What's new
What's new

Wanted: Heavy, compact, nice lathe, within 3-4 hours of Western NC

javan.dempsey

Aluminum
I'll preface this by saying; I'm looking for a good deal, but not trying to rob anybody. I know this is probably a bit of a long-shot, but it can't hurt to ask right?

I want (don't need, I'm a glorified hobbyist, but I'm not afraid of big iron, prefer it, and can move it, within reason (say 8,000lb is about as much as I'd want to move in this case)), as heavy and nice a manual lathe as I can find, for a good deal, within a reasonable driving distance of 28711. I can't spend 20k, or anything like that. Preferably 2-3 thousand, may be able to go up quite a bit depending on the machine, circumstances, and accessories.

I need a machine that can take heavy interrupted cuts, without hesitation, but still do precision work and give good finishes. I'm not interested in anything like a 10EE, any smaller hobby lathes, or anything like an HLV-H, I need more swing, and as much weight and rigidity as I can find, in a length under 10ft give or take, 8ft or under would be advantageous, shop space is at a premium, and I don't really need more than 30-36" between centers. I don't really need more than say 13" swing, but the bigger the better, as long as it meets the length requirements. Something like the Pacemaker that was just posted up north, or a larger, compact Monarch, etc.

Want something with a locking chuck, preferably in a common configuration. Taper attachment would be nice. Automatic carriage feed stop would be really useful for me (not for threading, just for OD turning), I know there are some with this feature.

Nothing that needs crazy work, especially with complex electrical/electronics system, but clean-up, and some restoration work is expected. I do want something with good bearings, minimal runout and nice ways. Metric threading isn't mandatory, I have a smaller import lathe that can do that.

Doesn't have to be American, but prefer no Chinese machines. (Europe, Japan, etc, is fine).

I have a large trailer, a truck, and am extremely adept and persistent at loading things the hard way, but it'd be nice if it can be loaded.

Machine will be used lovingly, and with great enthusiasm, by a small, one man shop, that would give it a great home, and not beat it to death, FWIW. ;)

Anyway, anybody that bothers to read all that, thanks for your time. Anybody that reads all that, and thinks they have a machine for me, please PM, email ([email protected], or call me: 828.702.6910. Cheers!

Oh yeah, that's sort of what prompted this post. Too much of a drive definitely. I'm not good for anything over 3-4 hours in a sitting, regardless of the deal, and I'd probably have a heart attack trying to drive a loaded trailer through as many cities as I'd have to traverse. I know some of you guys can do it in your sleep, but I simply wasn't built for it, no matter how secure, I'm always worried about the load.

With your $3,000 budget you could have bought the aforementioned lathe, had it delivered, and still have had a little money left over.

With your $3,000 budget you could have bought the aforementioned lathe, had it delivered, and still have had a little money left over.

Probably, but I'm in a non-commercial area, at the end of a dead end road that's difficult to turn a large truck around in, and don't have a forklift to unload. I could have had it shipped to the local depot and picked it up there maybe, but it sounds like that guy had a bunch of interest.

I also like to deal in cash, face to face.

Back