What's new
What's new

Wanted: G&L Horizontal Boring Mill - No Outriggers if possible

Way Out

Plastic
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy a G&L HBM. Let me know if you have a good machine for sale. Below are some particulars, but I am open to hearing what you have for sale.

I would like a machine that does not have outriggers. I am curious to find out if any of the 5" spindle models do not have outriggers.

4" or larger spindle.

I have never ran one with the aux spindle, so I was initially looking for one with only one spindle, but I am open to suggestions and hear why people who use the aux spindle like them.

Email is the best way to reach me. [email protected]

Thanks,

Aaron

I ran G&L boring mills for a LOT of years. Most had the aux spindle. They were older machines and the main spindle only had about 375 RPM. The aux spindle was there mainly for drilling at smaller diameters and could go faster. In all the years I worked with those machines I never once saw anyone use the aux spindle. Every one had a copper strap bolted across the front of the spindle nose to keep them from drifting out, and I never saw one removed. So anyway, I wouldn't really worry about whether a machine I was purchasing had one or not...

And yes, I have seen 5" G&Ls with no outriggers. They are only available with a pretty small table.

Thanks for the insight into the aux spindle. I have ran both 5" and 6" G&L's and neither had the aux spindle. Both of those machines I ran also had the spindle clutch forward / reverse lever, though I am finding a few examples that do not have that lever and the spindle is operated from the pendant. I ran a 6" Lucas that had most of the controls on the pendant and didn't mind it, but there was no manual engaging feed levers also where bumping the spindle lever could help a person engage those. Any thoughts on G&L's with or without that lever?

I like the lever, it's good for slipping the clutch when you need a very slow speed, say using a large HSS cutter to cut spotfaces, etc. Also for jogging the spindle around while indexing inserts in cutters, or jogging while indicating a bore, etc. And of course for shifting gear ranges, as you've mentioned.

I've run plenty of pendant machines also, most of the G&Ls have a soft start that ramps the spindle up to speed fairly slowly, so it's possible to jog those too, but it's nowhere near as smooth as the clutch lever. They also tend to trip the thermal overload if you do it repeatedly. If you have to get the pendant operated machine I would either steer clear of anything that doesn't have the soft start available or add one myself.

My 4" Kuraki is all on the pendent, no clutch lever. It has a jog button that gets used a lot. I would much prefer a clutch handle, but I could also see how I wouldn't want to tear into a HBM headstock to replace clutches either.

If you don't find a G&L I would sell my Kuraki. It's a KBT-1003W from the late 70's. It's about 42K lbs with a built in power rotary. I have tailstock, big and small boring bars, spindle extensions, books and manuals. etc. It's 1200 RPM 50 taper with power drawbar and has a pretty fresh Newall DRO. I also have a very large cylindrical square, about 3' tall, that would go with the machine for setting it up. The base is all one piece, no outriggers.

Yeah I have a feeling I would miss the clutch lever, although I have a good friend who runs a pendant G&L and said he has gotten used to it after 10 years on a lever machine.

As for outriggers, I will not be doing concrete work and I know that is the optimal way to install a machine with outriggers. I have ran a machine that was up on blocks and the added height is somewhat of a pain aside from the less than ideal rigidity. I am not completely against a machine with outriggers because I know the table will be larger and more useful. There is no such thing I have found as too big of a table. I was trying to get away with the least amount of machine I needed to take advantage of some of the larger mill work we have around here. I will just have to see what is available and make my decision then I suppose.

Yes I have and you are right about being closest to me. I have a good friend in Montana planning to check it out soon for me.

Yeah I have a feeling I would miss the clutch lever, although I have a good friend who runs a pendant G&L and said he has gotten used to it after 10 years on a lever machine.

As for outriggers, I will not be doing concrete work and I know that is the optimal way to install a machine with outriggers. I have ran a machine that was up on blocks and the added height is somewhat of a pain aside from the less than ideal rigidity. I am not completely against a machine with outriggers because I know the table will be larger and more useful. There is no such thing I have found as too big of a table. I was trying to get away with the least amount of machine I needed to take advantage of some of the larger mill work we have around here. I will just have to see what is available and make my decision then I suppose.

Just up on blocks ? Or a weldment of 12" WF beams under there ?
I have detailed those foundations, and yes, there is digging, and "artisan concrete" work as well.
I think a good heavy weldment could be made to replace much of that, and by making it square, have a platform for the operator.

When I said "blocks" I meant the machine was up on individual 12"x12" square tubing capped with 3/4" plate on either side. We had a 6" Lucas that saw most of the heavy work at that shop, but both machines were not setup correctly. I guess we found a way to make it work.

Back