not familiar with Miller Machine. I did a search on Google( Miller Machine,IL) and it wasn't obvious to me any sites pulled up were used tool machine dealers.

There's Millrite in Athens, AL; $1,750 ( marketplace). But afraid its a bit out of your reach. I cut my my teeth on one of those 20 yrs ago; really nice machine. Had B & S 9 spindle with a nice collet arbor adapter . It was fully Digital thanks to Mititoyo before if left home! Good luck with your search. Just be careful of any R-8 units; been one floating around last few years with a bent spindle in the southeast

I've seen that one posted in AL and I think I will pass based on distance. Thanks for the heads up about the bent R8 spindle.

HGR in Ft Worth has a decent looking Bridgeport mill listed. For the price, I'd jump on it if I was you. Studying the pictures, it may be dirty, but under all that dirt may be good mill. I believe it is the shorter table mill too. Pretty much the same foot print as a Millright mill.

Back