What's new
What's new

Wanted High quality toolroom lathe-Midwest

MCritchley

Stainless
We are looking for a good manual toolroom lathe Preferably a Monarch 10EE or a Hardinge HLV-H. Must be in good shape and would ideally have a readout.
Just curious what's available within driving distance from Wisconsin

We are looking for a good manual toolroom lathe Preferably a Monarch 10EE or a Hardinge HLV-H. Must be in good shape and would ideally have a readout.
Just curious what's available within driving distance from Wisconsin

Present day? "Revenue shop", not hobby?

There are used "teach in" CNC/manual hybrid lathes out there for similar prices to 10EE or Hardinge that are actually in "ready-to-use" not "project" condition.

Manufacturing Manager, "bean counter", and ULM hat on now, a(ny) decent one of that sort could save you a LOT on fully burdened labour cost going forward.

Present day? "Revenue shop", not hobby?

There are used "teach in" CNC/manual hybrid lathes out there for similar prices to 10EE or Hardinge that are actually in "ready-to-use" not "project" condition.

Manufacturing Manager, "bean counter", and ULM hat on now, a(ny) decent one of that sort could save you a LOT on fully burdened labour cost going forward.

Thanks for the advice, surprised it took you this long to respond. I didn't say that we were looking for a project, I know the value of both time and money.

Thanks for the advice, surprised it took you this long to respond. I didn't say that we were looking for a project, I know the value of both time and money.

Clearly NOT a "project", no. But you MUST also know what ready to run Grand-Olds are going for as well?

And it isn't just the machine, is wot I'm reminding you of.

It has BEEN getting harder and harder to find the folks who can make good USE of an all-manual machine-tool in the "current" time.

It will get harder, each year, coming. "Subtractive" machining itself is declining in share.

A really decent hybrid and current all-manual mavins can adapt.
So, too CNC'ish folk.

Hopefully, even outright newbies?

Fully-burdened cost of TRAINING good people can easily cost more than equipping them.

And then .... ANY firm can still have staff turnover?

Payback can come off as soon as the second item of any repeat tasking.

Thanks Dave, that is not a space i check. I'll look into it.

Lagun's toolroom lathes are (American) "Turnmaster". Their mills are .. well... "improvements-on" "parallel developments to.." or even "bigger descendents of" ... the venerable Cinncy "Toolmaster" style.

Lathes (Manual) | Lagun

My question would be if these are actually built in Basque-Country Spain.. (which I'd class as a big plus..) or - hauntingly familiar as their shapes are - might actually be re-badged Taiwanese goods?

Lagun's toolroom lathes are (American) "Turnmaster". Their mills are .. well... "improvements-on" "parallel developments to.." or even "bigger descendents of" ... the venerable Cinncy "Toolmaster" style.

Lathes (Manual) | Lagun

My question would be if these are actually built in Basque-Country Spain.. (which I'd class as a big plus..) or - hauntingly familiar as their shapes are - might actually be re-badged Taiwanese goods?

Taiwan according to the name plate

We have a customer that is changing their process with a mint 2008 Hardinge HLVH. Any interest? Machine is located in Illinois......

Yes please, PM me the contact info.

Its impressive how Many HLV-H's are available vs 10-EE's There are quite a few listed for sale close by.

Just one thing...if you do look at a CNC machine, the Prototrak lathes do decent work are are easy enough to use, but they are an ergonomic nightmare to operate.

We actually just set down a nice 1980 HLV-H that we bought from Belmont Machinery in Chicago. They were great to deal with and was by far the cleanest dealer that ive have dealt with. Glad we bought the real thing vs a clone. Huge difference between the two.

Attachments

• Lathe.jpg
    Lathe.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 304
Well damn. I literally created my account yesterday and sent a PM to MCritchley. I started working at a used machinery dealer a few months back, and since then I've visited Practical Machinist a few times to learn about/research different machines. I'm still new to the machining industry. It wasn't until yesterday that I discovered the machinery for sale/wanted forum, and this is my first post. I'm not sure if OP saw my PM, but I'm now worried he will think/thinks I'm a scammer. We have several Hardinge HLV-H machines and one Monarch 10EE available for sale. Any suggestions to prove my credibility? I included company/contact info, and a link to view the machines on our website in my PM.

Back